"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post What are your bread storage issues???

Hi, I'm a student trying to do some more research into the market of bread storage and developing a new bread storage product. It would be great if I could get some of your issues to do with storage, food lasting or even the tiniest of annoyances so I could make my product the best it can be. Thanks

BoltonSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Our bread comes in a plastic bag. We store it in that bag for a few days then it goes into the freezer. We take out slices as we need them and either toast it or revive it in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Sous Chef

it needs to last longer.
when I bake a loaf, come back later, half of it is gone.
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Andy... if you want perfect bread from the freezer, wrap each slice tightly in cling wrap and thaw at room temperature.

I think you will be amazed at the results.
ScottinPollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Scott, that takes too long and takes forethought. Wrap two slices of frozen bread in a damp (not wet) paper towel and nuke for 20-30 seconds. Perfect.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinPollock View Post
Andy... if you want perfect bread from the freezer, wrap each slice tightly in cling wrap and thaw at room temperature.

I think you will be amazed at the results.
I find my homemade bread is fine right out of the freezer and into the toaster oven. I slice and store in a freezer zipper-top bag. Wrapping slices individually is unnecessary and wasteful.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSix View Post
Hi, I'm a student trying to do some more research into the market of bread storage and developing a new bread storage product. It would be great if I could get some of your issues to do with storage, food lasting or even the tiniest of annoyances so I could make my product the best it can be. Thanks
If you can make a bread storage container that will prevent mold forming so quickly on store bought/made bread without having to freeze it all the time, you can make a fortune. I will be your first customer.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I know that many folks say you shouldn't store bread in the fridge but I do. It keeps as long as needed and I always toast bread so there's really no issue for me. I hate using up room in the freezer for bread.

Hope nobody turns me over to the food police.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know that many folks say you shouldn't store bread in the fridge but I do. It keeps as long as needed and I always toast bread so there's really no issue for me. I hate using up room in the freezer for bread.

I put bread in the fridge too. People say it gets stale, but it doesn't get any of the off flavours that I think of as stale. It does dry a bit. But by the time it's even a little bit dry, it would have been mouldy or dry at room temp. And besides, as Kayelle mentioned, toasting negates any minor drying.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	keep-calm-and-look-out-for-the-food-police-1-1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	38682
Couldn't resist
Old 01-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a box of these ages ago at The Christmas Tree Shop...over a decade, I'm sure. Still have two left. So it looks like someone already developed this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Bread.../dp/B001MK81I0

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I bought a box of these ages ago at The Christmas Tree Shop...over a decade, I'm sure. Still have two left. So it looks like someone already developed this product.

https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Bread.../dp/B001MK81I0
Those look good. I checked them out on Amazon.ca too. Yikes! I know the Canadian dollar isn't as strong as the US dollar, but, it's not usually this bad. At CAD 37.38 for 10 bags, I don't think so.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I don't eat bread, I make my Dad put 2/3 of any loaf of bread he buys or makes in the freezer.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Attachment 38682
Couldn't resist

PRICELESS...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
Head Chef

Welcome to the forum!

I think of two types of bread I have to store. Sandwich type bread, which is easy, since I just put it in a plastic bag (the bags I use are just some bread bags I got a thousand of, from a restaurant supply place), and it keeps longer, but it softens the crust almost immediately. That's most of the bread I make, and mostly rye bread. In the summer, I put it in the fridge after 2 days to prevent mold; it dries out some in the fridge, but then I just toast it. Mold almost never occurs in the cooler season, which is when I bake the most bread, and I usually don't put it the fridge - it's finished in 4 or 5 days. This kind freezes well, and I always make 2 or 3 loaves.

The bread with a crispy crust has to be eaten soon after baking - porous bags, that they sell those kinds of breads in, just don't store it for long, and even then, the crust isn't like it is shortly after baking. When I have that kind of bread with a dinner, I just store the leftovers in a plastic bag; it softens the crust, but the rest of it I eat toasted, or make some garlic bread with it - it's hard the get that initial crust back reheating it in the oven. It freezes OK, but not for long, since it is usually oil-free, which is another reason it doesn't store very well.

I'm not sure what you can do to improve these things, but I'll be interested in following anything you come up with. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Those look good. I checked them out on Amazon.ca too. Yikes! I know the Canadian dollar isn't as strong as the US dollar, but, it's not usually this bad. At CAD 37.38 for 10 bags, I don't think so.
That's crazy, taxy! I did an online conversion for U.S. to Canadian and it should be only $10.51. I bought my 10-count box locally for $2.99. Again, that was over a decade ago. I haven't seen them in stores lately (I look, since I would like another box), so maybe the Amazon seller has a cache of a no-longer-available product he's trying to cash in on.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
Head Chef

Maybe they don't make them anymore, and it's like an out of print book!
Old 01-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef

We don't eat very much bread/ fast enough any more. When we buy bread, one half goes automatic into a bag in the freezer and the other half can stay out, and after about 3 days, refrigerate.

I get confused if we buy bread from a bakery or bread store. Does the top of the loaf have flour on it or does it look like there are more whiter spots than when we bought it. Love sourdough bread. Flour streaks across the tops =good, spots not good.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all of your constructive comments and iI am happy to say that I have had an idea to stop the need for putting your bread in the fridge or freezer because of mould. However i would still love it if anyone has any more concerns about their bread storage as I would love to make my design more ergonomic.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Casper

BoltonSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread