What Are Your Thoughts About Plateware (Flatware, Dinnerware, etc.)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWinCA

Assistant Cook
Ok, I see this dinnerware online for 10 people that I find absolutely stunning and I really want it. I look at it and I think it's not only dinnerware but a work of art and would love to entertain with it.

The problem is I don't have that many people to cook for and don't entertain that much! It's too good (and expensive) to just use for everyday dinner with the family.

So, my question is for people who have dinnerware with large place settings. Have you used it as much as you'd like? Do you think you got value out of it? Would you buy it again? I'm hoping that some of you can convince me to get it although, from a value standpoint, it is almost embarrassing how little I will use it, and I wouldn't feel right if it just stayed in a drawer. (1-2 times a year might be the most I would use it, if that, unless I wanted to go and make a special effort to meet more people on our street, which I don't :) So what have you done?

I use Johann Haviland Blue Garland as my everyday dishes. While my mother used it as special, I use it every day. (Momma also obtained it via the grocery store buying various pieces each week.)

It has tons of pieces. Fruit bowls, soup bowls, bread plates, dessert plates, dinner plates, salad plates, several kinds of mugs and cups, saucers etc. The list goes on and on. I can safely say that I use every single piece in one way or another. I love it. It's pretty but, more important, it is very special to me because of Momma. When I just use a plate or two, it is great. If I want to go all out, I have pieces to do it even if it is just for the two of us.

The other thing is that it has lots of expandability which was important to me. Platters, serving pots, bowls, candlestick holders, etc. As a child, I loved my playhouse. The many dish options fulfill my childhood love of "playing house" as an adult. :)

If you love it, buy it...and use it (even every day - It may be expensive, but who are you saving it for)...and have fun. And post a picture of it!

Last edited:
Way back when, as each girl was born, their silverware was chosen and they were given a piece for each special holiday. Well the tradition slowly fell to one side and only one sister ever completed her set. Have no idea what she is doing with it now that she has downsized.

I, although not the original design chosen for me, also have a complet set of silver. I have wrapped individual settings in clingwrap. Even if I only have one or two guests, I can reach in a drawer and grab as many settings needed. So until Covid, they were used on a pretty regular basis.

Maybe only twice a month - but they were used! That's what they are for! Go for it and enjoy!
Start a tradition with your family - fancy settings once a month - even if it's pulled pork/stew/meatloaf... well, maybe not pizza or fish and chips but you know what I mean.

I love functional stuff personally. My favorite set is a simple white set that I got from Crate and Barrel years ago. My current set is multi-color Fiesta. My mom bought us service for 8 each set in a different color. It works for me since any decor I have in the kitchen is vintage finds.

You are going to see these every day, might as well enjoy them and it's something that you'll have for years. Higher price/quality will often be more durable so you'll be less likely to deal with chips.

Flatware, that I'm quite picky about. I bought some on clearance years ago and it is designed very well with good weight and comfortable grip. The thing that I check is to make sure that the fork tines are rigid, I haven't had a tine go out of alignment yet with this set.

Last edited:
Personally, I would use it for everyday. I have functional plates, but I have sterling silver cutlery and crystal glasses. I use that every day. I would worry about using "the good stuff", if I had children or other housemates who wouldn't be careful or wouldn't respect it. And yeah, some stuff breaks. Then we are more careful for a while. Actually, my plates, bowls, serving dishes, etc. don't break. They are Duralex and that's one of the reasons I bought it back in the late 1970s. We also have the set of nicer, but more breakable plates that my husband had when we got married. We use that when we have more guests than the Duralex plates.

The way it worked in our house was that there were everyday dishes, which were nice dishes to feed a family of 6, and a nice set of glasses (tumblers), and a good set of flatware (knives, forks, spoons, etc.) and serving dishes. For holiday meals, and special occasions, the good stuff came out. That set the mood and elevated the meal, be it with family, extended family, or friends. And yes, there was real silverware and beautiful glasses, and plates with matching serving bowls, grav/sauce boats, desert dishes, etc.

When you go to the trouble of serving your family/guests with the best you have, it makes them feel all the more loved, and special.Sometimes, it's not about the utility. Sometimes, it's about owning something nice. If you can afford the product, and you really like it, get it for yourself.

I have things that are an extravagance, like my $800 fly rod, and my $450 fly rod. And I'm building mor custom fishing rods. Back in 1975, I purchased the strongest, most advanced bow (archery) on the market, I spent an entire paycheck on it. That bow served me well through 208, when I passed it to my eldest son. Was it cost effective, I'd say yes. Was it a splurge when I bought it? Again yes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love functional stuff personally. My favorite set is a simple white set that I got from Crate and Barrel years ago. My current set is multi-color Fiesta. My mom bought us service for 8 each set in a different color. It works for me since any decor I have in the kitchen is vintage finds.

You are going to see these every day, might as well enjoy them and it's something that you'll have for years. Higher price/quality will often be more durable so you'll be less likely to deal with chips.

Flatware, that I'm quite picky about. I bought some on clearance years ago and it is designed very well with good weight and comfortable grip. The thing that I check is to make sure that the fork tines are rigid, I haven't had a tine go out of alignment yet with this set.

If I cannot use it, I don't have the space to keep it. I love vintage things, but they must be functional!

For everyday use, I really like Corelle service. It comes in many designs, is attractive, fairly lightweight, and really tough. It also stacks better than most stoneware. Just my opinion.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Our daily use dishes are Corelle Summer Blush. Plates, glasses, bowls, etc.

As for special occasions, our china of choice is Homer Laughlin Virginia Rose, along with Rogers Brothers silver called Arbutus. We finish with depression glassware that compliments the pastels of the china.

Love old stuff!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom