Cutting chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EXCUSE ME I HAVE POSTED BEFORE HOW I APPR. YOUR HELP. Maybe you should re read some of the things. You can quit any time with all this. :)

I really feel the need to point something out to you about this board. First typing in all capitals tells all of us that you are yelling. If you are trying to emphasize what you are saying, I would like to suggest you do it in bold or italics. Both are a much a more acceptable way of getting your point across.

If you feel that you are being criticized unfairly, you can always block that particular person. That way you won't see what they are saying about your questions. Just don't get curious when you see they posted something and undo them from your Ignore List.

Unfortunately I have to say that we do have some members here who feel that they are the owners or head honchos of this forum. Experts in every field. And if you feel that you are being treated unfairly by someone on a continuous manner, you can always report the problem to one of the Monitors or Moderators. I find them to be extremely fair and always look into any problems that are brought to their attention.

I get the feeling that you are a young person just learning to cook. If this is true, I would hate to have this forum lose a member who is developing a love of cooking and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. I realize that cooking can be daunting for someone who has just discovered that the food doesn't appear like magic on the dinner table. But sometimes the new cook just has to jump in and try real hard at getting it right. And that doesn't always happen on the first try. Not even the second or third time. Me, I still can't make a green bean salad like the one a person made for me many times more than 50 years ago. And heavens knows she tried to teach me.

I have been cooking since I was in the seventh grade. The schools taught home economics then. And here I am at 77 years of age and still can't get it right. But I keep trying. Every year when the fresh green beans show up at the farmers marker. Some years I end up eating it all myself because no one else likes it. But summer is coming and I will try again this year.

So grab a knife and pick up that chicken by the leg and start cutting. The chicken will show you where to cut. If you make a mistake, do it again on the other leg. You will find that it is in the cooking that your talent will show. No one will notice how you cut it, just how good it tastes after you cook it. That is where you should concentrate your newly gained knowledge. Good luck in your endeavor to become the best cook you can be. :angel:

...grab a knife and pick up that chicken by the leg and start cutting. The chicken will show you where to cut. If you make a mistake, do it again on the other leg...
Addie, my Mom had an expression, "Learn by doing". ~ mumu, no matter how many times you ask your question here, and no matter how many answers you get OR how many times you get the same answer, you won't really learn until you try. The ONLY thing that you must know and follow faithfully when working with a knife is to keep it away from your fingers. As long as the only "chicken fingers" on the platter at night are from the store-bought package, you've done good.

Addie, my Mom had an expression, "Learn by doing". ~ mumu, no matter how many times you ask your question here, and no matter how many answers you get OR how many times you get the same answer, you won't really learn until you try. The ONLY thing that you must know and follow faithfully when working with a knife is to keep it away from your fingers. As long as the only "chicken fingers" on the platter at night are from the store-bought package, you've done good.

So true CG. We all make mistakes. But as long as you are not serving contaminated good that will make everyone sick, just DO IT!" Sure, we all know food is expensive, but making a mistake and the food is still safe to cook and serve, then there is no money lost. Practice make perfect. Start practicing. :angel:

I am learning by doing. After all that is the only way you learn anything. I just want to say and I hope no one goes off on this i just want to clear something up. Every body thinks i am talking about chicken when i was asking about the technique of the pull cut, also gave an example of onion too. So why every one thinks chicken when clearly talking again about technique. Yes I am young (not that young maybe consider young teenager)and learning many cooking skills. We (myself and my parents) just get tired of me having to explain on and off how I appr. your help. There have been times people pm instead of putting what they think on the forum.:) I just wanted to let you all know. Again not trying to start another comment.

Last edited:
mumu, the title of your thread is "Cutting chicken". Even though you've mentioned other foods, "chicken" is what most of us think of when you're asking for advice. ~ You said you are in your teens. Keep in mind that most of us who post here have been actively cooking for far many more years than you have been alive. The terms that you use, such as "push" and "pull", are not terms that most of us have heard or used in all of our years of cooking. By this stage of our cooking we just cut food up. We don't worry about terms or technique because it's second nature to us. We just go through the motions.

Let's try it this way. YOU give us a written description of your movements that would make us see that action in our imagination. What I think you are asking is:
IF you have made the first cut through an onion by pushing the knife away from your body AND the onion is not cut all of the way through, are you supposed to take the knife out of the onion so that you can make your second cut by pushing the knife "away" again? OR can you "pull" the knife back toward your body to finish cutting the onion through? In this case, pulling back is the logical movement and it still would not be called "sawing".

...Unfortunately I have to say that we do have some members here who feel that they are the owners or head honchos of this forum. Experts in every field. And if you feel that you are being treated unfairly by someone on a continuous manner, you can always report the problem to one of the Monitors or Moderators. I find them to be extremely fair and always look into any problems that are brought to their attention...
Addie, it sounds like you're diminishing the learning levels, life experiences, and skills of many of our members. We DO have a lot of very knowledgeable people here at DC who try to give factual information and correct inaccuracies. It's just that sometimes others don't take well to correction.

Yes chicken was the title. But pull cut technique isnt just for chicken. Thanks again ......but I am done with this on going.:)

Last edited:
ok ...wasnt going to say anything else. But I am curious as to what technique you were taught that it is for everything. What was it called or can you describe it? Is it the slicing motion they say its actually rowing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom