8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?

• 8" model

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 10" model

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A lot of the things I cut up with a gyuto (or chef's knife) are large enough that an 8" won't go thru them. Things like squash, heads of cabbage, melons etc are usually a bit too big to cut without sawing or repositioning the product. This is especially true when I'm cutting meat or carving. If you're cutting a rib roast or ribeye steaks (especially if you're using "Ups") then you can't get thru them with one stroke, meaning you have to "saw." This takes more work & time plus leaves marks on the meat. Also things like sheet cakes are too wide to span with an 8" but a 10" will cut them cleanly.

Again, I've already admitted mine is a bias based on cooking professionally. At home it's not a big deal if it takes twice as long to process canteloupe or your rib roast slices have some saw marks. Still I'm used to what I'm used to.:ROFLMAO:
I have both, and I use the 10 inch far more than any other knife in the block.

When cutting through a honeydew or a personal watermelon, usually I use two hands, one on each end of the blade, and a fair amount of pressure. The 8 inch puts my hand too near the sharp point for comfort. Also makes cutting a boneless rib or strip much easier.

I'm a big fan of the ten inch chef's knife, probably because it's the first chef's knife that I used (and it's a dandy). Because of the handle shape on my knife, it gives me fine control for delicate work, but will still cut through a large watermelon, or standing rib roast. The key to using your knife successfully depends on your working space, using a proper cutting board that's large enough to handle the food you're working with, and keeping your knife sharp from heel to tip. After that, make sure the handle is comfortable for you, and that there is sufficient clearance between the handle and the cutting board so that you aren't rapping your knuckles with each slice.

Also, learn to hold the knife with a proper pinch grip so that you can control rolling from side to side as you apply pressure with the heel of your hand. Also learn the difference between slicing and chopping. And their are techniques that will allow you to quickly chop foods with your chef's knife, like holding the tip of the knife on the board while lifting the heel high enough to move it across the sliced food before driving it downward through the food, moving it slightly to either side while lifting and chopping down again, until the food is minced, or diced, or whatever.
Watch what the pros do and copy. Or, find a friend who is very good with a knife and have him/her show you a few things.

When you learn to really use your knife, it will become your best friend in the kitchen.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I answered 8", without reading your post, and only then read that you are 6'2", go with 10" for sure. You will be much happier. As far as budget I answered in the other thread you probably can almost get both 8 and 10 for $50 if you go with Dexter.

A 10" knife would be my choice. I hardly ever use my 8" knife now - but I use a 12" frequently for slaw, melons, etc. etc. My 12" chef's knife, incidentally, is a Victorinox, even though my 10" (and my old 8") are Sabs. I like the handling qualities of the French style chef knife. I moved to a 10" Victorinox from my 8" Sab, but then replaced it with a 10" Sab later. I just find a 10" blade more useful.

You mentioned that you'd be doing some family style recreational cooking. If you have to carve turkeys, roasts and the like, you'd be very much handicapped with an 8" blade unless you had a 10" slicer. Even a big chunk of salmon is tough to negotiate with an 8" blade.

The only downside to a 10" chef's knife is you will need a slightly larger cutting board - but you should have one at least 18" long regardless.

Thanks for all the input...it is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to go this afternoon (if the snow holds off) to a local place that carries knives (not a cooking specialty store but has some of the brands I'm considering) to get a feel for what might work best for me.

Again, thanks for your guidance.

TripleB

I think when you first pick up a 10" knife you'll be a little bit put off by it's size if you're not used to it. At least I was... but once you get used to it you'll love it. Especially with you getting a paring knife, too.
Have fun shopping!

I went to a local 'home' store tonight. They had an 8" model but unfortunately they didn't have a 10" chef's knife. To tell you the truth, it didn't seem as large as I thought it was going to. After seeing and holding it, if it were just for me, I'd get the 10". I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference or not but hold the 8" my largest knuckle (I have big knuckles) went below the blade. But my wife will probably use the knife as well so that makes me think I might should go with the 8"

I guess the votes are like my thinking...no clear winner (currently 5 to 5).

TripleB

I went to a local 'home' store tonight. They had an 8" model but unfortunately they didn't have a 10" chef's knife. To tell you the truth, it didn't seem as large as I thought it was going to. After seeing and holding it, if it were just for me, I'd get the 10". I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference or not but hold the 8" my largest knuckle (I have big knuckles) went below the blade. But my wife will probably use the knife as well so that makes me think I might should go with the 8"

I guess the votes are like my thinking...no clear winner (currently 5 to 5).

TripleB

I think the business with your knuckle going below the blade will get more and more annoying as you use the knife for chopping. I know it would drive me bonkers.

TripleB, do you grip like this?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 296
I was making breakfast this morning and needed to cut a lemon. I have been using my new Hattori for everything but this morning I just grabbed my 8" Henckle. It felt very small in my hand. As much as I used this knife in the past I have not only gotten used to the longer, wider knife quickly I have overcome the size of the old knife as well.

Unless there is a physical reason to not go with the larger one I would think it might be the better option.

It really comes down to your comfort level. The one that fits your hand is best. My wife prefres 8 inch. I like a 10 or 12 inch depending upon the handle.

I have two ceramic knives I bought as a set. A paring knife and a 10 inch. I love the 10 inch and will not use the paring knive. The handle puts my fingers to close to a sharp edge. My wife loves that one. and does not like my 10 inch.

The best knife depends upon how you hold it and how you will use it.

I personally feel much more comfortable with an 8-inch chef's knife due to the way that it feels in my hand and the type of chopping that I use it for.

As you said before, 8-inch knives will give you much more control, unless you are using your knife to cut very large items, such as melons. But for the typical chef, I'd say an 8-inch can definitely do the job, and perhaps more competently than a 10-inch. I'd definitely go to the store and test a couple different types to see what you like!

Hope this helps! :D

I think it really depends on a few things... the size of your hand, the size of cutting boards you have in your home and what you are comfortable with..oh and the knife itself.

I used cheaper 8 inch blades for many years..mostly Chicago cutlery and always felt that they where to small but when I picked up my Shun 8 inch, the whole things feels and looks much larger..and is much larger then rest of my knives. My main board is the perfect size for an 8 inch knife, if I stepped up to a ten inch, id have to invest in a new cutting board as well.
and lastly, im a smaller guy, my hands are not giant so a 10 inch blade is just awkward for me. However my 8 inch just feels right, I have good control and it's over all comfortable..the best knife is the knife that just feels right

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom