Dexter-Russell or Victorinox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
I currently have a Farberware chef knife, and it's gotten rust along the blade and visible along the tang of the handle. I know I wasn't careful enough with it, but what the heck. Now I can upgrade!

I'm not willing to buy a $100 knife, or I'd just get a Messermeister :chef:.

It seems Dexter-Russell and Victorinox/Forschner are the preferred knives for many kitchens. I was wondering how they compared. I suspect they end up being very similar to each other maintenance-wise.

Of the two I prefer the Victorinox. But a bit of rust doesn't mean you should discard the knife! Even "red" (ie active) rust isn't likely to go deep unless the knife has been corroding for a long time. A bit of work with some metal polish will fix it.

That said I find the Victorinox blades to rule supreme in their price range. They ship hair popping sharp, have good ergonomic handles and the steel is good. You have to spend a fair bit more to do better quality wise, IMO.

Disclaimer: I've cooked professionally for the last couple decades or so.

I picked up a nice 8" Victorinox at a local restaurant supply store. They're actually not expensive at all. Here's to it lasting 20 years! I have also learned a good deal more about knife care over the last year, so it should fare better than my first knife. I could buy a new Farberware for the cost of getting it sharpened (it was a cheap knife), which it desperately needs, so I think it may be retired, in any case.

I have quite few Dexter Russel knives and they are very good knives. However I recently got Dexter knife and it is not ass good as it used to be.

I have quite few Dexter Russel knives and they are very good knives. However I recently got Dexter knife and it is not ass good as it used to be.
Sorry to hear that, Charlie. Most all of my Dexters are over 40 years old and many of them are carbon steel. They seem to have a very broad product line. Glad I bought and inherited the old ones which of course are not NSF certified.. Mine have been well taken care of and one has been in my family for four generations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom