Disposable Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Every year we spend two weeks at our timeshare in Aruba. It has a kitchen equipped with the worst possible equipment available. As a result, I have been bringing a couple of knives from an old set back and forth with me so I can slice and dice comfortably and safely.

Strolling around BJs (a warehouse store like Costco and Sam's Club) last weekend I came across a set of six (6) knives with plastic sheaths for $19.99. I bought them to take with me. I will use them and probably leave them there (we have a different apartment each week).

I bought them on a whim and will be happy if they stay sharp and last the two weeks. Great idea for a vacation places, not for everyday use.

Attachments

• 8606375_19.jpeg
    8606375_19.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 193
I agree that it is a good idea. But for me it is a little expensive for something you are planning on leaving behind. Whenever I have a pot luck to go to (where inevitably my serviceware disappears) I make a quick stop at the dollar store where I can pick up a knife or serving spoon for next to nothing. Then if it doesn't came home with me it's no big deal. As a matter of fact I almost prefer that they don't come home with me as they are of course inferior products.

I'm out of touch with air travel, you can pack plastic knives in your check-in luggage, but not metal ones?

I'm out of touch with air travel, you can pack plastic knives in your check-in luggage, but not metal ones?

These knives are metal blades with plastic handles. I have been packing regular kitchen knives (Chicago Cutlery) in my checked-in luggage for years with no issue.

Thanks. I was thinking they were one of those new fangled do it all knives like you see on QVC that are made out of some kind of plastic/resin. The sheaths through me off.

You can pack any kind of knife you want in your checked luggage, but not even a plastic knife in your carry on. After all, you don't have access to knives that are in the cargo area, and knives with no one to wield them can't hurt anyone :)

You can pack any kind of knife you want in your checked luggage, but not even a plastic knife in your carry on. After all, you don't have access to knives that are in the cargo area, and knives with no one to wield them can't hurt anyone :)

I've seen lots of movies where the bad guys retrieved their weapons from the cargo hold... :ermm:

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Yeah, I guess if you can put a gun in the cargo hold, you can put a knife.

I've seen lots of movies where the bad guys retrieved their weapons from the cargo hold... :ermm:

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Yeah, I guess if you can put a gun in the cargo hold, you can put a knife.

I don't think the TSA has anything to worry about.

I have one of those AG Russell knives. It's sharp, holds an edge. Handle has some friction points in prolonged use. Blade is short so it's not the most efficient design. I doubt I'd buy it myself, but it was a gift. For the money, I'd rather have a traveling set, probably Forschner for bang for buck.

hmm interesting.
If they hold their edge long enough then great find

however
i'd probably go with something that I know is gonna hold up so that I can still work with quality cookware but not worry about the price

something like the following

Wide 8" Chef Knife with Proflex Handle

or something from victornox.
let us know how the blades hold up
i'm getting ready to order a carrying case for my knives. I rather just travel with the knives im used to but its always nice to know the options

I do not know about quality, but it sure is an awesome deal. Target selles one of those the surated kind for about $9 bucks. I would have loved to get a set like that for 20 bucks.

I refuse to take my good knives for fear they will be lost or stolen.

I have to know where my knives are at all times when traveling.
the few times I've taken buses across country and stuff, they have gotten wrapped up really well, and really stashed in side my clothing..they tend to be pretty tough to find.

Not sure how one would go about losing a fine piece of cutlery. But I for sure understand where you are coming from. I just have a hard time using knives I'm not used to or that don't meet my standards

...Not sure how one would go about losing a fine piece of cutlery. But I for sure understand where you are coming from. I just have a hard time using knives I'm not used to or that don't meet my standards

I fly from Boston to Aruba (I'm typing this in Aruba) with my knives. I stash them in my checked in bag and they go through without a problem. However bags get lost and stolen on occasion and I choose not to risk it.

I have an older set of Chicago Cutlery knives that are pretty good. I usually take a chef's knife and a paring knife with me. They work quite well.

I bought these disposable knives on a whim when I saw them in Costco.

I used the chef's knife to cut up some giant carrots and mince an onion. I didn't care for them at all. I think I'll leave them behind.

And therein lies the point to start with.

yep
hence why I have a $20 knife ordered from a cooking warehouse..it's just as good if not better then my Shun and if something happens to it..i can replace it.

I dont worry to much about any other knife..most people have some sort of pairing knife and a serrated knife of some sort..I just need a chef knife that is comfortable for me.
Traveling to my moms house for holidays and not having a good chef knife is hell for me and makes cooking the toughest part of my day

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom