$200 Japanese chef knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrut

Assistant Cook
If you only had around $200 to spend on a Japanese chef's knife, what brand would you choose? I've been looking at these lately and would really like to jump into these waters but there are so many choices and steel types that it is very hard to choose.

Watched youtube videos ad nauseum and each has a different opinion. Would like to hear from some cooks that actually use them.

Thanks,
Rut

Im not familiar with Japanese knives, but any time I get a knife I have to use it, feel it in my hand ...

I've used some really expensive knives that just didnt feel right in my hand, and I've tried some cheapies that felt like they were custom made for me.

So sure, good quality is important and should be considered when purchasing a knife, but I think hands - on is equally as important.

Im sure someone with more knowledge of Japanese Knives will chime in with more info for you to help you make your decision.

I'm staying out of this one as my favorite seems to be unpopular around here. I find that people either love it, or hate it. Ok, I like Chroma type 301, Porsche knives. They just work in my hands, and hold an edge quite well. I have a son who cooks professionally that has every one of the brand. He won't use any other knife. My other son thinks that they are a gimmick, and hates them. My daughters aren't picky. They just want the knifes sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Chroma-Designed-Porsche-Knife-P01/dp/B0000CNWJ0

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's kind of a tough one! There are lots of things to consider with a gyuto. First is do you want a Wa-handle or a Westerner style handle? I have both but Wa-type are lighter which I usually prefer. Steel is important but not the biggest factor IMO. Even the lower end knives in that price range will use good steel. My preference is for a thinner blade with a flatter edge profile. Something like the Konosuke GS 240mm is about $20 more than your price point and IMO is worth the few extra bucks. If you like a Western style gyuto then it's hard to beat the Kagayaki CarboNext.

If you only had around $200 to spend on a Japanese chef's knife, what brand would you choose? I've been looking at these lately and would really like to jump into these waters but there are so many choices and steel types that it is very hard to choose.

Watched youtube videos ad nauseum and each has a different opinion. Would like to hear from some cooks that actually use them.

Thanks,
Rut
Check out the Misono and Masamoto brands. They are classic brands in Japan and are available in your price range or at least near it. In culinary school I used a Glestain gyuto which has a dimpled blade. I have owned all three brands in 240mm size and can vouch for them. These are stainless steel knives rather than the White and Blue steel knives used in traditional Japanese kitchens. I have taken to the carbon steel blades in recent years. They aren't pretty since they form a patina but they outperform the stainless blades.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom