79% off Kamikoto Knife set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
An ad for this sale appeared in the sidebar of DC, but in this day of targeted advertising, I didn’t know if any of you have seen it.

Using the code 79OFF, you can get a $1,250 beautiful slicing knife set (three knives) for $252 dollars! I can’t afgord it right now (or in the near future, most likely), but if any of you were in the market for knives, or b’day presents, I thought you might like to take a look! Here’s the link:

79% off Japanese slicing knife set

these are available on Amazon and eBay, etc.
you might want to look at the non-glowing reviews.

these are available on Amazon and eBay, etc.
you might want to look at the non-glowing reviews.
I looked at the reviews on Amazon. Out of 69 reviews, only two were negative, the rest were 5 star. Of the two negative reviews, only one was by a person who had actually used the knives, and the main complaint seemed to be that they were “too heavy” and “poorly balanced.” Both of these atibutes are subjective; what may be “heavy” for one cook just might be the perfect weight for another. Same with “balance.” The other negative reviewer had never even used the knives, but seemed concerned that they are manufactured in China rather than Japan from “Niigata steel.” He (or she) contends that Niigata is just the name of a Japanese city. Turns out there IS a company in Niigata that makes fine carbon steel. The knives are indeed manufactured in China, but that doesn’t speak poorly of their quality; Chinese knife manufacturers are just as proficient at their art as the Japanese (perhaps even more so, as they’ve been doing it a few centuries longer).

Here’s a link to a comprehensive review of two of Kamikoto’s knife sets and a review of their santoku knife. The review basically says that they’re overpriced but regularly go on deep discount sales, in which case they are well worth the price. Their utility and the quality of the steel really had no negative review, although they call one of the knives a bit heavy for someone who does “hours of prep work.”

Last edited:
Kamikoto knives look a lot like Gevril Swiss Watches. Very high MSRP, but you can find them for 20-cents on the dollar all over the place.

Gevril watches are good watches, and it appears that Kamikoto knives are good knives. But, if you can buy a "$1,250" knife set for $252, then the real value of the knives is $252, not $1,250. You are not getting a "deal" at $252, you are getting the knives for what they are really worth on the market.

CD

That is nice, but if they aren't comfortable in your hands, you just wasted you money, no matter the price.;)

Kamikoto knives look a lot like Gevril Swiss Watches. Very high MSRP, but you can find them for 20-cents on the dollar all over the place.

Gevril watches are good watches, and it appears that Kamikoto knives are good knives. But, if you can buy a "$1,250" knife set for $252, then the real value of the knives is $252, not $1,250. You are not getting a "deal" at $252, you are getting the knives for what they are really worth on the market.

CD

This is how I read it too. It's just marketing 101... publish a high price which has very little to do with reality, then advertise and sell at a huge "markdown" so that buyers can feel good about the great "deal". Then too, most knife sets are like a set of cookware, you use one or two of them and the rest just look pretty in the knife block. I will gladly pay a bit more to be able to try before I buy, and then buy only the individual knives I actually need.

At the moment, I have all of the knives I'll ever need for the rest of my knife, because I bought quality knives that fit my style and needs. Then I inherited several less expensive Chicago Cutlery when my mother passed, and they happened to be styled and balanced exactly like my Wusthof Classics, so I'm good to go.

But, if you need some knives, and a set comes with exactly what you need, and if they happen to fit you, then go for it.

One other word of caution... a deal like this can turn out to be counterfeit too. Chinese made products are often pirated and copied with cheaper materials. It's a notorious practice in the golf club industry ever since most of the large club manufacturers started having their clubheads made in China. A worker will steal a mold and sell it to black marketer, who then makes identical looking clubheads from cheap materials. Once assembled on a shaft, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference until you find that they are not as nicely weighted and balanced and do not perform like the genuine product. It would be too easy to do the same with a knife. People have bought counterfeit Transcend and Kingston memory cards from Amazon before... even Amazon isn't always able to know what their secondary dealers are selling until the complaints start popping up.

Last edited:
very few reliable companies sell stuff at 20% of their MSRP.
Amazon and others have a serious problem with their reviews - there is an entire industry of faking reviews. many high ratings with only a few low ratings is a sure tip off - either it's a stellar product or it's fake reviews.

when a reviewer compares them to "high end knives like Cutco" you should be suspicious.

here's one example -

https://www.fakespot.com/product/kamikoto-kanpeki-knife-set

very few reliable companies sell stuff at 20% of their MSRP.
Amazon and others have a serious problem with their reviews - there is an entire industry of faking reviews. many high ratings with only a few low ratings is a sure tip off - either it's a stellar product or it's fake reviews.

when a reviewer compares them to "high end knives like Cutco" you should be suspicious.

here's one example -

https://www.fakespot.com/product/kamikoto-kanpeki-knife-set

LOL... Cutco... :ROFLMAO:

I like to cook and never had good knifes until i got these

Translation: this reviewer had never used a quality knife with which to compare them.

They are very sharp,safe and handel real good

Yeah.... they "handel real good". That sort of erudite review is certainly going to convince me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom