Price of Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We call it the ABC store because in Virginia, only the state can sell liquor (other than in restaurants) under the Alcoholic Beverage Control system :wacko: A leftover from Prohibition days.

Odd isn't it. In Ontario, we bought booze from the LCB store, and beer from the beer depot. I think PA has a similar setup. Here along the river you can buy booze and beer at any grocery store, convenience store, drugstore, and gas station.

Not much of a beer drinker here no matter the price.

I guess you don't like beer much?

Agree. Even when trying to loose weight, beer stays on the menu. I take the carbs out with other foods. I could not imagine not having beer to drink. I'm having one with my lunch right now. Bud Light in a can.

I use the same thinking about football. I spend $300 a season to get every game during the regular season. Going to one game with my wife would be more than double that.
So, I get the NFL Sunday Ticket to watch my team each Sunday.
And yes, I will drink a few beers.

I will drink any kind of beer. I like light beers in a the Pilsner category. I do not like the dark heavy beers and craft beers.
I want to drink it, not make a meal out of it.
Some of those darker beers will fill you up so fast, you will not have room for food.

I can get Natural Light for $14.47 a case. 24 12 oz cans. I prefer can over bottle and have no idea why.
But I always get cans for the home fridge and drink cans at my pool bar.

My wife likes Corona. In the bottle. I love Dos Equis dark on tap in an ice cold mug at Mexican restaurants. Seems every Mexican restaurant serves it.
It does not taste heavy and is smooth as silk.

Natty light, eh? :huh:

I can't criticize, as these days I mostly drink Busch Non-Alcohol beer. Basically, fizzy water.

Living in Texas, and working with Mexican immigrants on a regular basis, I no longer drink Corona -- gringo beer. I do like Dos Equis -- and Tecate. At Mexican/TexMex restaurants, I order Pacifico. Pacifico or SOL is Mexican working-man beers, and they are pretty darned goo, too.

I'm too old to be a hipster, so I don't drink PBR -- don't think I've ever had one, to be honest. But, I just read that PBR sales are declining, since hipsters now see it as too "mainstream" for them. Whatever.

CD

We call our's Liquor Stores here....View attachment 31926

I go to LA a lot, and I remember landing at LAX one time years ago, and I'd had a rough day. I walked into a Ralph's for some snacks, and hopefully some cold beer, and was amazed to see liquor on the beer isle. Liquor in a grocery store???!!! But, it was a Sunday, so I asked a Ralph's employee if I could buy a bottle of Jack on a Sunday. He laughed. Obviously, he had never been to Texas, where alcohol laws are written by the Southern Baptist Convention. :LOL:

Oh, a little tip to anyone who might find themselves in Oklahoma... Beer in most stores and restaurants is limited to 3.2-percent alcohol -- near beer. You have to go to a liquor store to by real beer, and of course, they are required by law to be closed on Sunday.

And, if you come to Texas, and want to watch a Football game on Sunday at noon, with beer, you better buy the beer on Saturday, before midnight, because you can't buy it before noon on Sunday -- and don't even think about buying liquor after 9PM on Saturday. You gotta' wait until Monday for that.

CD

We call it the ABC store because in Virginia, only the state can sell liquor (other than in restaurants) under the Alcoholic Beverage Control system :wacko: A leftover from Prohibition days.

When I was a kid in Pennsylvania, my dad had to go to "The State Store" to buy alcoholic beverages. I don't know if that is still true today.

CD

I find that to be true with "Craft Beer". Most of the major brands that I buy are always having sales. Personally I'm not fond of "Craft Beer". I also can't stand bud, bud light or busch. I really like Abita products, especially Amber, Purple Haze and Andygator.

I like Abita, but not Turbo Dog. Emeril made that crap famous. Nasty, IMHO. :cool: :LOL:

Purple Haze is a nice change of pace beer.

CD

Odd isn't it. In Ontario, we bought booze from the LCB store, and beer from the beer depot. I think PA has a similar setup. Here along the river you can buy booze and beer at any grocery store, convenience store, drugstore, and gas station.

Not much of a beer drinker here no matter the price.
PA is nuts - you have to buy beer and wine by the case from a warehouse-like place, unless you can find a restaurant that will sell you a bottle or a six-pack. I don't know about the liquor there.

We were shocked when we moved here from MI in 1985, where we had liquor stores like the one Roadfix posted, and liquor, beer and wine available in grocery stores. Here, the ABC stores were closed on Sundays and no alcohol sales between midnight Saturday and 6 pm Sunday, or something like that. My mom told me that when she was growing up here in the '50s, you could not buy liquor by the drink - you had to buy a whole bottle. I believe sangria is still illegal because it includes both wine and liquor. The General Assembly is looking at changing that.

PA is nuts - you have to buy beer and wine by the case from a warehouse-like place, unless you can find a restaurant that will sell you a bottle or a six-pack. I don't know about the liquor there.

We were shocked when we moved here from MI in 1985, where we had liquor stores like the one Roadfix posted, and liquor, beer and wine available in grocery stores. Here, the ABC stores were closed on Sundays and no alcohol sales between midnight Saturday and 6 pm Sunday, or something like that. My mom told me that when she was growing up here in the '50s, you could not buy liquor by the drink - you had to buy a whole bottle. I believe sangria is still illegal because it includes both wine and liquor. The General Assembly is looking at changing that.

I remember moving from Port Arthur, on the Texas coast, to North Texas to go to college, back in 1979. In Port Arthur, booze of all kinds was readily available, and they only ID you needed was cash money. I had no problem buying booze at 16.

So, I get to Denton (UNT), and my new roommate tells me you have to drive 30 miles to find a little, tiny town with 300 people and ten liquor stores. :LOL:

There was a night club across the street from the dorm, called the Mean Green (after famous alum Mean Joe). The drinking age was 18, so I was legal, but, you had to buy a "membership" to order alcohol. Only "private clubs" could serve alcohol. It was that way all over North Texas, including Dallas. I ended up with a wallet full of "membership" cards. It was stupid.

Those idiotic laws are mostly gone, now, but not until well into the 2000's. I still have to drive to one of the neighboring towns to buy liquor by the bottle, but the restaurants are allowed to serve it now. BUT, no "bars." A business can not acquire more than 50-percent of it's sales from alcohol. Thats the law!

Funny thing... Dallas at one time had the most strippers per capita of any major city. Strippers on Saturday night with the boys, Church with the wife and kids on Sunday morning. :LOL:

CD

Natty light, eh? :huh:

I can't criticize, as these days I mostly drink Busch Non-Alcohol beer. Basically, fizzy water.

Living in Texas, and working with Mexican immigrants on a regular basis, I no longer drink Corona -- gringo beer. I do like Dos Equis -- and Tecate. At Mexican/TexMex restaurants, I order Pacifico. Pacifico or SOL is Mexican working-man beers, and they are pretty darned goo, too.

I'm too old to be a hipster, so I don't drink PBR -- don't think I've ever had one, to be honest. But, I just read that PBR sales are declining, since hipsters now see it as too "mainstream" for them. Whatever.
CD

What, no Jax?

I remember moving from Port Arthur, on the Texas coast, to North Texas to go to college, back in 1979. In Port Arthur, booze of all kinds was readily available, and they only ID you needed was cash money. I had no problem buying booze at 16.

So, I get to Denton (UNT), and my new roommate tells me you have to drive 30 miles to find a little, tiny town with 300 people and ten liquor stores. [emoji38]

There was a night club across the street from the dorm, called the Mean Green (after famous alum Mean Joe). The drinking age was 18, so I was legal, but, you had to buy a "membership" to order alcohol. Only "private clubs" could serve alcohol. It was that way all over North Texas, including Dallas. I ended up with a wallet full of "membership" cards. It was stupid.

Those idiotic laws are mostly gone, now, but not until well into the 2000's. I still have to drive to one of the neighboring towns to buy liquor by the bottle, but the restaurants are allowed to serve it now. BUT, no "bars." A business can not acquire more than 50-percent of it's sales from alcohol. Thats the law!

Funny thing... Dallas at one time had the most strippers per capita of any major city. Strippers on Saturday night with the boys, Church with the wife and kids on Sunday morning. [emoji38]

CD
This all sounds very familiar [emoji38] In high school and college in MI, it was well-known which liquor stores wouldn't ask to see ID and in Virginia, restaurants have to have at least 45 percent food sales. No bars here, either. And since the military has such a large presence here, strip clubs were pretty common in certain areas near the bases. And churches are on every other corner in this city :rolleyes:

We can only buy hard liquor at the provincial SAQ. But, they are open on Sundays until 1700 and they have specials. I even have a points card for free booze. They are the only place to buy some of the stronger beers, but other beer is sold in convenience stores and grocery stores.

We can only buy hard liquor at the provincial SAQ. But, they are open on Sundays until 1700 and they have specials. I even have a points card for free booze. They are the only place to buy some of the stronger beers, but other beer is sold in convenience stores and grocery stores.

My grandfather had six brothers, and one sister. Two of the brothers made a whole lot of money during the US Prohibition, importing Canadian Whiskey. It was illegal in Canada, too, for purchase and consumption, as I understand the history, but distilleries lined up on the US Canada border to make whiskey, which got smuggled to the US, and sold by people like my Uncle Tony and Uncle Sam (yes, that was his real name... Sam).

My grandfather worked for them as a young man, and told me stories about rolling wooden kegs of liquor down the hill into the river when the Feds showed up for a raid. :LOL:

CD

My grandfather had six brothers, and one sister. Two of the brothers made a whole lot of money during the US Prohibition, importing Canadian Whiskey. It was illegal in Canada, too, for purchase and consumption, as I understand the history, but distilleries lined up on the US Canada border to make whiskey, which got smuggled to the US, and sold by people like my Uncle Tony and Uncle Sam (yes, that was his real name... Sam).

My grandfather worked for them as a young man, and told me stories about rolling wooden kegs of liquor down the hill into the river when the Feds showed up for a raid. [emoji38]

CD
Canada only had national prohibition from 1918, as a war measures act, until a year after WWI ended. There were dry provinces. In Ontario there was a period when consumption of alcohol was banned, but some distilleries had exemptions to produce for export.

Canada only had national prohibition from 1918, as a war measures act, until a year after WWI ended. There were dry provinces. In Ontario there was a period when consumption of alcohol was banned, but some distilleries had exemptions to produce for export.

Yeah, that sounds like what I understand to be the history. There was a time where Canada allowed production for export, but not for consumption in Canada. That was when my uncles made their money. They weren't good men, either. They were run out of the family -- not for their business dealings, but for their family dealings. They weren't good brothers. In fact, they were back-stabbing brothers. We don't know what happened to them, and don't care.

CD

Back
Top Bottom