Do you know what an "Office" Knife is ? ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchguycooking

Senior Cook
Hello Everyone,

I just bought an "Office" knife aka Paring Knife, or simply Small Kitchen Knife.

This knife is really useful and I should have bought it way before...
- Precise works : Slicing a garlic clove with a chef knife is a tough job...
- Paring : Obvious lol
- Pointy end : Removing cores of fruit or veggies
- Peeler : Sometimes on soft skins, or to go faster, a peeler won't do the job

Here's a picture of it :
thumbhpv.jpg

Do you use such a knife as well ?

I have two. One is 3 inches (7.5 cm) long and the other is 4 inches (10 cm) long.

I've never heard it's being called an office knife.

I think every American kitchen has one. As for peeling soft foods like peaches and tomatoes, a serrated peeler does the job so easily. Even overripe fruit. I can make a tomato rose with a skin so thin you can see through it.

A paring knife (what Americans call it) is one of the three basic knives advised for the basic kitchen. A serrated bread knife, a chef's knife, (size to suit user) and a paring knife. Some folks buy the Dollar Store special. Five to a package. Toss one when it gets dull. Other folks spend a lot of money on just one. And as most folks in these here parts will testify to, at one time or another, they have accidentally tossed out one with the peelings. I have two mid priced ones in my kitchen. Learned my lesson after tossing out an expensive one.

Yours looks to be mid priced. Some come with blades that are too long for the users hand. Yours looks to be just the right size for any hand. And seriously look into a serrated peeler.

Enjoy your new purchase and make lots of happy foods. :angel:

That can't be an "office" knife! It has a sharp point and edge.:ohmy:

The office knife I bought included the additional discription: Disposable.
It serves the purpose pretty well and for some things like slipping the extra thin blade under a label, it's great. If it gets lost, there is no big $ loss since I bought them 3 for $5.

The office knife I bought included the additional discription: Disposable.
It serves the purpose pretty well and for some things like slipping the extra thin blade under a label, it's great. If it gets lost, there is no big $ loss since I bought them 3 for $5.

Sounds like the Dollar Store special. :angel:

I buy good knives and sharpen as needed. Right now it's needed very much.

I take good care of my stuff so it lasts. SO, on the other hand, throws stuff away on a regular basis.

My mother owns 25,000 paring knives. Or so it seems so. And none are sharp.

We have a cheap green knife in my real office

03237568_zi_green

We have several paring knives in our kitchen and one I purchased in France over 40 years ago. I was traveling there and needed something to cut fresh fruit and cheese as I meandered through the countryside. This knife is awesome and I wish I'd bought a couple more. Holds an edge wonderfully and fits my hand perfectly. Hmmmm. Maybe I should go back to France for a search.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

For something I am going to be using a lot, I buy mid range and I take care of it. I probably spend more time keeping it clean than I do the house. And if it is a gift, it gets even better care. It took me a long time to learn to say "no" when it comes to lending out any gifts I receive. They usually come back broken or dirty. Sometimes they never come back. So buy your own or cook something else. I bought my Food Saver. I take good care of it, not because I use it a lot, but because my sister went out of her way to take me to buy it when it was on sale. I appreciate the effort she made for me. The only person I make an exception for is Spike. Over the years he has shown that he takes care of what is not his. And he returns it. Specially pie plates and cake dishes. He will want a refill later. :angel:

I think every American kitchen has one. As for peeling soft foods like peaches and tomatoes, a serrated peeler does the job so easily. Even overripe fruit. I can make a tomato rose with a skin so thin you can see through it....

I buy good knives and sharpen as needed....I take good care of my stuff so it lasts....

So true Andy. Himself treated me to a very nice paring knife a number of Christmases back. He must have spent hours letting me fondle knife after knife until I felt I had owned "that" selected knife for years. Even so, I've managed to pick up a number of under $10 or $15 ones over the years. My favorite of that bunch is tiny, a 2" blade, and all stainless steel, including the handle. Its made by Rada; I picked it up in OH Amish Country for about $5.50.

Addie, if you have a sharp enough paring knife you can cut and peel all sorts of soft items. My best paring knife can slice tomatoes so thinly and you don't smoosh the fruit. Slices into a thumb pretty good too :ohmy:. Fortunately, a clean cut from a very sharp knife heals quickly with no scar. Yup, personal experience...

My favorite of that bunch is tiny, a 2" blade, and all stainless steel, including the handle. It's made by Rada; I picked it up in OH Amish Country for about $5.50.

I know what you mean, CG. I have two Rada knives. One is a paring knife that's probably exactly like yours and a Santoku knife. I bought them at an area Mennonite market. They're great and not terribly expensive. I've been tempted to buy another Rada knife at the market, but haven't decided which one, nor whether or not I need another knife of any type. Still.......:rolleyes:

A true value Katie! I'm surprised at how nice of a knife it is considering its low cost. Plan on looking at them again when we're back home. I'm sure I can find them in MA if I looked but I need an Amish fix. ;)

"I can never figure out how you use a letter opener on e-mail.:angel:"

As hard as you can jab the opener at your monitor between the subject line and the address line. :whistling

Back
Top Bottom