Why stainless steel cookware isn't as popular as the others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
In the market I found that most cookware or dishware are made of ceramics, melamine, nonstick or plastic, yes I also found stainless steel but it is not as popular as the others. I really don't understand... What is the drawback of stainless steel? Just because it's a little bit more costly than other materials?

For cookware, SS is the standard in The U.S. and Europe. It has been for some time. Carbon steel woks and skillets and cast iron cookware are less popular. You'll get your best results with SS, CS and CI. Nonstick coated pans (ceramic and Teflon) are popular because the offer ease of cleaning.

SS is popular for dishware in some countries. Melamine was popular here in the U.S. in the last century but died out.

If there is less stainless steel cookware available, it might be related to how durable it its. Stainless steel cookware lasts a really long time. People don't need to replace it often, like some of those other types of cookware.

I have a set of Lagostina stainless steel cookware that gets used a lot and my husband bought it in 1989. It still looks good too. The only cookware that we have bought since 1989 is a stainless steel stockpot and two non-stick skillets. One lasted about a year, so we bought a better quality one and it has lasted three years so far.

In the market I found that most cookware or dishware are made of ceramics, melamine, nonstick or plastic, yes I also found stainless steel but it is not as popular as the others. I really don't understand... What is the drawback of stainless steel? Just because it's a little bit more costly than other materials?

Stainless steel cookware is incredibly popular and has been so for generations. As Andy said, it pretty much the standard in the US.

Hey, Kenny - over there it may be a cost issue.
Over here, everyone buys stainless steel cookware if they can afford it, because it lasts forever.

Doesn't matter where you live....
it is simply boils down to a matter of...

feed the kid or buy nice cook ware

IF that is your situation, you don't care about the costs in the long run... you are feeding your kid that night.

Years ago, I spotted some frypans in a K-Mart that had stainless steel inside and copper outside. They appeared to be high quality but were not costly. Branded 'Martha Stewart' and made in China. The materials, handles, and finish were all very similar to All-Clad pans that cost 3-4 times as much. So I bought them and they have been wonderful: much better for browning than my nonstick pans.

It makes me wonder if the factory did work for All-Clad, then used the specs to knock off similar cookware under other brand names.

Years ago, ...

It makes me wonder if the factory did work for All-Clad, then used the specs to knock off similar cookware under other brand names.

I was lead to believe that a lot of big (food) names also manufacture lesser names but they are actually the same.

:LOL::LOL: Just found out that China produces most of the world's catsup! (including Heinz')

Doesn't matter where you live....
it is simply boils down to a matter of...

feed the kid or buy nice cook ware

IF that is your situation, you don't care about the costs in the long run... you are feeding your kid that night.
In a centrally determined economy, what's available to buy isn't decided by what the customers want, but by government planners. So where you live determines what you see in the shops.

Stainless steel cookware is incredibly popular and has been so for generations. As Andy said, it pretty much the standard in the US.

I am NOT saying that Stainless steel isn't popular, I am saying that why it's LESS popular than the other materials. When I find 1 piece of stainless steel there would be 5-10 pieces of non-stick alone.

People answering this need to remember that Kenny lives in China, which has a completely different economy than the West.

How different?
There is no restriction about what you sell and buy in China. Don't bring politics into cooking discussion

Hey, Kenny - over there it may be a cost issue.
Over here, everyone buys stainless steel cookware if they can afford it, because it lasts forever.

But stainless steel today is only a little bit more expensive than nonstick or other alternatives but its advantages I can think of are a lot more than nonstick or other alternatives. Durability and safety are already the biggest advantages.

I think Stainless and Carbon are great. I do have Stainless but wish now I had Carbon... what can I tell you.:ermm:

I found - an 8" stainless - $28 Cdn; an 8" carbon - $86 Cdn. This is a couple of years ago but none the less pretty big difference for me.

My mother bought some SS cookware back in the 1940's and it still looks good with no signs of ware on it to this day. That's a lot of years...
I've owned parrots most of my life and the other stuff is poisonous to birds. So, I've owned stainless steel pots and pans for about 40 years. They still look new and are safe for humans, too, unlike some of the other stuff.
NOTE: I didn't buy a set when I was younger, too expensive! I pieced it together over the years. A pot here, a pot there. I don't eat fried foods so I never bought a frying pan but I now own a number of various sized pots to do all my cooking in.

Last edited:
How different?
There is no restriction about what you sell and buy in China. Don't bring politics into cooking discussion

Don't try to tell this board that Chinese people have as much freedom as us Americans. I don't live in China, but it is evident the government does call all the shots.

But stainless steel today is only a little bit more expensive than nonstick or other alternatives but its advantages I can think of are a lot more than nonstick or other alternatives. Durability and safety are already the biggest advantages.

Nope. I buy and so do many others, inexpensive non-stick pans/skillets and throw them away when they need to be replaced.
A decent SS skillet is much more expensive than a Tramontina, T-Fal or other under $20 non-stick. The Tramontina at Costco was a three pack of skillets and was $29. They lasted a few years.
I used to buy Calphalon non-stick and I will never buy an expensive non-stick again.

NOTE: I didn't buy a set when I was younger, too expensive! I pieced it together over the years. A pot here, a pot there. I don't eat fried foods so I never bought a frying pan but I now own a number of various sized pots to do all my cooking in.

We bought a set of pots and pans early in our marriage. Calphalon anodized. They are still with us and used regularly.
But since then I only buy piece meal. One reason we have so many pans. I also bought my kitchen knives one at a time.
You don't have a skillet? How do you cook eggs? Saute? In our house the skillets get the most use followed by one or two pots. I could not be without a frying pan or skillet. It a requirement in my kitchen.

I don't eat fried foods. Can't stand the taste of grease! Fried chicken gags me. I cook my eggs soft boiled or poached and occasionally hard boiled. I bake bacon. I only bake, steam or boil food. A frying pan is useless to me.
I rarely saute but a clump of butter in a pot will saute onions nicely. Ya don't need a frying pan to do it. :chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom