Beginner's Knife Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabgourmet

Assistant Cook
Hi there everyone, I'm very new to DC so please excuse this post if it's a duplicate.

What would you recommend for a good beginner's knife set? I'd be looking to spend around $40-60 but am not very experienced when it comes to brand names or what to look for. Thanks!

First of all, don't buy a set. You only need about two or three knives to get the job done. Go to a knife shop or kitchen store and handle knives. Get the feel and decide which is most comfortable in your hand.

Read earlier posts in this forum (knives) for some great low cost suggestions.

Andy’s right, you don’t need a whole set to start with. Heck, I’ve got a full set, and I only use one knife from it regularly which is the Chef’s Knife.

The paring knife get’s it’s fair share of use.

So, to start I’d suggest buying a good Chef’s Knife and perhaps a paring knife. Also, get some steel (a steel rod that you use to hone, not sharpen, your blade).

Also valuable to begin with is a good set of kitchen shears and a utility knife. The shears should be fairly heavy as you will want to cut through small bones for things like butterflying a whole chicken. Separating whole chicken wings is also easily done with sheers.

Personally, I have an inexpensive Ginsu type knife (got it from some guy doing a demo at Sam's) that I use for tough utility type jobs like cutting milk jugs, chicken backs, frozen food, etc.

Of course, you’ll be faced with where to store them, so you’ll want to consider a block. Also, a set of steak knives are a must.

Chicago Cutlery is a fairly inexpensive brand with good quality, just make sure you don’t by the lowest end of knives they offer. Look for full tang blades and thick steel in the handles.

If you really want to get a set to start with, this is a good starter set, although you’ll need a new block if/when you decide to by a carving knife and a bread knife.

Some sets come with a boning knife, but to be honest, I prefer a good filet knife. You can get a good one at a decent price from a sporting goods store or Target, Wal-Mart, etc. My “specialty” knives (Ginsu, filet, etc) that aren’t so “pretty” I keep in a utility drawer. They may be inexpensive, but I couldn’t live without them. When you bone 3 – 4 chickens at a time, you quickly find out that a true “boning” knife isn’t as easy to work with as a good, razor sharp filet knife.....IMO.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is a 'Beginners' knife set, or a beginners knife for that matter.

As others have said, go to a store and see which one feels comfortable. An 8" chef and a 3 1/2" paring is enough to get you started. Don't buy too cheap of a knife. Look for forged blades. Theres no reason to buy a cheap knife unless it's going in your tool box. A $50 forged chef should last you 10+ years if taken care of.

This is, by far, the best price I have ever seen on a FORGED KNIFE SET.

I bought the Gunter Wilhelm top of the line set, minus the steak knives, last November and I am extremely happy with them. Extremely well balanced, they hold their edge very well, and they are very well made. However, I did not pay near as much as they are currently advertised for. The price seems to be going up every two or three months.

If I was a beginner, and needed some respectable knives, I would jump at this offer!

Caine said:
This is, by far, the best price I have ever seen on a FORGED KNIFE SET.

I bought the Gunter Wilhelm top of the line set, minus the steak knives, last November and I am extremely happy with them. Extremely well balanced, they hold their edge very well, and they are very well made. However, I did not pay near as much as they are currently advertised for. The price seems to be going up every two or three months.

If I was a beginner, and needed some respectable knives, I would jump at this offer!

WOW! $35.00?!?!? I'm tempted to buy that just to get my hands on those sheers! LOL.:LOL:

keltin said:
WOW! $35.00?!?!? I'm tempted to buy that just to get my hands on those sheers! LOL.:LOL:

I am pretty sure these kinves were made in China, but then, so was Kwai Chang Caine!

Besides, I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan was the mark of cheap junk!

Wow, I must say the forged set for $ 35 is tempting... but as Caine suggested, they were probably forged by a nine year old kid.

According to Cook's Illustrated, the best performing 8" knife they tested is the Forschner Victorinox ($ 35), they also recommend the Wusthof gourmet cook knife ($ 50) and MAC chef knife ($ 48).

You always need a really good knife in your kitchen, you never know when your mother in law will show up unannounced LOL

Ron W. said:

Now that is a gorgeous set of knives. The only thing I don’t like is the Chef’s knife is too pointed and doesn’t have as much of a rounded blade at the tip like mine (and many other styles) do. I like a more rounded tip as it facilitates a rock-and-chop type movement for herbs, veggies, etc. Not saying you can’t do that with a more pointed blade like this, but I prefer more of a curve. Still, very good looking set!

Back
Top Bottom