Useful cast iron tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that quote. I cook on natural gas. Build-up of any sort has not been a problem for me. But I'll keep the coals suggestion in mind.

It seems reasonable that the gunk on the outside of the pan is carbon, and carbon is the non-stick surface, and hot coals are hot carbon. It would probably help to do the same thing but with the cooking surface down as another method of restoring your cast iron pan.

CI pans amaze me since they've been around so long, hundreds of years, and yet they perform in many cases as well as modern high-tech non-stick surfaces.

On mine, the gunk the outside is oil. Not sure if that's carbon - it's not burned - but I don't like touching it as I handle my pans.

I saw that quote. I cook on natural gas. Build-up of any sort has not been a problem for me. But I'll keep the coals suggestion in mind.

It seems reasonable that the gunk on the outside of the pan is carbon, and carbon is the non-stick surface, and hot coals are hot carbon. It would probably help to do the same thing but with the cooking surface down as another method of restoring your cast iron pan.

CI pans amaze me since they've been around so long, hundreds of years, and yet they perform in many cases as well as modern high-tech non-stick surfaces.

Go to a yard sale and notice the price of very old CI pans. The older they are, the higher the price. Camping ones are the highest priced. And if you sell all the blood of your first born, you might be able to afford a spider type pot with the lid. Those have the three legs so they can sit right over the coals. How many times have you heard about someone having their grandmothers CI skillet. What really surprises me is the more rust, the higher the price. And folks will pay it. Used CI costs more than brand spanking new. :angel:

On mine, the gunk the outside is oil. Not sure if that's carbon - it's not burned - but I don't like touching it as I handle my pans.

It is carbon. Fats and other cooking oils that may spit and splatter, will land on the outside of your pan. It will build up over the years to a nice thick crust. By placing the pan in the coals, it will heat up the gunk and soften it so you can then take any tool that is thin on the edge and just scrape it off. It is best to do it outside over newspapers. Then you can just roll up the mess. :angel:

It is carbon. Fats and other cooking oils that may spit and splatter, will land on the outside of your pan. It will build up over the years to a nice thick crust. By placing the pan in the coals, it will heat up the gunk and soften it so you can then take any tool that is thin on the edge and just scrape it off. It is best to do it outside over newspapers. Then you can just roll up the mess. :angel:

I clean the outside of the pan when I clean the inside, so gunk doesn't build up.

Coals? Addie, I use my cast iron pans on my stove, not outside. Not sure where you got the idea I'm cooking over live coals, but when I go "camping," it's in a cabin :LOL:

I clean the outside of the pan when I clean the inside, so gunk doesn't build up.

Coals? Addie, I use my cast iron pans on my stove, not outside. Not sure where you got the idea I'm cooking over live coals, but when I go "camping," it's in a cabin :LOL:

I believe she was suggesting that when you fire up the charcoal grill, you use it to make cleaning the outside of your CI easier by placing the pan into the coals after you are done cooking.

Another way to make cleaning the crud off is to place the cast iron into a large garbage bag, along with an open container of ammonia. Do this in the garage, or outside. Close the bag and leave everything sit overnight. When yo remove the pan in the morning, the crud will come off very easily.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I believe she was suggesting that when you fire up the charcoal grill, you use it to make cleaning the outside of your CI easier by placing the pan into the coals after you are done cooking.

Another way to make cleaning the crud off is to place the cast iron into a large garbage bag, along with an open container of ammonia. Do this in the garage, or outside. Close the bag and leave everything sit overnight. When yo remove the pan in the morning, the crud will come off very easily.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My point was that there is no crud on the outside of my CI pans because I clean the outside at the same time as I clean the inside. And I don't have a charcoal grill.

My point was that there is no crud on the outside of my CI pans because I clean the outside at the same time as I clean the inside. And I don't have a charcoal grill.

This would be normal. Why would you not clean the whole pan?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom