What are your bread storage issues???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoltonSix

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm a student trying to do some more research into the market of bread storage and developing a new bread storage product. It would be great if I could get some of your issues to do with storage, food lasting or even the tiniest of annoyances so I could make my product the best it can be. Thanks :chef::yum:

Our bread comes in a plastic bag. We store it in that bag for a few days then it goes into the freezer. We take out slices as we need them and either toast it or revive it in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel.

it needs to last longer.
when I bake a loaf, come back later, half of it is gone.

Andy... if you want perfect bread from the freezer, wrap each slice tightly in cling wrap and thaw at room temperature.

I think you will be amazed at the results.

Scott, that takes too long and takes forethought. Wrap two slices of frozen bread in a damp (not wet) paper towel and nuke for 20-30 seconds. Perfect.

Andy... if you want perfect bread from the freezer, wrap each slice tightly in cling wrap and thaw at room temperature.

I think you will be amazed at the results.
I find my homemade bread is fine right out of the freezer and into the toaster oven. I slice and store in a freezer zipper-top bag. Wrapping slices individually is unnecessary and wasteful.

Hi, I'm a student trying to do some more research into the market of bread storage and developing a new bread storage product. It would be great if I could get some of your issues to do with storage, food lasting or even the tiniest of annoyances so I could make my product the best it can be. Thanks :chef::yum:

If you can make a bread storage container that will prevent mold forming so quickly on store bought/made bread without having to freeze it all the time, you can make a fortune. I will be your first customer.

I know that many folks say you shouldn't store bread in the fridge but I do. It keeps as long as needed and I always toast bread so there's really no issue for me. I hate using up room in the freezer for bread.

Hope nobody turns me over to the food police.

I know that many folks say you shouldn't store bread in the fridge but I do. It keeps as long as needed and I always toast bread so there's really no issue for me. I hate using up room in the freezer for bread.

I put bread in the fridge too. People say it gets stale, but it doesn't get any of the off flavours that I think of as stale. It does dry a bit. But by the time it's even a little bit dry, it would have been mouldy or dry at room temp. And besides, as Kayelle mentioned, toasting negates any minor drying.

keep-calm-and-look-out-for-the-food-police-1-1.jpg
Couldn't resist :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the forum!

I think of two types of bread I have to store. Sandwich type bread, which is easy, since I just put it in a plastic bag (the bags I use are just some bread bags I got a thousand of, from a restaurant supply place), and it keeps longer, but it softens the crust almost immediately. That's most of the bread I make, and mostly rye bread. In the summer, I put it in the fridge after 2 days to prevent mold; it dries out some in the fridge, but then I just toast it. Mold almost never occurs in the cooler season, which is when I bake the most bread, and I usually don't put it the fridge - it's finished in 4 or 5 days. This kind freezes well, and I always make 2 or 3 loaves.

The bread with a crispy crust has to be eaten soon after baking - porous bags, that they sell those kinds of breads in, just don't store it for long, and even then, the crust isn't like it is shortly after baking. When I have that kind of bread with a dinner, I just store the leftovers in a plastic bag; it softens the crust, but the rest of it I eat toasted, or make some garlic bread with it - it's hard the get that initial crust back reheating it in the oven. It freezes OK, but not for long, since it is usually oil-free, which is another reason it doesn't store very well.

I'm not sure what you can do to improve these things, but I'll be interested in following anything you come up with. Good luck!

Those look good. I checked them out on Amazon.ca too. Yikes! I know the Canadian dollar isn't as strong as the US dollar, but, it's not usually this bad. At CAD 37.38 for 10 bags, I don't think so.
That's crazy, taxy! I did an online conversion for U.S. to Canadian and it should be only $10.51. I bought my 10-count box locally for $2.99. Again, that was over a decade ago. I haven't seen them in stores lately (I look, since I would like another box), so maybe the Amazon seller has a cache of a no-longer-available product he's trying to cash in on.

We don't eat very much bread/ fast enough any more. When we buy bread, one half goes automatic into a bag in the freezer and the other half can stay out, and after about 3 days, refrigerate.

I get confused if we buy bread from a bakery or bread store. Does the top of the loaf have flour on it or does it look like there are more whiter spots than when we bought it. Love sourdough bread. Flour streaks across the tops =good, spots not good.

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all of your constructive comments and iI am happy to say that I have had an idea to stop the need for putting your bread in the fridge or freezer because of mould. However i would still love it if anyone has any more concerns about their bread storage as I would love to make my design more ergonomic.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Casper

Back
Top Bottom