"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wrap the handle with aluminum foil. It's protects the handle to temperatures about 50 higher than the handle is rated. I used foil on all my non-stick pans with no problem. I even put them under the broiler and they were fine
Good to know. But, if I plan on sticking a frying pan in the oven, I can just start with one of the ones that don't need foil.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:32 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
If a scratched non-stick surface will not release anything, why did you still toss a scratched one quickly?
Because one of the things it won't release is the food you are cooking. I thought I made that clear.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:44 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
If a scratched non-stick surface will not release anything, why did you still toss a scratched one quickly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Because one of the things it won't release is the food you are cooking. I thought I made that clear.
Sir Loin means that the food will stick to the scratched part of the non-stick pan. In other words, the pan won't release the food.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:17 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
YES!
OK just any cheap non-stick of any kind in the market is still perfectly safe even slightly scratched am I correct
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
OK just any cheap non-stick of any kind in the market is still perfectly safe even slightly scratched am I correct

Yes, as long as you don't let it get super hot. Any normal cooking temperatures are fine. If you leave it on a burner, empty, it could react as I described above.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Yes, as long as you don't let it get super hot. Any normal cooking temperatures are fine. If you leave it on a burner, empty, it could react as I described above.
super hot? hard to define! how about frying a number of dishes with moderate fire continuously for an hour? This is probably the most extreme scenario in my kitchen, will it be super hot? My kitchen is using direct fire, is it a problem to non-stick?

I'm not worried about cooking fishes or meat because I will use low heat always. But I like to fry with high heat when frying rice or vegetables.

Did you mean something very intentional and very long time will reach "super hot"?
Old 08-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

If you leave it on high heat for 10 minutes, it will get super hot. Cooking food in it keeps it a bit cooler. If I wanted to sear a steak or something like that, I'd use a cast iron or stainless steel skillet.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
super hot? hard to define! how about frying a number of dishes with moderate fire continuously for an hour? This is probably the most extreme scenario in my kitchen, will it be super hot? My kitchen is using direct fire, is it a problem to non-stick?

I'm not worried about cooking fishes or meat because I will use low heat always. But I like to fry with high heat when frying rice or vegetables.

Did you mean something very intentional and very long time will reach "super hot"?
Pan temperatures attained in ANY normal cooking will be hundreds of degrees below the danger point.

To reach the danger point, you'd have to light your burner and put an empty pan on it and was away for ten minutes.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Pan temperatures attained in ANY normal cooking will be hundreds of degrees below the danger point.

To reach the danger point, you'd have to light your burner and put an empty pan on it and was away for ten minutes.
by the way, I don't need to have the non-stick pan to get hot before pouring oil onto it, is it true? It's the salesman said
Old 08-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I always thought the coating of non-stick was dangerous, but now I think I should get a non-stick pan immediately tomorrow!
because it's really cheap here, compared to pans of other materials!
Old 08-23-2021, 11:00 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I heard thousands of people told me scratched non-stick surface will release carcinogenic materials into the food! Was it fake?

Thousands of people, eh? Well, sadly, they are wrong.