What is your favorite alcoholic beverage to relax and unwind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm, love the drinking songs. Here's the Chairman of the Board doing "One For My Baby and One More for the Road". Notice he first drinks a whiskey and then enjoys a beer chaser. What a class act. Imagine the history he had seen in his life? Started performing during the Great Depression and continued through until the late 1990's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zhVeZphwE

Last edited:
Well the mood determines the elixir of choice. Sometimes a nice brandy, or a good rye, both straight of course. Every now and again a Manhattan works well too!

I have favorites for warm weather and cold weather.

Warm: chilled white wine, on the dry side; icy cold beer, preferably craft or small brewery, love me some Great Lakes Brewing beers; Campari, one cube, squeeze of lime wedge then tossed into the glass; Pain Killer or Dark and Stormy for when I want something decadent.

Cold: red wine; Bourbon, neat; decent but inexpensive Port; less-cold beer when we have pizza.

These are my usuals. I have wine every night (about 6-7 ounces total) and it's just the boxed stuff. I do have to maintain a certain BAC level in my blood to function. ;) Just Kidding! :LOL:

Anything else is either special occasion or when with friends. Or if Himself decides "tonight would be a good night for ______". He does like Pain Killers or a Dark and Stormy now and then.

On the way to breakfast, Karen spotted a place called Europa Deli. That perked our curiosity, so on the way back we checked it out. The place seems to cater to Russians. CharlieD we may need your help!:) Like the Asian markets, the folks seemed to only speak Russian and we saw many things that looked interesting, but we have no clue what they are. They had several Russian beer, so I figured that would be a good place to start.

Anyone ever tried/seen these?

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
On the way to breakfast, Karen spotted a place called Europa Deli. That perked our curiosity, so on the way back we checked it out. The place seems to cater to Russians. CharlieD we may need your help![emoji2] Like the Asian markets, the folks seemed to only speak Russian and we saw many things that looked interesting, but we have no clue what they are. They had several Russian beer, so I figured that would be a good place to start.

Anyone ever tried/seen these?

picture.php
Craig, lately the images you post look like this to me. Are you doing something differently?
2017-03-05-11-50-06.jpg

I don't have a "go-to." When out at a club/bar, I like sweet whiskey sours made with Jack Daniels. At a picnic or outside event, I like Angry Orchard hard cider. Winter holidays, I love eggnog with a bit of bourbon. Other times, the humble screwdriver is fine. I generally cook with wine or beer, but enjoy a country wine once in a while.

White Wine then maybe some Red but

never commercial stuff, can't take the sulfites nor the tannins.

I used to make it at home (yes, from kits). Both reds and whites, but the lifting and lugging of the full carboy's, whether or not they were plastic or glass, was becoming too much for me. So I now have a store do it for me, they make it - I bottle it.

I used to make it at home (yes, from kits). Both reds and whites, but the lifting and lugging of the full carboy's, whether or not they were plastic or glass, was becoming too much for me. So I now have a store do it for me, they make it - I bottle it.

I did not know there were stores that will do that! So cool!

That's a really good idea. I have a friend who was getting her wine that way. Even though she lives in Montreal, I think she was going to somewhere near Hawkesbury. If I remember correctly, it was some kind of co-op, to keep it legal. Where do you go?

I don't have a "go-to." When out at a club/bar, I like sweet whiskey sours made with Jack Daniels. At a picnic or outside event, I like Angry Orchard hard cider. Winter holidays, I love eggnog with a bit of bourbon. Other times, the humble screwdriver is fine. I generally cook with wine or beer, but enjoy a country wine once in a while.

A bit? :LOL:

Pink wine is my go-to. I also enjoy the occasional cocktail - I lean toward sweet or sweet & sour drinks, like a Cosmo, Lemon Drop or margarita. I'm not fond of champagne, since most of it is too dry for my taste, but I love a Prosecco cocktail with Frangelico for celebrations [emoji1635]
20201231_230040.jpg

This thread was started nearly a decade ago. Since my answer 3+ years ago, nothing much has changed.

I scrolled through all of the posts not for the content but for the members names. Wow, what a walk down memory lane. So many members who no longer come around...

Many places that sell the kits also "make" it for you. Different places have different sets of rules to keep it legal.

You have to add the first ingredients yourself, then the store keeps it at the right temps, transfers them when time, filter it. Then you must come in and bottle it yourself. This keeps it legal for as you having "made" it. Quebec was having a lot of trouble with the SAQ and legal gibberish, they kept losing but keep on trying. I don't think it cuts into their booze sales.

Your friend probably went to Hawkesbury (there are a couple) when Quebec kept having so many problems. But I believe there is one on Sources right near you, one in Pointe Claire, then Vaudreuil, and one not far from me.
And those are the only ones I personally know of.

Many places that sell the kits also "make" it for you. Different places have different sets of rules to keep it legal.

You have to add the first ingredients yourself, then the store keeps it at the right temps, transfers them when time, filter it. Then you must come in and bottle it yourself. This keeps it legal for as you having "made" it. Quebec was having a lot of trouble with the SAQ and legal gibberish, they kept losing but keep on trying. I don't think it cuts into their booze sales.

Your friend probably went to Hawkesbury (there are a couple) when Quebec kept having so many problems. But I believe there is one on Sources right near you, one in Pointe Claire, then Vaudreuil, and one not far from me.
And those are the only ones I personally know of.

That close? I'll have to check into that. IIRC, my friend said that she had to start the wine, but she could bring home an equivalent amount that someone else had started, right away. That was part of why it was a co-op.

That's weird taxy. How can that work? Unless he always has certain types always on the go. But that's a lot of inventory to keep rotating on the 'chance' that someone may come in for some.

What if no one has started a Chardonnay or Pinot before her? Surely not everyone has the same type started everytime she goes in.

Back
Top Bottom