Why stainless steel cookware isn't as popular as the others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't try to tell this board that Chinese people have as much freedom as us Americans. I don't live in China, but it is evident the government does call all the shots.

Who tried to start the politics fight first? I always discuss cooking here and nothing else that the moderators always know.

You don't live in China then where did you get your evidence? How evident is it?

Fact is many Chinese people have more freedom than Americans in reality. Getting mad to hear that? Click report then I don't mind

Stainless steel can be damaged by abrasive pads, the wrong cleaners, and even ordinary things like water and salt. One possible downside of stainless steel is leaching heavy metals into food. This is more likely if you cook acidic foods in a stainless-steel pot for a long time. Stainless steel can contain iron, chromium, and nickel, the latter having no nutritional benefit in the body. That's why stainless steel isn't popular than others.

Stainless steel can be damaged by abrasive pads, the wrong cleaners, and even ordinary things like water and salt. One possible downside of stainless steel is leaching heavy metals into food. This is more likely if you cook acidic foods in a stainless-steel pot for a long time. Stainless steel can contain iron, chromium, and nickel, the latter having no nutritional benefit in the body. That's why stainless steel isn't popular than others.
Stainless steel is known to be non-reactive - it doesn't leach anything into food. It sounds like you're confusing stainless steel with cast iron.

Quote from an article on heavy metals in the National Library of Medicine:
It has been reported that metals such as cobalt (Co), copper (Cu), chromium (Cr), iron (Fe), magnesium (Mg), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), nickel (Ni), selenium (Se) and zinc (Zn) are essential nutrients that are required for various biochemical and physiological functions [12].
I´ve never heard of stainless steel "leaching" anything. In fact, its high resistance to heat and cooking is the reason we DO use it, rather than other materials.

This is completely incorrect. Stainless steel is popular as a cooking vessel because it does none of the things you suggest.

Stainless steel is still popular in my kitchen.

I use an assortment of vintage American-made Revere ware copper-bottomed stainless steel pots almost every day.

I shop at a lot of different second hand stores. As long as you dont care it doesn't match you can get stainless steel silverware very cheap. Heck yesterday is found 2 fancy sets I the wooden box with velvet for like $15. It was gold plated. I almost bought it.

Well, you learn something new every day lol I wouldn't worry about this, though, unless people like to cook their tomato sauce for 20 hours or more. And since the only effect they talk about is contact dermatitis, I don't think cooking in stainless steel presents a major health issue.
Cooking Time

Figure 1B*illustrates the effects of cooking time on Ni and Cr leaching into tomato sauce. We found no significant increases in metal leached between a two and 6 hr cooking time. However, after twenty hours of cooking, Ni concentrations reached 7.63 mg/kg, approximately a 95-fold increase from TS cooked in the absence of stainless steel. Similarly, after twenty hours of cooking, Cr concentrations averaged 7.06 mg/kg, nearly a 9-fold increase from the control TS. This data shows that significant increases in Ni and Cr leaching occur with increased cooking times.

Last edited:
is any type of stainless steel pans good? What if its a cheap price one?

So does the stainless steel pan need to have any requirements? Such as make sure it isn't a cheap price pan? imagine you see a $15 dollar stainless steel pan. Do you need to make sure it says 18/10 on it? Does it need to say high quality stainless steel on it?

What brand are good? What about gibson overseas? Or does any brand work as long as it says stainless steel even if its a cheap brand?

You've asked the same question on many different threads.

It isn't life or death. Buy the pan you can afford. It will cook food.

A 200 dollar stainless pan cooks food and a 15 dollar stainless pan cooks food.

I have both. All bought used for like 7-15 dollars. I feel fortunate to live where there is a large used/thrift culture. Some places don't have that.

I honestly haven't noticed much difference in how they cook. Maybe the expensive pan is a bit more ergonomic or consistant in heating, but not enough to matter.

And the stainless Dutch oven you have can be used for anything you want. Just clean it after use.

That was going to be my suggestion. A wide taller sided pan that has multiple uses, as well as a lid.

I am NOT saying that Stainless steel isn't popular, I am saying that why it's LESS popular than the other materials. When I find 1 piece of stainless steel there would be 5-10 pieces of non-stick alone.

Sounds like it's more similar to the U.S. situation than we thought. Almost everyone I know cooks with non-stick, except me. Even my girlfriend, and she lives with me. We both use SS sauce pans, but that's our only SS.

I was curious about Hexclad (made in China), and considered buying a set for my GF, as she's not ever leaving non-stick.

...I was curious about Hexclad (made in China), and considered buying a set for my GF, as she's not ever leaving non-stick.
Hi, runscott, and welcome! I purchased a Black Cube 8" pan about six months ago. Frieling makes cookware with a cooking surface similar to Hexclad, but I think it's made in Germany rather than China. I couldn't find anything definitive, though. While I don't use it often, I find that food cooks well in it and clean up is quick and easy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Black Cube pans when I need to replace any cookware.

Hi, runscott, and welcome! I purchased a Black Cube 8" pan about six months ago. Frieling makes cookware with a cooking surface similar to Hexclad, but I think it's made in Germany rather than China. I couldn't find anything definitive, though. While I don't use it often, I find that food cooks well in it and clean up is quick and easy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Black Cube pans when I need to replace any cookware.

Thanks - I just checked, and it's also made in China.

Okay, Amazon said Black Cube is made in China. I just called Frieling and she initially said 'Germany', but when I told her that Amazon said 'China', she got out the specs and found that they are made in Viet Nam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom