The Coffee Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a FreshRoast 8+ that I found on CraigsList for $20, I think, and a recently scored Caffe Rosto, found in a thrift store for $4. Both are good, both are no longer made. They do small batches, which is good, because I like to blend roasts for a more complex flavor, and only roast 3 days ahead. I get raw beans generally from Sweet Maria's, online, and am partial to a Nayarit Rustico from Mexico. Fair trade, shade grown, organic and dry processed. Both roasters use fan-forced hot air, and both have automatic timers. And both can frequently be found for cheap on eBay, if you do not have access to good second-hand shops. Sweet Maria's is also a wealth of information on coffee, roasters and roasting. Home Coffee Roasting Supplies -Sweet Maria's
Thanks! I found both the FreshRoast and the Caffe Rosto on ebay. Do you prefer one over the other? I have been to Sweet Maria's and you're right - there's tons of info there. I'll definitely order my beans from there when I get a roaster. I like Mexican coffees too. The already roasted beans I buy at the store are Mexican beans.

Fresh ground, french pressed, Takes about the same time in the morning as starting breakfast. My coffee purvayor sells Kona as a leader for around 10 bucks a pound and roasts on premises. Costo Columbia Supremo is pretty good and much cheaper. French press allows you to make any quantity from a cup up without loss of flavor. Used to buy Meru from Africa. Haven't seen it in years, I have heard it got caught up in some civil war.

Thanks! I found both the FreshRoast and the Caffe Rosto on ebay. Do you prefer one over the other? I have been to Sweet Maria's and you're right - there's tons of info there. I'll definitely order my beans from there when I get a roaster. I like Mexican coffees too. The already roasted beans I buy at the store are Mexican beans.

Both roasters are equally good. The FreshRoast+8 is easier to dump after roasting. Be aware that the volatile oils produced by roasting may set off your smoke alarm. Whee!

Last step? Heehee...first step. Roasting will take some practice to perfect. But you'll get there, I have no doubt! Have fun!

I have ordered from Sweet Maria's and been well satisfied. I also buy raw cofee beans at a local Middle Eastern Grocery. You don't get all the information Sweet Maria provides but it's very convenient to get coffee locally; I get olive oil there also.

I roast in a frying pan on the stove top. Posted the details here somewhere a while back. Was going to get one of those fancy roasters if the cowboy thing didn't work out but I'm satisfied with the technique so never spent the money.
:)

Cast iron frying pan works fine for me. I do about 2 ounces (double layer of beans) at a time over medium heat until beans are brown and oily. Only problem is some beans pop out of pan. Can't cover pan because it requires constant stirring.

OK, here 'tis...the coffee thread, awakened. Fresh and hot just for you! And let me mention here that if you think you want to roast your own coffee but don't want to make a big investment in something you're not sure of, no worry. You can roast coffee in small batches in a hot air popcorn popper. Please note that the popper needs to be of the type that has the hot air inlets in the sides of the roasting (popping) chamber, not on the horizontal bottom surface. Find them in thrift stores for under five dollars. Find good instructions here

Black coffee for me.
Used to drink it with cream and sugar, but when pregnant for daughter 30 yrs ago, the cream bothered me and then it was to sweet so lil by lil the sugar left and now it is black only

my favorite coffee is Tim Horton's coffee - use to get just at the resturant but now it is in the grocery stores.

Hmmm sounds good think Ill go make a pot

where ever i go if i see coffee beans i grab a bag i taste a bean and if i like it in the bag some beans go. i put some of this and some of that in the bag and i have a wonderful blend. i like my coffee with sugar and 1/2 & 1/2.

I prefer the Freshroast...I generally like dry-processed coffees, and they produce a lot of chaff. The Freshroast just blows it out, but the Caffe Rosto recirculates the hot air, and the chaff can build up quickly and stop the air flow. You might consider starting out with a hot air popcorn popper. Same baych size, and much less $$$ to get started.

OK, here 'tis...the coffee thread, awakened. Fresh and hot just for you! And let me mention here that if you think you want to roast your own coffee but don't want to make a big investment in something you're not sure of, no worry. You can roast coffee in small batches in a hot air popcorn popper. Please note that the popper needs to be of the type that has the hot air inlets in the sides of the roasting (popping) chamber, not on the horizontal bottom surface. Find them in thrift stores for under five dollars. Find good instructions here
roasting with an air pop popcorn popper.

YouTube - Home Coffee Roasting

Wow! This thread has inspired me to try some new coffees. I am a coffee whore of sorts and as long as it's not instant I am all over it. I even have the bad habit of making a pot before bed, having a cup, and then microwaving cups in the morning. I prefer the stronger coffees but don't care for flavored. If I want flavor I'll add Bailey's...

Back
Top Bottom