Bought First Electric Knife Last Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psiguyy

Sous Chef
...and used my "manual" knife to carve the turkey this past Thursday.

Why did I buy it? It was on sale at a price I couldn't pass up. I always wondered if an electric knife would be easier to use to carve a turkey. Now that I had one, all I could think of was how humbug it would be to deal with the cord and it wouldn't be as maneuverable as a knife.

Maybe I'll buy a roast, slice thin, and make a french dip. The electric knife should work well for that task, but I wouldn't be surprised if I reached for my carving knife.

Anybody regularly use electric knives to carve their turkeys, hams, roasts, etc?

I only ever use mine to slice bread so it will fit in the toaster. I am too ham handed otherwise!

Ever see Alton Brown wield an electric knife? He's like a Jedi with a light saber. I'm gonna get one too I think. I recently saw them on sale for like $12 at my local grocery store.

Electric knives that is. The light sabers were a bit more pricey.

RJ

Ardge said:
Ever see Alton Brown wield an electric knife? He's like a Jedi with a light saber. I'm gonna get one too I think. I recently saw them on sale for like $12 at my local grocery store.

Electric knives that is. The light sabers were a bit more pricey.

RJ

You do crack me up, RJ!!!!!

Psiguyy, I look forward to your report on this one. I've never had one, but my parents continue to use theirs religiously. And Dad could filet a bass in about 20 seconds flat, including removing the skin using his electric knife. I assume the blades are still two-part and reciprocate against each other??

When I got married we registered for one. I have yet to use it. I am not even sure where it is in the house LOL.

Audeo, yeah ours is just like you described, two blades that reciprocate against each other.

Audeo, yes, there are two blades that reciprocate against each other.

I bought a well rated (Epinons.com) Black & Decker. Only cost me $11 at Ace Hardware. Like I said, it was a price I couldn't resist.

BTW, it took me a few years to be comfortable with using Black & Decker products in my kitchen. I grew up thinking Black & Decker made power tools and eating stuff made with something a power tool manufacturer made just didn't sit well with me. I know GE sold their small appliance division to B&D. Funny thing is, I see small GE appliances again.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I do look forward to your opinion on carving, Psiguyy. And maybe yours, too, GB...if it reappears! I'd be hard-pressed to pass up that deal either. Nice bargain and, as I said, I can vouch for its fileting ability!

Welllll...

I made a simple cross rib roast in my crock pot today and suffered through the day with anxious anticipation of finally using my new electric knife.

I think I need more practice. I had a hard time cutting thin even slices. The blade of the Black & Decker is a bit too flexible, I think. 1/4" slices were easy to do, but when I tried to cut them 1/8" thick, I ran into trouble. The blade would twist out before it reached the bottom. I would end up with half a slice instead of a nice big thin one. Needless to say, the french dip plan was put on the back burner.

I know I can do better with one of my big knives.

I must say, though, that I could probably cut 1/4" slices all night long if I wanted to.

Need to think of other things to cut. Might use it to precut a pound cake I'm planning to bake for T'giving.

BTW, the roast came out nice and tasty. Used a tablespoon of Beef Base dissolved in a cup of hot water, then added a tsp of rosemary and one of thyme and sprinkled with a lot of black pepper.

The aujus was very good. I'm going to let the other half of the roast refrigerate overhight and try slicing it thin while it's cold. Might have better luck. Gotta give the french dip another go.

Psiguyy - I'm sure that learning how to use an electric knife is like learning to use any other knife ... practice makes perfect. If the blade is bending ... you're probably trying to go to fast. Same thing with a jig-saw blade ... if you try to force it though the wood it bends ... if you let it go at it's own speed it works fine.

Oh - if Black and Decker in the kitchen makes you queezy because it conjures up images of power tools your Dad used to work on wood in the garage... close your eyes when you walk past the floor-stand band saw in a modern butcher shop.

I got one last year - I tried to use and ended up using my regular carving knife :oops: - I just think it's cheating or something!!!!!

Psiguyy said:
I think I'm gonna use it to slice up some Spam for lunch.

:shock:

Quarter-inch limitation. Sounds about right. Together, those blades must be rather "thick" and dad's tends to "wiggle" a bit. But it's a godsend to mom with arthritis in making short work of cutting breads, cakes and anything else.

Kinda fun to play with an inexpensive new gadget from time to time!

Yup. Until you mention that S word... :shock:

OK. I carved up the refrigerated second half of the roast and it was much easier to get consistent slices. Sadly, 1/8" slices are not feasible. 1/4" is easy and I can get them a bit thinner with practice.

BTW, don't cut on a plate. Makes a racket when the blades hit the porcelain. I often cut on a plate using a pointed knife so only the point touches the plate. Can't do that with the electric knife.

Just an update. I finally mastered the art of slicing thin with the contraption. More or less 1/8" slices are getting easier to do. In fact, it's kind of fun.

Can't wait to roast a ham.

kitchenelf said:
good for you!!!! Now just figure out how to post an instructional video so we all can watch it!!!

If I could, should I include all the blood that squirted out of my fingers?

I have an old one that I use for cutting up cardboard for recycling, works great. And I have a new one - besides slicing meat and bread, it works great on cutting the rind off pineapple.

Good Luck!

Been using one for 20 years plus, and find I can slice my meats very finely indeed...

Likewise, comments on "practise" and "familiarity" are probably "spot on" as usual, as Iwould be "challenged" to do as well with a carving knife...

There are "good" electric knives and ones you'd rather not have...

But a "mediocre" one can do better on a "challenging" piece of meat than would a likewise "mediocre" manual blade...

Its what you get used to...

Lifter

electric knives....use my Mother-in-laws....but have started taking my knives over....hate the electric ones....I think it boils down to what you like the most....plus old dog...new tricks...not me!!!!!Pst :D

Another update.

I finally used it to carve a turkey. I'm pleasantly surprised. I carved the whole turkey in about 7 minutes. I'm sure I could get it down to less than 5 with practice.

The dark meat from the legs came off quite easily. The breast, however, is where the knife really shined. Perfect slices fell off the turkey with no effort.

Next... Baked ham.

Back
Top Bottom