The Coffee Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cold Brewed Coffee

Hey All,

I got the recipe from this forum to make cold brewed coffee, and it is the best coffee I've ever had. I put the grounds into my French Press, and let it steep overnite on the counter, then put it in the fridge, and it is ready to drink whenever we want it. I only have to use a fraction of the cream I do in my AM hot coffee because the coffee flavor really comes thru. So, THANK YOU for the recipe and idea, whoever posted it. Wow, a Starbuck's freak from way back actually learned something new about coffee. Go figure... Altho I still only use the SB coffees, mind you!!!

B.

I love coffee talk!!! My coffee is usually with cream and Equal in the morning. On occasion, I'll have a capuccino with caramel syrup over the frothed milk. Mmmm.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }I got a wuestions about coffee. Every time I make home made coffee I get coffee headaches. But whyn I buy from starbucks or dunkin donuts I dont get those headaches. Am I making my coffee wrong? I tried it with a french press and instant coffee with no success.

Jet, I've been on the same quest. The system is a cold brew one that produces a concentrate. You keep it in the fridge and then add a certain amount to hot water to make a cup of coffee. I bought a Coffee Toddy and it does work very well. Now I'm trying to find the right coffee.

Douwe Egberts makes several "flavors" of coffee that are available to consumers but so far, I haven't found the right one. I'm afraid it may be one that's made only for their proprietary concentrates and systems and may not be available to folks like us. (Burger King's new gourmet coffee, BK Joe, is a Douwe Egberts concentrate.) If you find a source for this stuff, please post it! I'll do the same.
BTW, welcome to DC! We're glad you're here!

The only kind I have found in stores is Douwe Egberts Senseo in Medium Roast and French Vanilla, and neither were even close.

When we were in Spain last month we made coffee every morning using an espresso pot (little silver thingie you put on the stove) The coffee came out soooo good! We ordered one for home.

When we were in Spain last month we made coffee every morning using an espresso pot (little silver thingie you put on the stove) The coffee came out soooo good! We ordered one for home.
That's true, Redkitty. A Russian friend of mine always made me coffee using one of those little espresso pots, too, and it was wonderful. (Of course, he always added a shot of cognac to it so that may have helped.) I can't believe I never watched to see how he made it. Did you get directions with your pot? Any hints? You can buy them in any grocery store here and they are very inexpensive so maybe I'll pick one up, too.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }I got a wuestions about coffee. Every time I make home made coffee I get coffee headaches. But whyn I buy from starbucks or dunkin donuts I dont get those headaches. Am I making my coffee wrong? I tried it with a french press and instant coffee with no success.
I haven't a clue, Burnt Toast. Is there any chance you have a small gas leak in your kitchen?

BTW, welcome to DC! Glad you're here.

The only kind I have found in stores is Douwe Egberts Senseo in Medium Roast and French Vanilla, and neither were even close.
If you do a search on Amazon.com or ebay or even google Douwe Egberts, you will find ground and whole bean coffee. So far, I've only found about 5 different roast and flavors available to consumers.

Don't get me started on coffee.

I buy fresh fair trade whole bean coffee that has been roasted in state that week. I keep it in an air tight, opaque container. Every time I want coffee, I grind the beans fresh with a burr grinder and brew in a french press. I can't even drink the stuff at work.

I like mine with cream, and a tiny bit of sugar.

Don't get me started on coffee.

I buy fresh fair trade whole bean coffee that has been roasted in state that week. I keep it in an air tight, opaque container. Every time I want coffee, I grind the beans fresh with a burr grinder and brew in a french press. I can't even drink the stuff at work.

I like mine with cream, and a tiny bit of sugar.

I want a grinder like that.

I buy a locally roasted coffee called Doma. It is so rich and delicious. I take it with lots of half and half (organic) and lots of unrefined sugar. Brewed in a french press of course.

I bought a Bunn Commercial dual hopper burr grinder (used, on ebay) and a commercial Bunn brewer (also ebay). A lot of coffee gets drunk here and I love having a 12 cup pot brewed in 3 minutes. I have never used a french press, but so many people have said it's the only way to go so I'll probably try that too. I did get a cold brew system, as recommended by someone here at DC, for my little place at the coast and I'm amazed at the quality of the coffee. Very, very good. I haven't tried roasting my own beans yet but there are a lot of people here that do and have posted their methods. That's my next project. But for everyday, I grind my beans and then brew a pot, which I transfer to an airpot. (I never use the warmer on my machine.) Then I have a cup with half-n-half or, if I'm feeling wicked, heavy cream.

My favorite coffee beans are Ravens Brew beans. I am out right now and am patiently waiting for my next shipment.

I make my coffee in my Cuisinart Grind-n-Brew. I have a french press but don't use it much. I will bring it for camping though.

I take my coffee with sugar free vanilla cream or vanilla soymilk.

I bought a Bunn Commercial dual hopper burr grinder (used, on ebay) and a commercial Bunn brewer (also ebay). A lot of coffee gets drunk here and I love having a 12 cup pot brewed in 3 minutes. I have never used a french press, but so many people have said it's the only way to go so I'll probably try that too. I did get a cold brew system, as recommended by someone here at DC, for my little place at the coast and I'm amazed at the quality of the coffee. Very, very good. I haven't tried roasting my own beans yet but there are a lot of people here that do and have posted their methods. That's my next project. But for everyday, I grind my beans and then brew a pot, which I transfer to an airpot. (I never use the warmer on my machine.) Then I have a cup with half-n-half or, if I'm feeling wicked, heavy cream.

ooooh, that sounds like a nice grinder. About the french press - coffee filters filter out the oils from the beans, which are great. It's really the best taste you can get. The only problem with the oils is that they can actually raise your LDL cholesterol if I remember correctly.

My grinder is a black and decker burr grinder. It works for me, and it seems to produce a consistent grind. It's definitely no high end espresso grinder, but it works for my normal beans. If it wears out, I'm going to replace it with one of these Peugeot coffee mills.
Peugeot Bresil Coffee Mill: Walnut - Peugeot Grinders & Choppers

Also, since I found out we have some Huntsville members, great whole bean coffee can be bought from the following places in town:
- The Kaffeeklatch - roasted right in the store
- Olde Towne Coffee Shoppe - Higher Ground certified fair trade; good stuff
- Aromas - roasted in Tennessee, pretty good stuff

I haven't found anywhere in town to buy fresh roasted whole bean coffee, Falkon. I'm envious you have found 3. There probably are some places here - it's a big city - but I just haven't found them. I think the Peugeot coffee mill is beautiful. Have you ever used one?

I've never used a manual one, but I know the Peugeot one is high quality with the steel conical burrs. I also know it takes longer and yields less, but I really like the look.

If you go to any privately owned coffee shops, you'll probably find one selling good whole bean coffee. You might find the coffee there to be the best you've ever had as well. The key is that non-corporate coffee is almost always the best. Levels of coffee to me are as follows:
- Privately owned coffee shops
- Peet's - not bad for a chain.
- Starbucks - coffee tastes burnt. Lattes taste like hot milk
- Swill they make at work - it's just bad. It's that Maxwell House crap and some other stuff the vending company provides. It's BAD, it'll make you have heartburn, but MAN it's got some caffeine.

I'll definitely try that. Actually, there's a wonderful coffee place near me that's not a chain and has great coffee and great atmosphere. I never even thought to ask about buying beans there! Thanks for tip. I did get some Peet's beans recently and they were good, but didn't really ring my bell. I don't like Starbuck's personally either, but I think I actually don't care for dark roasts. Medium roasts seem to be the ones I'm drawn to. And you're right about work coffee - universally bad, especially if it's free.

I take fresh Starbuck's medium roast beans, toss them in the grinder and make one shot of espresso. Froth the warm milk, topped with espresso and dulce de leche syrup. Mmmm....we haven't been throwing our money away buying expensive coffee at Starbucks anymore. We make it at home.

Are you grinding it for an espresso though??

I order fresh coffee beans from sweet marias, then roast and grind. Grinder and roaster settings vary by coffee bean and are critical in how the coffee will taste.

Back
Top Bottom