Tools of the Trade Cast Iron Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkaylady

Senior Cook
I just purchased this CI grilling pan at Macys. It is not seasoned. Is this a good brand and what is the best way to season it. I only have olive oil on hand, is that OK or do I need to get some other type of vegetable oil?

I just purchased this CI grilling pan at Macys. It is not seasoned. Is this a good brand and what is the best way to season it. I only have olive oil on hand, is that OK or do I need to get some other type of vegetable oil?

Which pan? Your link or pic is not coming through.
Most new "seasoned" CI pans really aren't, so even though yours is unseasoned it should behave like the rest. Which means the best seasoning is by using it. Preferably by cooking bacon and cornbread in it :) The new ones aren't like the old ones, so don't expect it to shine like a black mirror.

Which pan? Your link or pic is not coming through.
Most new "seasoned" CI pans really aren't, so even though yours is unseasoned it should behave like the rest. Which means the best seasoning is by using it. Preferably by cooking bacon and cornbread in it :) The new ones aren't like the old ones, so don't expect it to shine like a black mirror.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that I purchased a Tools of the Trade Cast Iron pan. It is a grilling pan as it is square with ridges inside for grilling meat on the stove top among other things. It comes with a cast iron weight that also has ridges which can be used for making panini sandwiches or can also be used as a weight to put on the steak or chicken or whatever you are grilling. It seems like a good quality pan as it is very heavy. You are right, it is not as smooth as an old one would be but for grilling steaks and burgers it will be sufficient.

I just need to season it before using it. The instructions come with the pan but they are different than some I have read online and, as a matter of fact, I have read many different ways to do it which can be confusing.

I would go with the instructions that come with the pan but having said that I find that it is best to season the pan in the outdoor grill instead of in the oven. That process can get pretty smoky and set off alarms (voice of experience). I set my grill as high as it will go and stick the oiled pan in there. No worries about smoking up the house.

I would go with the instructions that come with the pan but having said that I find that it is best to season the pan in the outdoor grill instead of in the oven. That process can get pretty smoky and set off alarms (voice of experience). I set my grill as high as it will go and stick the oiled pan in there. No worries about smoking up the house.

Unfortunately I only have a charcoal grill not a gas grill so that would be a little more complicated. Now that you are saying that about the smoke alarms going off I am a little nervous about doing this in my oven. Also, my regular oven is broken but I have a convection/microwave oven big enough to fit the pan so I was going to set it for convection and put it in there. Now I am getting a little unsure of using that since it is not as large as a regular oven and could cause more smoke. I'm getting discouraged. :(

I use my oven and haven't had problems with smoke. I use regular vegetable oil (I usually have canola on hand). I pour a little on the pan and then use a paper towel to coat the pan. be sure to get an even layer all over. You don't want it too thick and it shouldn't run off the pan. Be generous but don't over do it. Turn the pan upside down and bake. I usually do it at 450° for about an hour or so. I will still grease the pan prior to using it except for bacon until I get the slick surface. I have some newer pans and an old Griswold. The Griswold is machined smooth and the newer ones you can still see the sand cast mold. However, the newer ones still get a nice slick surface even if they are not smooth. I would go ahead and try the convection oven.

Oh, don't get discouraged! You can try the convection oven or you might see if a friend or neighbor has a grill they wouldn't mind letting you use. Any way you do it you are not going to ruin your pan so just go for it.

oops. I didn't realize "tools of the trade" was the brand.
I would do as jabbur says. That's how I season mine. I also use canola oil.

jabbur said:
I use my oven and haven't had problems with smoke. I use regular vegetable oil (I usually have canola on hand). I pour a little on the pan and then use a paper towel to coat the pan. be sure to get an even layer all over. You don't want it too thick and it shouldn't run off the pan. Be generous but don't over do it. Turn the pan upside down and bake. I usually do it at 450° for about an hour or so. I will still grease the pan prior to using it except for bacon until I get the slick surface. I have some newer pans and an old Griswold. The Griswold is machined smooth and the newer ones you can still see the sand cast mold. However, the newer ones still get a nice slick surface even if they are not smooth. I would go ahead and try the convection oven.

This is how I season my cast iron pans too. Put some tinfoil in the bottom of the oven, because the pan will probably drip. This will make a nice shiny black surface, which is baked into the pores of the cast iron, and is the first layer of seasoning. Your pan will just get more and more nonstick with use. Also, do not use water to clean it- just use a stiff wire brush, or a dry paper towel and salt as an abrasive.
Be careful with temperatures with your new pan- I always find I have to cook on a lower temperature with cast iron.

Back
Top Bottom