Deja vu all over again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chico Buller

Washing Up
As you know, my recent visitor snaked my nakiri. Fortunately I have a spare which spent last evening in the freezer.

(Oh, I just called JWW and ordered a new 7-inch laminate gyuto and another bamboo cutting board--a tad wider--made by those same manufacturers. The gifts will arrive next week.)

It's rainy here in the Madison area, my work load is light today, but I have a service call to a salon tomorrow, so I intend to use the time provided.

Shortly I'm going to slip out of the cyber-world and descend into the craggy confines of the realm of swarf and hopelessness. If I survive, I'll have a toasty sharp new nakiri and more obscure stories to tell.

Away...!

Gee, the first step took almost no time at all! The edge was very straight, and only had one little ding and a minor grinding error near the rounded tip.

No coarse(r) stones were even needed. I simply went ove the affected areas with a 320 stone and chucked the knife back into the freezer.

I'll fold some laundry now, have a second cuppa and be back on the stones to begin polishing in 45 minutes.

Babe, it's been a day like a week and a half.

Under closer examination, I found the edge was a tad off center, closer to the left side than the right. Not a big deal, it's a laminate, and the layers are never a mirror image, or even the same knife to knife.

On top of that, I noticed some micro-scratches in the final polishing. It could have been a bad polishing tape or a rough edge on the glass.

I tore everything apart.

I called my supplier and a few glass companies, and then decided to use some diamond fixtures I already had to polish all of the edges on my polishing stones.

Then the knife was polished again.

About that time my wife came home, and I sliced up some red and yellow tomatoes for dinner. Yikes, these Japanese knives are sharp.

The only problem you might have is finding a clown who knows what he's doing...

(I had my doubts about mid-afternoon.)

Back
Top Bottom