"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Wooden or bamboo chopstick?

which one is better?

I thought wood was more natural and a better material for chopsticks but it's said it would trap bacteria and virus more easily because it is usually without any coating on the surface while it is said bamboo could leach toxic or unwanted chemical if not used properly. What's your opinion?

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Master Chef

As long as you follow good cleaning practices it does not matter which type you use.

Use which ever kind you like the feel of in your hand and in your mouth.

A lot of people use plastic/resin chopsticks now as well. Then there are the metal ones used especially for cooking.

If you are really really concerned about not being able to clean then use disposable ones.

I also believe for anything to "leach" from the sticks they would have to sit in the food (or your mouth) for a long time.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
As long as you follow good cleaning practices it does not matter which type you use.

Use which ever kind you like the feel of in your hand and in your mouth.

A lot of people use plastic/resin chopsticks now as well. Then there are the metal ones used especially for cooking.

If you are really really concerned about not being able to clean then use disposable ones.

I also believe for anything to "leach" from the sticks they would have to sit in the food (or your mouth) for a long time.
plastic/resin? Did you mean Melamine? I wish I'll be able to find and buy some plastic, rather than Melamine chopsticks!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
Master Chef

I've never examined the chopsticks I've seen so have no idea if they are plastic or resin (which are not the same thing). But I'm pretty sure that not all plastics are the same. Varieties must be endless!

Melamine is one compound of plastics used to make a variety of things from shelving to dishware.

My personal choice is wood or bamboo - I find, especially now with arthritis, that I can get a better grip with them. Not only in my fingers but on the food!
Old 10-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Totally agree with the Dragn!
Proper washing is key if you re-use your chopsticks, regardless of what they´re made of.
And like food that´s been left in the fridge for a while:
If in doubt, chuck it out.
Use disposable ones.
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Cook

How about cedar chopstick? Any comment? It's a lot more expensive than either wood or bamboo
Old 10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Cedar is a type of wood...
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

If they are expensive then they are specialized in some way and meant as a personal item. Many families each have their own chopsticks that they use. Albeit this is a bit extreme but for example... you would not use your father's toothbrush, nor would you use his chopsticks.

I've never bother to notice which wood my chopstick are. I do have a pair that are a slightly darker colour than most but it could be any kind of wood.
Truth to tell?... don't care, as long as they feel good in my hand when I use them.

If you are buying them as a gift, then great! Hope that the person gifted enjoys them!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

As long as you keep em clean it makes no difference. Next question.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

But one thing for sure…
I prefer to use chopsticks on salads, whenever possible.
They’re so much more practical than using a fork.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
But one thing for sure…
I prefer to use chopsticks on salads, whenever possible.
They’re so much more practical than using a fork.
I always use chopsticks because I am Chinese
Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
If they are expensive then they are specialized in some way and meant as a personal item. Many families each have their own chopsticks that they use. Albeit this is a bit extreme but for example... you would not use your father's toothbrush, nor would you use his chopsticks.

I've never bother to notice which wood my chopstick are. I do have a pair that are a slightly darker colour than most but it could be any kind of wood.
Truth to tell?... don't care, as long as they feel good in my hand when I use them.

If you are buying them as a gift, then great! Hope that the person gifted enjoys them!
Nope, the cedar chopsticks are a lot more expensive than just "wood", it's about 4 times the price. I didn't pick the wood one because it can attract insect so easily, then I got the bamboo one because it had coating
Old 10-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Price does not change fact that Cedar IS wood. I have multiple sets of chopsticks, some from 58 years ago and have never had problems with cleaning any of them. No matter what they are made of, I reuse the bamboo "disposable" chopsticks for cooking.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Wooden or bamboo chopstick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I always use chopsticks because I am Chinese

Well, I am in America so I use forks and knives for the most part. But the Japanese in me tells my little brain to go for the chopsticks. I often use a combination of both, chopsticks for the salad, and fork and steak knife for my ribeye steak, at home. That could be a challenge at a steakhouse restaurant… asking for chopsticks…lol.

BTW, I like aluminum chopsticks, they’re easy to clean.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I only use a spoon ( except for spaghetti) .
I never was able to use chopsticks efficiently. I wasn't able to enjoy what I was eating because I was focussing too much on trying too use the chopsticks.
Although, my son who has been in China 2 + years, now uses chopsticks primarily.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #16
Master Chef

Gosh Larry, has it been 2 years already... seems to me he just went over there a couple of months ago! LOL how time flies!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I only use a spoon ( except for spaghetti) .
I never was able to use chopsticks efficiently. I wasn't able to enjoy what I was eating because I was focussing too much on trying too use the chopsticks.
Although, my son who has been in China 2 + years, now uses chopsticks primarily.
Learn and try.

In addition to being a Chinese, I like using chopsticks because it is usually made of wood or bamboo so they can withstand heat and I can cook with it, stirring things very conveniently, at the same time it has a nice touch with almost all kind of dishware, I don't like my stainless steel spoon or fork to hit on my ceramic bowl, it is like scratching things. Try to think about using a metal fork to pick up food on a ceramic bowl, I can immediately think of the horrible sound made. I don't even like my ceramic spoon to hit on my ceramic bowl too, its sound isn't alright, but wood and bamboo are perfect for almost all surfaces.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I learned to use chopsticks about fifty years ago. Then, I went on the macrobiotic diet and the book recommended eating with chopsticks to slow down your eating and remind you to chew every mouthful, I think it was 50 times. In any case, I got very proficient with chopsticks quite quickly. I don't often eat with chopsticks nowadays, mostly when having Asian food. I'll have to try eating salad with chopsticks and see what I think of it. I have gone through phases when I preferred chopsticks for any meals that didn't need to be cut up on my plate.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Gosh Larry, has it been 2 years already... seems to me he just went over there a couple of months ago! LOL how time flies!
Yeah, August was 2 years and he just signed another 1 year contract.

I asked him what he uses there primarily. He said unless he goes to a 'Western Restaurant ', where they provide forks, he jus about always uses chopsticks.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Is bamboo not wood?

Bitser is offline   Reply With Quote