What's your favorite cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's uhh, good to hear, Loin...
I don't believe anyone actually suggested a non-stick wok, but good passionate advice nonetheless.

>>I have a large non stick wok myself. It is perfect for whipping up a quick dinner. One of my most used pans.

sounds like a suggestion to me (g)

I have Revereware dutch ovens, sauce pans and 1 12" SS skillet also Revereware. It's similar to their 2000 line - tri-ply with aluminum disc bottoms. They are my go to pots except for my CI skillets which are indispensable for most of my frying. I have 1 small teflon coated skillet and 1 teflon coated griddle for making grilled sandwiches and pancakes. The Revereware has lasted close to 30 years since I got most of the pieces during the first several years of marriage.

I have a set of Paula Deen Cookware that I purchased 3 years ago. It's like new today and I use it every single day. Best I've ever owned. As for a Wok .. I agree with Sir Loin of Beef ... keep it simple for best results. For my bakeware I use good old Pyrex for the loaf and rectangle pans as well as the pie plate. For smaller serving sizes I use my Fiesta bowls .. excellent sizes as well as super easy clean up.

>>I have a large non stick wok myself. It is perfect for whipping up a quick dinner. One of my most used pans.

oops. My bad. I missed Big Jim's post earlier. And I even posted right below it :huh: I'll have to go back to using quick links instead of New Posts. That makes a few posts I've missed.

Thanks for the heads up.

And Big Jim, you use whatever pan you want :LOL:

There is no way I would buy a non-stick wok. The teflon coating would negate all the advantages of using a wok. You can pick up a really good steel wok at Cost Plus for about 12 bucks American. I wouldn't buy an electric wok, either. It can not get hot enough!

The pan that I have isn't really a wok, sure it can be used in a similar fashion, but it is meant to be used for many other purposes as well.

Just a versatile pan that I enjoy using. Since I am not a pro, stir fryer it works just great for me.

I agree with the cast iron. I love my cast iron skillet. I had to buy my own cause my mom wouldn't let me have hers, lol. But it took years to get it were it is now. I cook the best fried chicken in that pan. But it's too heavy to use all the time..

I took note with the brand you all named. I'm gonna have a look at them and see which one will work for me... I also agree that good cookware is an investment. So I'm willing to spend a little to have a good quality, working set. I really appreciate all the input..:chef:

The pan that I have isn't really a wok, sure it can be used in a similar fashion, but it is meant to be used for many other purposes as well.

Just a versatile pan that I enjoy using. Since I am not a pro, stir fryer it works just great for me.

Wok shaped pans are great like BJ said, to throw together a quick meal. You can really pile the food in and don't need to wait for anything to release. I don't think the non-stick could really be used as a true wok though. I'm not sure they could take the high heat and little oil.
I call my "ultimate pan" my everyday pan, even though it isn't a true everyday pan either ;) It's just a really handy pan. Versatile, like you said.

Wok shaped pans are great like BJ said, to throw together a quick meal. You can really pile the food in and don't need to wait for anything to release. I don't think the non-stick could really be used as a true wok though. I'm not sure they could take the high heat and little oil.
I call my "ultimate pan" my everyday pan, even though it isn't a true everyday pan either ;) It's just a really handy pan. Versatile, like you said.
I would tend to agree with you. My Wokking is more about stir frying, and I don't use a lot of heat.

My 3.5 quart sauté pan (straight sides, flat bottom with a lid) has taken over from my SS skillets as a 'go to' pan. I find it more versatile because ther is more flat cooking surface and it's lidded. It's right up there with my 12" CI skillet as the first pan I reach for.

the best cookware that i have ever bought is Nutriply 316 stainless steel. i love cooking and this is the best material you can cook in. plus it has a lifetime warranty and it's 1/3 of the price of companies like saladmaster. hope u find what your looking for.

the best cookware that i have ever bought is Nutriply 316 stainless steel. i love cooking and this is the best material you can cook in. plus it has a lifetime warranty and it's 1/3 of the price of companies like saladmaster. hope u find what your looking for.

Thanks Amanda, I got a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I know I'll find something good, lol. I love cooking too. Sometimes if you don't have the best cookware it takes some of the fun out of it. I spent money on expensive (junk) and I don't trust my own judgement anymore, lol. But I'm glad I found this forum.. :)

>>if you don't have the best cookware

it is quite simply not possible to define "the best"
some "cooks" think the best kitchen has two really big microwaves and a toaster oven.
some "cooks" need two ovens, a warming drawer and a 12 burner cook-top.

I got seriously into cooking in the mid-80's. tried all the "name brands" - later tried a lot of "celebrity" stuff (yeah, I was that dumb . . . ) - all of it disappointed.

so after some 30 years of buying & tossing, here's what in my cabinets:
- one 8 inch el-cheapo Teflon/PTFE non-stick fry pan
- one 10 inch el-cheapo Teflon/PTFE non-stick fry pan
these are under $10/pan - they last 12-20 months; when they start to get "non non-stick" I toss them in the recycling bin and get a new one.
Teflon/PTFE has it's advantages; decades long life is not one of them.

couple multi-decades old stainless steel pots - ala "Revere Ware" - for water heating/boiling /steaming things. (these pots are on recycle-death row - when they're done, they're outta' here.....)

a 20 qt stainless stockpot

multiple cast iron pcs - griddle, oval fish pan, 12" fry pan, corn bread mold, dutch oven, etc - cast iron has unique cooking traits for which there are few substitutes.

a couple specialty things - a long fish poacher with lid&tray - a wok, if my wok isn't glowing on the bottom, it's not ready for stir fry.....

everything else is 2.5 or 3 mm copper, stainless lined. yeah, it's expensive, yeah, it's heavy,
yeah - nothing else cooks like it.
oh - applies to gas cook-tops only - (a) copper doesn't work on induction and (b) electric coils are so slow to respond copper is of zero value.

in the course of discussions precipitated by a death in the family, my son said "and I get the copper, right?" the stuff lasts generations. his sisters were not happy with the direction of his question.....

Last edited:

A non-stick wok will not allow you to do the two main things that a wok is supposed to do; put a quick char on your food, and drag your food up the side of the wok and hold it there as it completes cooking, allowing you to cook everything evenly.

My cookware is allclad because I like the stainless steel look of the pans and handles plus the way it cooks. My other favorite cookware is le creuset my 5.5 qt dutch oven and stone bakeware.

Last edited:
I like Le Creuset, Copco, Cousances, and Descoware enameled cast iron cookware best of all.

For large capacity cooking I like Vollrath aluminum clad stainless steel stockpots and double boilers.

>>if you don't have the best cookware

it is quite simply not possible to define "the best"
some "cooks" think the best kitchen has two really big microwaves and a toaster oven.
some "cooks" need two ovens, a warming drawer and a 12 burner cook-top.

I got seriously into cooking in the mid-80's. tried all the "name brands" - later tried a lot of "celebrity" stuff (yeah, I was that dumb . . . ) - all of it disappointed.

so after some 30 years of buying & tossing, here's what in my cabinets:
- one 8 inch el-cheapo Teflon/PTFE non-stick fry pan
- one 10 inch el-cheapo Teflon/PTFE non-stick fry pan
these are under $10/pan - they last 12-20 months; when they start to get "non non-stick" I toss them in the recycling bin and get a new one.
Teflon/PTFE has it's advantages; decades long life is not one of them.

couple multi-decades old stainless steel pots - ala "Revere Ware" - for water heating/boiling /steaming things. (these pots are on recycle-death row - when they're done, they're outta' here.....)

a 20 qt stainless stockpot

multiple cast iron pcs - griddle, oval fish pan, 12" fry pan, corn bread mold, dutch oven, etc - cast iron has unique cooking traits for which there are few substitutes.

a couple specialty things - a long fish poacher with lid&tray - a wok, if my wok isn't glowing on the bottom, it's not ready for stir fry.....

everything else is 2.5 or 3 mm copper, stainless lined. yeah, it's expensive, yeah, it's heavy,
yeah - nothing else cooks like it.
oh - applies to gas cook-tops only - (a) copper doesn't work on induction and (b) electric coils are so slow to respond copper is of zero value.

in the course of discussions precipitated by a death in the family, my son said "and I get the copper, right?" the stuff lasts generations. his sisters were not happy with the direction of his question.....

Yea I found out really quick that some of the celebrity stuff wasn't much good. I do a lot of cooking in my cast iron skillet but it's heavy and I don't like using it all the time.

I have the flat top stove. So I don't want to get that slippery stuff either, lol. I have some pans that try to go all over the stove when I cook something that has to be stirred.LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom