Where can I find a good Wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bentrinh

Assistant Cook
Where can I find a good Wok? I've heard about AllCald and stuff, but I can't find a wok on their site...

Depends on what type of wok you're looking for. If you want a more traditional wok, (carbon steel) then I think your best bet is to find an Asian grocer or a kitchen supply store and have a look around. If you want stainless steel, AllClad may make one, I don't know, but I do know that Calphalon makes them. Check Bed, Bath and Beyond for Calphalon or similar items.

Sounds cliche, Asian grocers have the best deal on all sizes. I got an awesome hand hammered for 25 smackers. It has great park zones, heats up QUICK, and has never let me down.

Well, I have my own theory so listen up - go to your local Asian grocer - they have the best and most inexpensive woks available! :-p

Love All Clad but would not buy a wok from them. Too pricy and IMO a carbon steel wok is the way to go.

I bought one from The Wok Shop years ago and it's fantastic.

Asian groceries sell fine ones too.

Another vote for an Asian grocery store.

That's where mine came from. Mom bought it for me as a gift back in 1974 & it's well-seasoned & still going strong after fairly continuous use (we usually have a stirfry at LEAST once a week). After using that for all these years, I simply laugh at all the new pricey updated copies.

Clutch said:
EDIT again: I couldn't find a wok there.

Why would you order a 10 dollar wok on line? The shipping charges would just about double the price.

That's why I still don't have a knife safe for my 6-inch ceramic chef's knife. None of the so-called kitchen stores in my area have them, so I looked on line:

Knife safe - $2.95. Shipping and handling - $5.95

I have a cheap one from the asia store... works perfect, gives optimal heat.. it's just the bottom that bothers me sometimes... it gets very "round" when hot and the wok starts to "dance" on the cooker...

got a rather expensive one later one.. made of Alu-cast.. not very good... it doesn't conduct (?) the heat very well... used it 2x and now its hidden somewhere in the cupboard..

Go into China-Town (most big cities have one) and look around in different shops, when you see one with a good selection of Everything (yes ingredients too) ask the guy or gal at the till/checkout to recommend a wok, you must ask what they use! and be humble that you respect their advice and don`t want Sales Talk!

this is exactly what I did many many years ago, and I was actualy taken into the back room up the stairs and into their Kitchen to see what they used (also managed to sweet talk some cool ingredients off them too), and so I bought what they had :)
and bought a bottle of rice wine also and gave it to the lady that showed me these things :)

how can you get better than to ask someone that uses a Wok all the time, I have about 7 Woks, each are for different things, it`s important also to state what you will cook with them on Elec or gas etc...

Wok ownership is an art, one that when you get used to, you`ll never look back :)

YT2095 said:
Go into China-Town (most big cities have one)...
Memphis does not, to my knowledge, have a China-Town. If I'm wrong nothing would please me more than learning of my error and the location of the neighborhood in question

For Memphians, the best Chinese market I know of is slightly west of the Perimeter Mall on the south side of the street. It is in a red "L" shaped strip mall with the predominate signage for the Chinese restaurant closest to the street. If there are equal or better sources please post the details. You should not expect a lot of customer service and you will probably be the only person in the building speaking English but take your time; look around; it's almost like traveling abroad.

YT2095 said:
Go into China-Town (most big cities have one) and look around in different shops, when you see one with a good selection of Everything (yes ingredients too) ask the guy or gal at the till/checkout to recommend a wok, you must ask what they use! and be humble that you respect their advice and don`t want Sales Talk!

this is exactly what I did many many years ago, and I was actualy taken into the back room up the stairs and into their Kitchen to see what they used (also managed to sweet talk some cool ingredients off them too), and so I bought what they had :)
and bought a bottle of rice wine also and gave it to the lady that showed me these things :)

how can you get better than to ask someone that uses a Wok all the time, I have about 7 Woks, each are for different things, it`s important also to state what you will cook with them on Elec or gas etc...

Wok ownership is an art, one that when you get used to, you`ll never look back :)

I would go to Chinatown, but the best I could do is a day trip to New York, which, ATM, I really don't have time for. I know there is a good Chinese market on Rt 18 somewhere, but not exactly sure of the location. I may just ask the people at The Golden Dragon. We frequent their resturant cause they cook their food the Chinese way and not the pre-fab'd "Wok" chain, American way. That's the way my Vietnamese friend put it. I'm sure the rice wine would be greatly appreciated by them too and well worth it.

BTW, Do you mind telling me what you went with, as your first one? I'm looking for a simple generic one. I wanna make stir fry and the more common stuff for now.

Carbon steelis generally considered the best for woks. Certainly it is the traditional material.

Buy it whereever you can find it. If you have an Asian market nearby, they may have them. The Asian market near me does not but the BB&B did have one.

Once you get one, you have to season it properly before using.

I can`t help you with locations, I`m a UKer, perhaps Google may help???

I went Stainless Steel for my main Wok with a flat base (I used electric cooker hob then) now I use Gas in the new house and it works just as well :)
Carbon steel I have 3 Balti type Woks in and several diminutive Woks also carbon steel.

I would say Avoid at ALL COSTS the Alu woks teflon coated! they totaly Suck!

with CS, be sure to Buy in a Very Large bag of salt though, you can re-use it, but you Will need it to season the wok before use, after that, you`re laughing :)

YT2095 said:
with CS, be sure to Buy in a Very Large bag of salt though, you can re-use it, but you Will need it to season the wok before use, after that, you`re laughing :)

Can you explain this a little. I should buy a big bag of salt to season the wok?

I just used my GF's mom's flat bottom the other day to make a stir fry. I must say, for a first timer armed with 1/3 the stir fry seasoning I needed, I did rather well!

Mudbug; I saw you on another site where you were describing your Atlas brand, flat-bottomed wok, a 14 incher if I recall. That's the same wok I have and I love it. I got mine at an overpriced little sandwich shop here. Go figure.

Anyway, I agree that carbon-steel, properly seasoned, is the way to go.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You season them with oil generally. The best way to do it is deep fry something in it. Do that a number of times and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom