Christmas Knife - need suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone!

So Christmas and my birthday (the day after) are coming up soon, and my parents are wondering what to get me

I figure I should ask for a really good knife.

For about a year, ive been using a four-star henckels 8" chef's knife, and its good, but it's not great... I kinda want something special/unique and something that will last me a long time.

I guess I'm torn between Shun and Global... the 7" vegetable knife from Global looked really nice and I dont really know where to go with Shun. Any suggestions?

Happy Holidays!

If you're just considering Shun and Global only, I'd go with the Shun.

However, might I suggest looking into ceramic knives? Once you go with one, you're never gonna wanna go back.

I try to ignore my upbringing but there are just somethings that are too well ingrained!! It applies to blades of any sort on the basis that a gift of a blade will sever the relationship without the exchange of money to preclude this happening.

For me it goes in the same bag as knocking on wood, putting a coin in a purse (as a present) or saying "wish you well to wear it" when giving clothes. I do however own two black cats!!!

Actually, Nathan, I got them from you, just didn't make a big deal about it.

I'd ask for a Shun. A Hattori HD would be nice if they could find one. Shuns are about my favorite commercially available knives. Their Classic line is great, but if they're willing to spend $200 you could get an Elite. That's about as good as a home cook would ever need, IMO.

For German, traditional type knives I'm a fan of Messermeister. Their Meridian Elite line is superb. Wustof & Henckles make some good knives, too, but they have so many lines that you really have to shop carefully to be sure you get the one you want.

I advise making sure to get a bolsterless knife. Shuns, Messermeisters, most Globals, the Wustof LCB's, and virtually all Japanese knives are made without bolsters. Henckels makes some bolsterless knives, like my 7" santoku.

Anybody know where the superstition about not giving a knife as a gift comes from? I heard it when I tried to give my Teacher who is Russian a gift, but don't know if it's from Russia originally. He said 'if you give someone a knife as a gift, it means you're going to stab them in the back eventually.' So, he gave me a dollar. Maybe it comes from ancient Rome, and there's some reference to Brutus stabbing Ceasar in the back with it?

As for me, I sell knives for a living, so I can't afford to believe it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom