Can someone help me find a cheap good knife set, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Doherty

Assistant Cook
as the title says really, say my budget will be £50-£60 for a good set no single knives tho please, thanks all who reply in advance :)
7:chef:

Go to Costco, Walmart, or a kitchen or restaurant supply store. I have a set of Chicago Cutlery we got as a wedding present, they're perfectly adequate.

The Knife forum here has some great information. Good luck!

Last edited:
Just buy a set that looks well made and keep them sharp! Buy a sharpener to go with the set and use it often, even inexpensive knives can be adequate if kept sharp.

Mark, if you read through the threads in the knife forum, you will see consistent advice to not buy a set. You can cover just about all your cutlery needs with an 8" to 10" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife and a bread knife. Use the money you would spend on a set to buy these three knives.

Mark, if you read through the threads in the knife forum, you will see consistent advice to not buy a set. You can cover just about all your cutlery needs with an 8" to 10" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife and a bread knife. Use the money you would spend on a set to buy these three knives.

Exactly.

There are also about a million and six other threads related to knives as pieces, and their individual utilizations, strengths, and weaknesses. Just use the search feature, and I am sure you will find some great reads.

Just buy a set that looks well made and keep them sharp! Buy a sharpener to go with the set and use it often, even inexpensive knives can be adequate if kept sharp.

A steel is for honing, sharpening is a whole other skill set. The home cook hones knives, realigns the burr, realigning the edge. Sharpening is to mill a edge. Seems nit picky, it's just a culinary peeve, sorry for my ocd:(

as seen on t.v. SHOWTIME knife set, from the same company that makes (set it and forget it) i bought 2 sets 1 as a gift and i love them i think i paid 29.00 usd about 6yrs ago for 21 pc set the storage block was extra but worth it you may also want to pick up as seen on t.v. Samurai pro knife sharpener i paid 14.00 usd at a local store however the knife set is extremely well built to last and they also look good.

A steel is for honing, sharpening is a whole other skill set. The home cook hones knives, realigns the burr, realigning the edge. Sharpening is to mill a edge. Seems nit picky, it's just a culinary peeve, sorry for my ocd:(

Well, I guess it comes down to, do you want that scalpel honed or sharpened???:angel:

Well, I guess it comes down to, do you want that scalpel honed or sharpened???:angel:

For a scalpel, I wouldn't worry, I would just open the surgical pack and go for it. . . so long as it isn't dull, if so, gonna need another shot of whiskey, and a thicker leather strap to bite on.

Last edited:
I got by with ONE knife for decades - a Dexter-Russell Chinese cleaver.

Not for chopping carcasses apart, but great for everything else.

Inexpensive and very good

I don't know if you can order from WalMart where you are, but I bought a set of these knives from them and I can't find much fault with them at all. They are forged, well balanced, well-made and they take and hold an edge as good as much more expensive stainless steel blades I have. Paula Deen Cutlery 3-Piece Chef Kitchen Knife Set - Walmart.com

p.s. to knife aficionados- don't laugh until you've tried them. At $17 for the set they are a great deal, imo. Heck, at $200 for the set they would be a good deal.

+1

Hardly any home cook needs more than these basic knives.

And with knives it's always better to buy quality rather than cheap.

No such thing!!!!!! I would rather have one good knive then a whole set of cheep knives.

Last edited:
OK, if you want a set and you want cheap but usable it can be found. I was cruising one of my regular thrift stores a while back, and came across a three knife set that had sold at Target for about $40 US. Designed by somebody named Michael Graves, if it matters, made in Taiwan, but good quality steel, nice blade design, very grippable rubber handles. Eight inch chef, heavy like German knives of ten years ago, very nice five inch utility/boner, and a very agile little three inch drop-point parer. Unused, in the package, for $10 US. They would have been worth the $40 from Target, but I never go there. I added a four dollar Schnittfix serrated bread knife with a detachable cutting guide for good, uniform, German slicing and use them when I cook at the homeless shelter. If somebody does something evil to one of them, I may catch my breath for a moment, but I won't cry over it.

Last edited:
Victoronix chef knife is around $28 in a restaurant supply store. MANY restaurants use them. I have one and it's great.

There is no such thing as a good cheap knife set. Either it's good, or it's cheap.

That said, the best quality knife set you will get for a reasonable price is a Sabatier set. Even if they were made in China, Sabatier is very concientious about their name so they are good quality knives. Just be sure you get forged blades, not stamped. Use your steel before each use, and get a sharpener or ask your local butcher if s/he will sharpen them for you every 4 to 6 months, depending on frequency of use. Most butchers are more than happy to sharpen the knives of good customers, either free fer nuthin or at a nominal price.

As a reference, HERE is a set of Sabatier Knives with French made BLADES (this doesn't neccessarily mean they weren't finished/assembled in China) in your price range and available at Amazon.UK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom