Using and cleaning ss cookware 101, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i'm very hard on frying pans, scratch them up real quick and replace them frequently - until now. this time i purchased emeril's proclad stainless steel, thinking my fryer-abusive behavior could now go on tra-la-la right on into the sunset....not happening. this frying pan is a thing of beauty. it is as beautiful as my cherished set of heavy pewter wine goblets. the tapered lip on the stainless frying pan reminds me of a drinking vessel. one could sip brandy from this pan, helping with the pan's shapely slender handle....so you see, i find myself in a position of actually wanting to take care of this beautiful new steel pan. please help me do this--with the minimum amount of bother, (i'm still rough on stuff)....

Two words: Barkeepers Friend

Nice pan.

This is the answer. Judicious use will guarantee clean and shiny cookware with minimum effort.

One caution. Your frying pan is a tool, not a work of art. Tools get marks from proper use and that's an indication it's being used for its intended purpose.

Barkeepers Friend is excellent for removing staining / stuck on bits, ectc.

for avoidance of scratching - go buy a basket full of wooden utensils - spatulas, spoons, tongs, forks, etc. you'll quickly learn which are the most useful for your tasks / style, toss the rest.

for avoidance of scratching - go buy a basket full of wooden utensils - spatulas, spoons, tongs, forks, etc. you'll quickly learn which are the most useful for your tasks / style, toss the rest.

I'm just the opposite. My wooden, silicone and nylon type utensils get used for the couple pieces of non-stick that I have. Not that I don't grab one of them when cooking with SS, but I much prefer metal utensils and that is what I usually go for when using SS. My metal tongs, spatula, a fork or spoon... I love using metal utensils and that is why I try to always use my SS cookware, but it depends on the meal. I don't care that it gets scratched either.

I use wood and silicon on my SS.

Would love some brandy in that snifter!

BK friend too.

Last edited:
I have a set of Kenmore fully clad cookware (wish they still made it, I'd buy a second set, it is that good).

I am amazed at how easy it is to keep shiny and pretty. I run mine through the dishwasher and if the bottoms start to discolor, I hit with barkeeper's friend, sometimes after cooking something starchy I have to do the inside. Thing is, I rarely have to clean it with barkeeper's friend, it stays very clean with just the dishwasher.

I use metal in mine, along with wooden spoons, I don't care if it gets a little "character" inside, it's meant to be used.

Last edited:
I have a set of Kenmore fully clad cookware (wish they still made it, I'd buy a second set, it is that good).

I am amazed at how easy it is to keep shiny and pretty. I run mine through the dishwasher and if the bottoms start to discolor, I hit with barkeeper's friend, sometimes after cooking something starchy I have to do the inside. Thing is, I rarely have to clean it with barkeeper's friend, it stays very clean with just the dishwasher.

I use metal in mine, along with wooden spoons, I don't care if it gets a little "character" inside, it's meant to be used.

so where does this barkeeper's hang out in the supermarket--with the dish detergents? sorry to say, this is the first i've heard of barkeeper's friend....:ohmy:

By the Comet and Ajax powder. At least, here.

Last edited:
a canister of scouring powder then? thanks! any particular brand of cookware that you especially like? i'll be looking to replace some more of my scratched-to-heck pots and pans, now that i've gotten the "bug".:)

You pan looked like a good deal. there is a good variety of clad stainless cookware on the market. I think clad is the way to go.

One place to check is at Costco or Sam's Club. They often have great deals on sets. I have a variety of All-Clad, Kirkland (Costco brand), Tramontina, Le Gourmet Chef, Cuisinart and Calphalon. They all work fine.

I love my Cuisinart collection from Chefs.com, they have sales and free shipping if you catch it. Pretty plebian, but I got a free tea kettle which I use all the time. Amazon might have some good deals as well. I added a small saucier with lid and a couple teflon coated skillets from Walmart. Those, and my ancient Lodge cast iron fry pans and dutch oven are what I have. Others probably have fancier stuff, but these have proved to be good utilitarian stuff for me!

We don't have Sam's or Costco nearby. :(

Last edited:
i find a cookware search to be a hopelessly confusing endeavor. okay, this ss pan i've been gaga over here, was one part minor miracle and the other part blind beginner's luck. i bought it online--no idea what "clad" is or means, beyond it being some kind of amalgam of metals....and emeril is a rather likable southern chef who advertises a lot of different products and stuff. what i do know for sure is that i like the way my new ss pan dealt with my burgers. they were the juiciest i've made myself in years--and without smoking up the place, and not needing to frantically fan the air by the sensitive smoke detectors....

Clad is, in my opinion, the best. What clad means is this. The entire pan body is made of two layers of stainless steel with a thicker layer of aluminum (or sometimes copper and aluminum) in between. This gives you the best of both worlds. The durability and non-reactiveness of SS with the fast even heat distribution of aluminum.

Emeril is likeable, but you're paying extra to fill his pockets. Look for brand name clad cookware and you'll be OK.

You pan looked like a good deal. there is a good variety of clad stainless cookware on the market. I think clad is the way to go.

One place to check is at Costco or Sam's Club. They often have great deals on sets. I have a variety of All-Clad, Kirkland (Costco brand), Tramontina, Le Gourmet Chef, Cuisinart and Calphalon. They all work fine.

cookware sets have never been a good fit for me. there are always pieces and sizes i don't need, wouldn't use. it might cost a bit more buying piecemeal, as i am determined to do, but this way i will end up with the pieces that are right for me, and i can also mix the ss with the non-stick, the enamel, the iron, etc., however i wish. i feel very fortunate to have found a group, dc, where experts such as yourself, andy, are so accessible and willing to offer a helping hand to lay members on a variety of subjects. thanks for taking the time....:)

While we are discussing cookware...
If anyone knows or hears of a saucepan set, let me know. They seem so outrageously priced singly, but are only offered as part of a larger set with items I don't need. I would love to get a set of just three saucepans.

While we are discussing cookware...
If anyone knows or hears of a saucepan set, let me know. They seem so outrageously priced singly, but are only offered as part of a larger set with items I don't need. I would love to get a set of just three saucepans.

Check out Cookware and More's All Clad sales.

barkeep.jpg

In the supermarket near the other scouring powder or at a hardware store

barkeep.jpg

In the supermarket near the other scouring powder or at a hardware store

aw gee, how cute is that? thanks, jenny. see what i mean about this site? we're golden here.:)going to buy me some bartender's right today. i've already put some stains on my new pan--why is that? why is it that stainless steel stains so easily?:huh:

Back
Top Bottom