Very large shallow copper bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deserdog

Assistant Cook
I recently found a large, shallow copper bowl. I do not think it has ever been used. It is very large! 25 1/2 inches in diameter, and about 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches tall. It has a rolled rim, and a triangular ring for hanging. Heavy too, it weighs almost 10 lbs. Sloping sides, it does not have a flat bottom, but is curved, Anyone have an idea what it is used for?

Welcome to DC!

I recall seeing a bowl like that, it may have been hung on Grandma's wall. No idea what it's for, hopefully someone will come along who knows!

We used one in the bakery to melt chocolate for truffles, the copper bowl sat on a 12 inch high ring over the burner.

After viewing the pictures, I just can't imagine how it could be used for cooking. I hope someone has the answer. Ten pounds is a lot of copper. I'd be tempted to cash it in as scrap if nothing else.

Last edited:
the very top of a flying saucer?

i wonder if it is used for making some kind of flat bread like lavash?

I think it would be used for scalding milk to make clotted cream. Hence the wide top and shallow depth. Farmers wives would bring the rich milk to just under boiling point and then leave to cool. Then the 'thick' cream would be scimmed off the top using a flat perferated copper ladle (of which I have one for this very purpose ) My mother used to make it in Devonshire England where 'clotted cream 'is still produced. believe me, no cream is as good as this, especially on your scone!

Except that is shallow, I would have guessed it's for whipping egg whites. No matter what it's original use, I'm sure it's a great find.

That was my first guess also. Nothing like copper to get nice high beaten egg whites. The fact that it is wide as well as shallow allows for more air to be whipped in. :angel:

After doing a little research, I think it is a pan called a saj, or a tawa or a tava. All are large pans used to cook flatbreads like pita, markook, pita, roti, chapati, or naan. The pan is placed over a heat source, dome side up, and the bread is cooked on the outside of the pan.

Back
Top Bottom