Instant coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, at the risk of sounding like a snob I don't make instant either. Since I am the only one in my house that drinks coffee I usually make 4 cups at a time which is 2 mugs for me. I have a friend that is a coffee roaster and I get my whole beans from him. (I just re-read this and I do sound like a snob) :angel:

I drink instant coffee at work as a matter of convenience. I prefer it over Starbucks. In fact, I like McDonald's premium blend coffee over most coffee houses' coffees.

But at home, I'm strictly a tea drinker. I like all kinds of tea. No sugar, of course, just like my coffee.

OMG, both hubby and I drink "instant" coffee. Since my husband only drinks 1 cup of coffee, and it's before I get up in the morning, I don't often get to make a pot of coffee. As for the brand, it has to be Folgers, unless we're almost out of Folger's and Walgreen's happens to have Maxwell House on sale, then Maxwell House will have to do. Instant coffee's not all that bad, especially if one adds a flavored coffee creamer to it.

I agree with some of the posters that instant coffee isn't all that bad. I hate making a full pot, and if Mark doesn't drink any, it goes to waste. I often have it at night, and it's decaf... black with a little sugar.

We don't drink coffee here even though we both love it (it gives me migraines and bother's DH's ulcer). My Dad has used instant as long as I can remember and even though I have a coffee maker, he insists on the instant. I brew coffee for many recipes and for friends. However, my signature chocolate cake seems to do better with instant than brewed - haven't a clue why!

We used to drink instant when I was still in school. My problem with instant was that no matter what brand we used and how we measured it the coffee didn't taste the same each time. We use Eight O'clock Columbia roast. I think it is better than many of the specialty brands and is very consistent in taste. We drink 2 8-cup pots a day with dh drinking a good bit more than I do since I drink a lot more water than he does.

sorry no instant for me. i use in cooking and that is it. i like folgers coffee and never buy anything else. i fix pot night before when doing dishes. i punch it on when i get up. don't set the timer, never know what time i will get up. i use splendia and coffee mate powder. the liquid gets to expensive when i drink four huge cups. makes four reg. size. any left over , just make iced coffee later.

to each his own i guess. but i read the paper and drink my coffee, and i really want real coffee

No instant for me, either. We grind our own beans that are grown about 25 miles from here and only make two cups at a time because we don't like the flavor after it sits on the burner. But when I was in China a few years ago, all the coffee was Nescafe - it came in little stick-shaped packets with the cream (powdered) and sugar already in it. It wasn't really all that bad.....better than no coffee at all.

I do a little bit of everything (e.g. instant, cold-brewed, French Press).

When I brew coffee, I usually only take it w/ sweetener, however when I hav to go to instant then creamer seems to be a must. Also: a styrofoam cup seems to enhance the instant coffee experience. whether this is real or psychological I don't know but it is possible that the styrofoam might change the surface tension of the water, I recall I used to do patent research for some food companies and they often claimed (whether true or not) that certain ingredients e.g tannins were used to vary, e.g. pH, surface tension etc..

What is the best instant coffee? Maxwell house?

Instant coffee is WONDERFUL when the power is out and you can't brew any! :LOL: But, if I use instant I also want to use powdered creamer - the two just go hand-in-hand! :rolleyes: It brings back some great memories.

I use and set it up in advance a
Black & Decker DCM18S Brew 'n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug. The mug is 15 oz.

My favorite coffee is Eight O'clock.

I actually like taster's choice, I buy the brown botle though. I am sorry to say but most coffees made in American homes are nasty tasting anyway, even in those fancy stores. The only way one would know about that if one travels to Europe or Midle East, ahhh, there one will realise what the real good coffee tastes like. In the mean time just add like a half a can of sweetened condenced milk to you cup of brown water and everything will taste fine.

Back
Top Bottom