Cutting chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
found it .... its called strokes for new folks video at you tube. he talks about push and pull cuts. also on you tube a guy named eamon burke,his video is called basic cutting motion ......sharp stuff mobile.

Last edited:
Just thought i give you an update.... went to a class yesterday for knife skills and the instructor was very pleased with what i knew. He asked me where i got my tech. at and i told him at Strokes for new folks video by salty dog. He said this is a very good video for people...and he commented on the different ingredients like soft veg. need the pull cut and harder need the push cut,this is what a lot of people dont think about when cutting veg..And also said bec. I asked him..... if dont know of cuts lke push or pull people right away think it is made up or whatever bec. they were not taught this. Just wanted to share.

Just thought i give you an update.... went to a class yesterday for knife skills and the instructor was very pleased with what i knew. He asked me where i got my tech. at and i told him at Strokes for new folks video by salty dog. He said this is a very good video for people...and he commented on the different ingredients like soft veg. need the pull cut and harder need the push cut,this is what a lot of people dont think about when cutting veg..And also said bec. I asked him..... if dont know of cuts lke push or pull people right away think it is made up or whatever bec. they were not taught this. Just wanted to share.

I learned to use a knife by watching others use a knife. And also by using a knife. Its amusing and a bit concerning it is this difficult for you.
I say this with all due respect.

I had sign up for this class awhile back. I was just so happy i got such a wonderful comment from the instructor and how he was impressed with the video i showed him. (he might use in his class down the road). just had to tell u guys. Not a problem for me just a lot of confusion on how every one has different ways of using a knife. To much reading and video:)

Last edited:

All I know is, that's not what they teach in culinary school,or any basic knife skills video or instructions I've ever seen. They teach the same cutting technique for all foods.

Good for you. Looking further so you can become a better cook. I went and looked at the Salty Dog video. Really tells you the "proper" way to use your knife. And he uses the food with the motion. You get to see not only the how but the why. :angel:

I learned to use a knife by watching others use a knife. And also by using a knife. Its amusing and a bit concerning it is this difficult for you.
I say this with all due respect.

When I learned to use a knife properly, there was no television. Or at least not for me. My husband who was a trained classical chef taught me. But to this day I still find a 12" chef's knife just too big for my small hands. I gave to my son a beautiful 12" Shun knife that I received as a gift from a friend. :angel:

I had sign up for this class awhile back. I was just so happy i got such a wonderful comment from the instructor and how he was impressed with the video i showed him. (he might use in his class down the road). just had to tell u guys. Not a problem for me just a lot of confusion on how every one has different ways of using a knife. To much reading and video:)

I believe that you are trying to make this more complicated than it actually is. I don't know what to call one knife stroke from another, but I do know that for anything but crisp veggies that i need to stroke the knife across what I'm cutting. It's actually a sliding and rocking motion, and it works with raw chicken breast just as well as it does with cucumber, with pre-cooked meat just as with a tomato.

I can slide the knife either away from or toward me to get the job done, but I usually push away for the cutting stroke. I do not consider it as "sawing" - I'm slicing food in a fairly precise manner, not hacking it up by sawing with a dull or serrated blade.

Every bit as important as the stroke is how you hold the knife and whether or not the knife fits comfortably in your hand. Most experienced cooks use the pinch method (but it isn't the only possible way), pinching the blade between the thumb and forefinger, with the other 3 fingers holding the blade steady and much of the power comes from pushing the handle with the heel of your hand.

holding_knife.jpg

Also, watch this short YouTube video: How to hold a chef's knife.

Can any one tell me if you are suppose to use your tip of knife for pull cuts aka as draw, or back heel of knife and pull back till tip comes through food .....( riding belly (PULLING BACK) of knife across item to tip. Example like for onion when dicing, the top you are suppose to make parallel cuts. Read both ways can do but dont say why use one over the other? Also for meat strips use tip of knife and also read pull cuts start at heal at 45 degrees and finish by lifting the handle which allows the tip to complete the cut and meet the board. Any thoughts on one over the other use.

yes i know its a simple task. But there are two ways that i read where you use the tip only on the knife(handle is angle up a little)for pull cut and also where you use the full bade the belly and pull back till tip comes to the end. I dont see where I am over complicating this at all. Just a simple question which is better. Use only the tip of knife to pull back or belly of knife and tip? Or better yet ,explain to me how you do the pull cut when doing dice onions (parallel cuts which i am told are pull cuts)and even when making strips of items.

Last edited:
"Pull cuts" aren't better, just an option. I rarely use pull cuts as the aren't as natural for me. Once you understand that cutting should be a slicing rather than a chopping motion, little else matters.

Do what's most comfortable for you. Knife skill videos are not what you MUST do. They just describe one way to do it.

REALLY KAYELLE, sorry if my questions upset you. First of all it is normal for people to ask questions when learning things. And also I do appr. all the help i get from people on this forum,reading and seeing things different ways and not knowing about the situation is very confusing. Better to ask people who know. Also thank you for posting your comment here instead of PM me. If you dont like my questions you know you could just ignore me.:)

REALLY KAYELLE, sorry if my questions upset you. First of all it is normal for people to ask questions when learning things. And also I do appr. all the help i get from people on this forum,reading and seeing things different ways and not knowing about the situation is very confusing. Better to ask people who know. Also thank you for posting your comment here instead of PM me. If you dont like my questions you know you could just ignore me.:)

HONESTLY, MUMU. Of course it's normal to ask questions when learning. We're happy to answer questions. It does get tiresome when, as I said before, several people give you the same answers to your questions and it's never enough.

Have you watched any of the videos people have suggested, or practiced cutting chicken? How's it going? What are you making? What do your parents think of your progress? You said last year you were twelve years old, right?

Lets just say i am cooking up a storm. And getting better each day. With so many different ways to do things it does get confusing. The answers i get do seem the same but it is the way some of you say things that does not help me thats is why i ask again thinking maybe the next person might help with what they say. I and my parents do get upset when i get answers like above and prior,and have to again explain myself (that is tiring to us).

Last edited:
Tiring to you? What about all the people who have responded countless times?

You could watch a million youtube videos and get a million of the same responses to your questions here, but nothing will help you more than getting in there with your knife, a chicken, doing it yourself, and seeing what works best for YOU. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lets just say i am cooking up a storm. And getting better each day. With so many different ways to do things it does get confusing. The answers i get do seem the same but it is the way some of you say things that does not help me thats is why i ask again thinking maybe the next person might help with what they say. I and my parents do get upset when i get answers like above and prior,and have to again explain myself (that is tiring to us).

Cooking up a storm? Great! Why don't you post in the dinner thread or some other thread that lets us know what you're up to? People do get tired of trying and trying to help someone who never seems to get it, keeps asking the same questions, doesn't express any appreciation (today is the first time) and doesn't participate on this site in any other way.

EXCUSE ME I HAVE POSTED BEFORE HOW I APPR. YOUR HELP. Maybe you should re read some of the things. You can quit any time with all this. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom