Best 7" Santoku Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please do not tell me that Igor was the theme ingredient!:ohmy:

Though I agree with GB, I completely understand you. You sound like many of my friends and shoes!:LOL:

IU have usesd heavy knives in the past, and for many years thought that they were the way to go. Then I recieved my ten-inch chef's knife with a straight grind from the spine to the belly. I use it for nearly everything. It is a Japanese knife with 410 croma steel. It holds its edge extremely well, but then so does a Global, along with many others.

The beauty of the knife is that it is light weight, and very strong/hard. This allows me to slice through everything from bacon slices to the tuffest squash, rutabeggas, and everything in between. The slicing action of the Chef's knife is superior to that of a santoku, which is better suited to chopping with an up & down motion. Also, the belly creates a longer slicing edge relative to the knife length, again enhancing the slicing operation.

And because the knife is lightweight, it allows me to prep for long periods without fatigue. And by regularly honing the blade edge, I rarely have to sharpen it (twice in two years, and then only light sharpening). I use the knife daily on all types of food, and on a hard-rock maple cutting board.

My knife is a Croma, 10 inch chef's knife. I purchased a Croma 8-inch santoku for my son (a professional cook) and he loves it. Look it up on google. It's a unique look, and very easy to clean and maintain. For funtionality, I wouldn't trade it for any other.

But each person likes something different in a knife, and that's jsut fine. All I'm saying, is test drive as many knives as you can.

If you're looking for interesting knives, check out the Boker site. You might also look into the fantasy knives available. There are some stunning knnives that might better be called artwork.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom