Ceramic knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the 5.5 santuko.

I really like it, but I didn't shell out the bucks myself ... it was a gift (certificate).

Ceramic knives are very sharp but very brittle and they can break pretty easily if you drop them or accidentally try to cut something hard (like a chicken bone). And even if you don't use it on something hard. I had a friend whose broke cutting an onion. And that's the problem. Pretty much no place will take them back, even if the damage is not your fault.

Mine is not as sharp as I had imagined it would be, but it still is quite sharp. And very light. If you prefer a heavier knife you might not like it.

As with any knife, try it before you buy it. Especiallyif you are going to pay top dollar for a knife, you need to make sure it fells good in your hand.

I recieved a ceramic knife for a gift a couple christmas' ago. I'm not that thirlled about it and come to think of it, I don't even know where it is. Like jennyema said, it's not as sharp as I thought and aparantly you can't sharpen it unless you send it away to get it done. Personally I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm spoiled as far as sharp knives go. My dh does woodworking and has lots of chisels to sharpen so he invested in an electric sharpening wheel, so my knives stay super sharp!

Like jennyema said, go try it out before you buy it. Those black blades sure are pretty.

Ming Tsai (sp?) used to use ceramic knives all of the time. In fact, I think he sold them on his web site. He swore by them, but i am sticking with my Wusthof knives. As I recall, you do have to send them somewhere for sharpening.

HUGE fan of ceramic knives!

I have two and look forward to future purchases. The two I have are very very sharp (my other knives are henkels) and have remained that way for a couple of years now. Yes, you do send them out to get sharpened but for $5 to sharpen three knives (that is to cover the shipping-no cost to sharpen), in my opinion, it is worth it. After a couple of years I still have no need to do that.

I hear they are "delicate" but they both have faired well in my kitchen without breaking. I hand wash them but I hand wash ALL my knives. Since working in my kitchen with the knives, my mother, mother-in-law and good friend have all purchased one.

They are super duper light, which is something I like. If you like a heavy knife you will probably not like a ceramic knive.

I bought myself a Chinese made 6-inch ceramic chef's knife with a Target gift card one of my clients gave me last Christmas. I use it strictly for vegetables, especially lettuce because a metal knife will make llettuce turn brown. I doubt if I'll ever have to sharpen it in my lifetime, which I plan on being at least another 30 years (I'll do it better in my next 30 years).

Last edited:
I bought a Kyocera 6" chef's knife a while ago. It is as sharp as my metal knives are right after I sharpen them. It is light and easy to use. I'm glad I have it but am not as enthusiastic as others.

Back
Top Bottom