Favorite Holiday Beverages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
So, what special drinks are on tap for the holidays? I'm normally a beer and wine guy, but come Christmas time I like to have the odd cocktail. Right now I'm having a White Russian to celebrate the next two and a half days off. But, just one. I still have a lot to do and it is still early. Over the next couple of days I'll probably have a Ceasar or two...I grabbed up a couple dozen craft beers for the fridge and my brothers are spending the day here tomorrow...we'll put a dent in that, no doubt. We like to gift each other beers that we haven't tried yet. I'll open a bottle of white for dinner tomorrow, Pino Grigio in the fridge. But, I'm likely the only one that will have a glass. Nodody else really drinks it. It will go back in the fridge and be consumed over the next week or two. After dinner, I may have a Jaeger or a single malt scotch, and GF likes her brandy..she drinks about one a month...I have to go back into work Boxing day for a few hours, and the kids(they are adults now) are coming so I don't normally have much when they visit....

Last edited:
Cosmopolitans are sort of the "family holiday drink". Love White Russians too. Wine, and the guys drink beer.

julmust!! It is a must to have must on Christmas! Oh I love Julmust, lovely malted flavour and sweetness. I drink way too much during it time it is available.

Just had a Bloody Mary with pickled asparagus. Very festive red and green color and delicious. Not mention I got a couple of servings of vegetables!

Last edited:
This is a recipe I posted here several years ago. Low carb it's not! :LOL::santa:

Old Fashioned Hot Buttered Rum batter

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups vanilla ice cream
rum
water
nutmeg

Combine sugar, brown sugar and butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted (6-8 min).

Combine cooked mixture with ice-cream in a large mixing bowl, and beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until smooth (1-2 min). Store refrigerated up to 2 weeks or frozen up to one month.

For each serving, fill one-quarter of a mug with mixture, add one ounce rum and three-quarters of a cup of boiling water. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Oooh! Reminds me of Tom and Jerrys, and adult eggnog! Haven't had either one in an eon or two, but they and HBR are all so good!

We'll have a better-than-boxed wine with dinner. I picked up a nice Gamay Beaujolais when I went to the adult beverage store yesterday. Himself likes Bourbon (I do, too, but less often) so I got a bottle of that. I like Campari, but balk at the price so I don't buy it often. I did yesterday, along with a small bottle of sweet vermouth, and will be trying a Boulevardier sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I also like seasonal tea mixes during the winter months. My go-to right now is Harney and Sons Holiday blend. It's a little like the old-time favorite "Constant Comment" but has a bit more oomph.

Bottoms up, everyone!

Kayelle, I remember that from last time, but never remembered to try it. Hmm, I did buy a bottle of rum at the beverage store yesterday. We may have these as dessert tomorrow, instead of dessert. Then again, I did buy all those ingredients. OR we could have both!

I'm not a whisky drinker but a co-worker just gave me a bottle of Trader Joe's Canadian Whisky for Xmas. I might just have some of that tonight as well...:)
I don't think I will be re-gifting this bottle. :LOL:

Polish coffees are our old tradition, although we haven't had them in a while.

It's much like an Irish coffee, but instead of whiskey you use nutmeg vodka (vanilla flavoured vodka also works).

You dip the rim of the coffee mug in a dish of grenadine, then in sugar , then add the vodka, pour in the coffee, and top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.

Nutmeg vodka. Huh. Never heard of it. I've been out of the bartending business for awhile, and I'm more of a purist.

DH got some whipped cream flavored vodka from work. Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Not even sure what I would do with it, other than beat it into some whipped cream.

Last edited:
So, what special drinks are on tap for the holidays? I'm normally a beer and wine guy, but come Christmas time I like to have the odd cocktail. Right now I'm having a White Russian to celebrate the next two and a half days off. But, just one....
I've been drinking White Russians for the last few weeks, too. I don't know if I consider it a Christmas cocktail, but it's the only time of year I ever drink them. And yeah... just one. They can sneak up on you pretty quick. :stuart:

I'll also occasionally have an eggnog with brandy.

Other than that, I'm a wine guy year round. I tend to break out some of the better bottles around the holidays, though.

Last edited:
I was planning to make hot buttered rum tonight, but DH drank the rum without me :ermm: (over the last couple weeks). I like champagne cocktails better than champagne (sparkling wine, really), so tomorrow I will have Prosecco with Kahlua.

Funny, I've been having White Russians, too, lately, using the half and half DH puts in his coffee ;)

Cheers!

Huh? Prosecco with Kahlua? I've never heard of that, GG. Mixed? Old school bartender here. I'll make you a Brandy Alexander, Grasshopper, Harvey Wallbanger, Manhattan, Old Fashioned....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom