Do you know ceramic knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one ceramic knife, brand is Kyocera.

These are very sharp, but it is also rather light. I haven't had mine for long, but apparently you have to be carefull about dropping etc as they are prone to break easily.

I bought a Kyocera 6.5 inch chef's knife some months ago. I don't care for it and therefore don't use itany more.

I bought a Kyocera 6.5 inch chef's knife some months ago. I don't care for it and therefore don't use itany more.

What don't you like about it?

I have two Kyocera ceramics, a 5 1/2" Santoku and 3" paring knife. You still need steel knifes for some things but I am sold on ceramics.

What don't you like about it?

I have two Kyocera ceramics, a 5 1/2" Santoku and 3" paring knife. You still need steel knifes for some things but I am sold on ceramics.

I used it lightly for a couple of months for vegetables and defrosted, boneless meats. I found it not as sharp as my regular knives. It would not cut through a tomato without the application of too much pressure.

I too have found ceramic knives to be a little overrated. They have some good qualities: non-magnetic, non-reactive (won't alter the taste of acidic foods like a carbon steel blade, although stainless knives share this trait), edge retention. But they aren't as sharp as a good Japanese knife made of the newer breeds of "super steels".

Couple of you guys have either come across a dud knife or else just got a bad kind. I'm a ceramic loyalist; absolutely love em - and they're sharper than anything else in my kitchen (which is also home to a few Shun's, a number of MAC's, a few Wusthof Grand Prix's, a couple Henckel Twin Cuisine's, and a full set of Kasumi Titaniums).

The only knock I could ever put on em is their weight; it feels weird having a knife that weighs so little when you first use em. I've dropped em, tossed em in the dishwasher, cut through bone with em...I've only ever had one chip on me and that was because I torqued it while it was in a frozen piece of meat due to something else in the kitchen startling me.

Couple of you guys have either come across a dud knife or else just got a bad kind. I'm a ceramic loyalist; absolutely love em - and they're sharper than anything else in my kitchen [...]

That's interesting- do you do your own sharpening? I've tried a lot of ceramics but none could match the edge I put on my own Japanese blades, and I don't consider myself a "sharpening master" by any means. It's hard to imagine going up to 10,000 grit waterstone & glass hone on a Shun or Hattori and finding that your ceramic will best that.

That's interesting- do you do your own sharpening? I've tried a lot of ceramics but none could match the edge I put on my own Japanese blades, and I don't consider myself a "sharpening master" by any means. It's hard to imagine going up to 10,000 grit waterstone & glass hone on a Shun or Hattori and finding that your ceramic will best that.

I hire professionals to do all my sharpening. I'm a firm believer that home sharpening is just silly. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's just how it is. I'll *always* pay to have the man in the van show up at my house.

I hire professionals to do all my sharpening. I'm a firm believer that home sharpening is just silly. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's just how it is. I'll *always* pay to have the man in the van show up at my house.

Well, I guess I'll be one of those who disagree!;) Your pro may be a very good sharpener, but in my experience most of van-type sharpeners don't understand that Japanese knives must be sharpened differently. I can easily produce an edge far better than any of the pro sharpeners that work in my city. Still, if it works for you that's the main thing.:)

I took delivery of a Shun Clasic 5.5" Santuko today. In my opinion it's superior to any of the many (40 or so knives) I own with the exception of my one S30V blade. I sharpen all of my knives and most of them take a good edge but many require a light steeling between use in order for them to retain their ability to make paper thin slices. The one Boker / Kyocera blade that I own was less than sharp new in box and, after several sharpenings, has a better but still marginal sharpness. In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.

...in short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.

Using that argument, wouldn't the blades be obsidian?

I've never been really good at sharpening, so I'll stick with my ceramics. They are shaper than any steel knife I own.

In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.
I do not think that is a valid argument. Ceramics have been touted as excellent blades, but expensive and brittle. That is not something that would work for Gillette no matter how good the blade is. They need their razors to hold up to abuse. The average person who uses a razor is not going to treat their razor with the same care that they might treat their ceramic kitchen knives.

Well, I guess I'll be one of those who disagree!;) Your pro may be a very good sharpener, but in my experience most of van-type sharpeners don't understand that Japanese knives must be sharpened differently. I can easily produce an edge far better than any of the pro sharpeners that work in my city. Still, if it works for you that's the main thing.:)

Some of the oldtime sharpeners (circa 19?? - 195?) were grinders who were proficient at reestablishing the major bevel on neglected knives. Such a 'sharpening' should last for a decade or more if the edge was subsequently maintained by proper steeling.

Using that argument, wouldn't the blades be obsidian?

I've never been really good at sharpening, so I'll stick with my ceramics. They are shaper than any steel knife I own.
Obsidian can be quite sharp but the sharpening of obsidian has been normally achieved by a chipping or fracturing process that has not resulted in a particularly uniform edge.

I took delivery of a Shun Clasic 5.5" Santuko today. In my opinion it's superior to any of the many (40 or so knives) I own with the exception of my one S30V blade. I sharpen all of my knives and most of them take a good edge but many require a light steeling between use in order for them to retain their ability to make paper thin slices. The one Boker / Kyocera blade that I own was less than sharp new in box and, after several sharpenings, has a better but still marginal sharpness. In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.

See, I have to call...well, let's say I'm calling "nonsense" here. You don't sharpen a ceramic knife "several times". You sharpen them once every few years, and you have to have them sent away to do it.

Now, if you're implying you sharpen them on your own anyways, well I can't really refute that--but I can shake my head in disbelief you'd do something like that.

Now - I'm really curious, Poppinfresh.

What ceramic knife do you use to cut through bone without damaging it, assuming you mean the knife and not the bone?

Poppinfresh said:
I've dropped em, tossed em in the dishwasher, cut through bone with em...I've only ever had one chip on me and that was because I torqued it while it was in a frozen piece of meat due to something else in the kitchen startling me.

Actually, I don't know of any ceramic knives that possess the properties that you describe. I would certainly like to know what brand and model you are using that can do these things ... I have an Aunt that would love to have one.

I've got a pretty wide range. I've got a number of them from the Damascus line that Kyocera puts out, quite a few Shenzhen Hetiansheng (my personal favorite), a couple of Tachi's.

Two things about it though:

1) They don't recommend you do it. They tell you not to. I've just found I can get away with it. Now this isn't to say I'd try cutting through a leg bone on a lamb with one, but chicken, turkey, etc.? I'll cut away.

2) If you're going to do it, you'd have to do it with the higher end black knives. I don't know the EXACT process that makes them black, but it makes the knives stronger, which will allow them to put up with that kind of abuse. Will some of my white knives be able to? Probably a good chance of it. But it's not something I've ever attempted.

Poppinfresh steared me in the right direction - I am now a loyal fan of ceramics!!!! For $5 you can send up to three knives to Kyrocera for sharpening. They are very light but I like a very light knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom