What are the best healthiest pans and frying pans to use? What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan

Assistant Cook
I found this article about Healthy frying pans. I try to avoid stuff that says it healthy because I feel like its usually misleading.
There have been objections to a lot of different types of metal used in cooking pans, types of coatings, and other things down through the ages.
There have been objections that acidic foods leach out the iron in cast iron pans.
There have been objections to enamel coated pans as they stick and do not leach iron into the foods. Some said that they leach other chemicals into the foods.
There have been objections to aluminum pans! They leach chemicals into the foods.
There have been objections to ceramic coatings, Teflon coatings, and anything else as it is said they can flake off into the food.
I am sure there were objections to woven baskets and pottery cookware at the beginning of time of cooking!
Now am wondering what are the best healthiest cookware to use? Why?

I make it a practice not to get health information from sites where their primary goal is to sell me something ;)

Full-clad stainless steel is great for cooking. You get the benefit of even heating from the copper and the easy care of the stainless cladding.

Cast iron and enameled cast iron are great for cooking, too. Most people have no problems with getting a little extra iron in their diets. I've been using cast iron for 30 years and I don't notice an off flavor from the iron.

I've never seen anything that says enamel leaches anything into food. Poor quality enameled cookware may chip, but that's different.

It's been proven conclusively that aluminum pans don't cause health problems.

You have been reading a lot of fear-mongering websites. Stop.

Just about all mainstream cookware is safe if properly used. Stainless steel is inert. That is, it won't react with foods. It's also durable. It's a great all-around choice for everyday cooking chores. Look for try-ply SS for even cooking.

Teflon coated pans are the best choice when non-stick is necessary, as with cooking eggs. As long as you don't grossly overheat it, it's as safe as any other.

Properly seasoned cast iron is also a great all purpose pan material. Highly acidic foods should probably be avoided in CI.

For more detailed discussions, check out the Cookware Forum on this site.

Teflon has a long history of being linked to PFOAs - perfluorooctanoic acid...nothing to do with scaremongering or sites that sell products either!

Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

So these 8 companies are dramatically reducing the exposure to these chemicals over a decade -
whoopee!

The Environmental Protection Agency exists for good reasons.
;)

However, there now appears to be a safe alternative to Teflon, i.e. ceramic non stick pans.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/food/ceramic-pans-cookware/

Has anyone cooked with these? If so, what is your view of them? I am thinking about buying
such a pan.

Last edited:
Teflon has a long history of being linked to PFOAs - perfluorooctanoic acid...nothing to do with scaremongering or sites that sell products either!

So these 8 companies are dramatically reducing the exposure to these chemicals over a decade -
whoopee!

;)

Correlation does not equal causation.

That article also says, "Scientific studies have not established a link between using products containing trace amounts of PFOA, such as microwave-popcorn bags or nonstick pans, and elevated cancer levels. Hazen [acting assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances] said yesterday's announcement should "not indicate any concern . . . for consumers using household products" with such coatings."

Don't overheat the pan and discard it if it starts to deteriorate and shed bits of Teflon. You don't want to eat it (like you don't want to eat cast iron or enamel), but cooking on it is fine.

Last edited:
Correlation does not equal causation.

That article also says, "Scientific studies have not established a link between using products containing trace amounts of PFOA, such as microwave-popcorn bags or nonstick pans, and elevated cancer levels. Hazen [acting assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances] said yesterday's announcement should "not indicate any concern . . . for consumers using household products" with such coatings."
....which still means the 'harmful' chemical is there!

Why do you think they are reducing it then?
eusa_think.gif

Companies wouldn't be doing this for no reason.

Last edited:
....which still means the chemical is there!

Why do you think they are reducing it then?
eusa_think.gif

Companies wouldn't be doing this for no reason.

Companies do things for marketing and PR reasons all the time. They are reacting to the irrational hysteria about Teflon. Like the irrational hysteria about genetically modified products. The continued lack of evidence of harm will never be enough for some people.

Companies do things for marketing and PR reasons all the time. They are reacting to the irrational hysteria about Teflon. Like the irrational hysteria about genetically modified products. The continued lack of evidence of harm will never be enough for some people.
Hysteria? :LOL: Personally I prefer to cook in cookware that has zero toxic chemicals.

Don't get me started on gm products....brought to you by the company (Monsanto) that helped to make Agent Orange - enjoy!
780422031.gif

I forgot to answer the question :) I use:

- fully clad stainless steel sauté pans, saucepans and skillets
- cast iron skillets
- ceramic, stoneware, glass and metal bakeware (not sure what kind of metal my cake and muffin pans are made of)
- aluminum sheet pans
- sometimes, silicon baking mats on top of the sheet pans
- Teflon skillet for eggs only

Last edited:

whoopee!

;)

However, there now appears to be a safe alternative to Teflon, i.e. ceramic non stick pans.

Ceramic Pans Safe? Non-toxic? Review Ceramic Cookware vs. Teflon

Has anyone cooked with these? If so, what is your view of them? I am thinking about buying
such a pan.

PFOA is an issue in the manufacturing process, not in the finished product.

Actual peoples' experiences with ceramic pans indicates they lose their non-stick quality fairly quickly.

I have 2 tri-ply stainless skillets (one 12" All-Clad and one 10" Kitchen Aid), 3 Teflon nonstick skillets (8", 12", and 14" all Bakers and Chefs brand), 2 enameled cast iron dutch ovens, and my seasoned cast iron grill/griddle that swaps places with the middle grate on my range.

I take good care of my nonstick cookware (never overheat and use only plastic or wooden or silicone utensils), and it lasts for a long time. Modern, good quality nonstick coatings don't peel off unless severely mistreated. I'm not concerned in the least about any health issues with any of my cookware.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/food/ceramic-pans-cookware/

such a pan.

My wife has one (Orgreenic), and it has never really been nonstick. It's easier to clean than a stainless pan after something like eggs, but it's not even close to working as well as an actual nonstick coating like Teflon.

Last edited:
And Bayer, maker of aspirin used by billions of people over the decades, made Zyklon B. What is your point?

Yes many companies have a dubious, dark history. My point might be to be wary of them (not hysterical, you understand)! ;)

Ah thanks for the feedback posts on ceramic non stick cookware. :)
Appreciated! I won't be buying them then.

PFOA is an issue in the manufacturing process, not in the finished product.

Actual peoples' experiences with ceramic pans indicates they lose their non-stick quality fairly quickly.
Thanks for the info on ceramic non stick cookware.

PFOA unfortunately IS emitted during cooking with teflon non stick cookware but at low emissions. Personally I would rather have 0 levels in my food.

Here is an exerpt from a 2007 article in Good Housekeeping. It clearly states PFOA is not present in the finished product. Any gases are released at extremely high temperatures and can be fatal to small birds. Believe it or don't. Your choice.

The Good Housekeeping Research Institute with the assistance of Robert L. Wolke, Ph.D., professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and Kurunthachalam Kannan, Ph.D., an environmental toxicologist at the New York State Department of Health, tested and analyzed results.

The article addresses the common fears attached to nonstick cookware and debunks some, labeling the cookware as safe with conditions.

When nonstick surfaces reach a temperature exceeding 500 F., the nonstick surface begins to break down and starts releasing chemical compounds. When the surface temperature reaches 660 F., gases are released which can cause flu like symptoms in humans. These gases can be fatal to small birds. At 680 F., toxic gases are released, but in such small quantities as to be harmless.

Bits of nonstick coating that may flake off a pan surface are harmless if ingested. They simply pass through your body.

PFOA, a chemical known to cause tumors and developmental defects in animals (there is no proven harmful effect on humans) is used in the manufacturing process but is not present in the finished product. PFOA is present in other products such as microwave popcorn bags, fast food containers, shampoos, carpeting and clothing.

The article offers six steps to cooking safely with nonstick cookware:

1. Never preheat an empty pan. The temperature can exceed safe levels in as little as two minutes in pans made with thinner materials.
2. Don’t cook on high heat. Set your burner to medium and cook at that level. This is also the manufacturer’s recommendation.
3. Ventilate the kitchen. Turn on your exhaust fans.
4. Don’t broil or sear meats. These cooking methods call for higher heat than is safe for nonstick cookware. Use a different type of pan.
5. Buy heavier nonstick pans. Thicker metal pans take longer to reach and exceed dangerous temperature levels so you have a margin for error if you forget a pan on the burner.
6. Don’t continue to cook with pans that have damaged nonstick coatings. Use wood or plastic utensils to prolong the life of the surface.

Do what you like. The fact is that cooking on a surface does not mean you are ingesting it.
There are detectable low emissions of PFOA emanating from Teflon non stick cookware. I don't want my food to be anywhere near such sources. Personal choice you understand. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom