EdgePro Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last time I was there was in '86. I do not remember any of the places we ate. I got an app for my iPhone which lists all the restaurants and menus so I have been spending time looking through all of them. There is a lot to choose from. I will have to check out Bahama Breeze. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am new here and had already ordered my Edge Pro. I cannot wait for it to arrive next week. I have a set of Cook's knives form JC Penny and look forward to sharpening them to learn with until I order a real set of knives.

Welcome to the site luisc202. You are going to love your sharpener and it is good that you have a set of knives to practice on. I learned on my good knives and did just fine, but I would have been a lot less stressed that I was going to do some damage if I had a beater knife to play with first.

Welcome to the site luisc202. You are going to love your sharpener and it is good that you have a set of knives to practice on. I learned on my good knives and did just fine, but I would have been a lot less stressed that I was going to do some damage if I had a beater knife to play with first.

I thought these were a good se of knives when I bought them. I have been researching knives for the last week and wow I was blown away by some prices on knives.lol

My knives are not sharp at all so I ventured out to research knife sharpening and stumbled on some sites and most talked about the Edge APex, but I figured buy the best now and be done with it. I seen what it can do personally and it is an awesom set up.

I just need to know what knives and cookware to invest in. I don't mind spening the money just want to make sure I get good quality up front.

You will be amazed once you get your first high quality knife. It will be unlike anything you have ever handled before. The good news is that you do not have to take out a loan to get a very good knife. Yes you can spend thousands on one knife if you wanted to, but you can also spend 1 or 2 hundred and get an excellent blade.

The latestt rend is Japanese knives. Look through the knife forum here and you will see many brand names to look at that are reasonable in price. My first foray into Japanese knives was a Tojiro. I do not recall how much I spent, but it was under $200. It was probably closer to the $100 side. I love the knife. It gets very sharp (I have sharpened it at 10 degrees on both sides) and it holds its edge much longer than my Wustof knives (which I do like for what they are).

Once we know more about you and what and how you cook then we will be able to give you more specific recommendations on both knives and cookware, if you want.

You will be amazed once you get your first high quality knife. It will be unlike anything you have ever handled before. The good news is that you do not have to take out a loan to get a very good knife. Yes you can spend thousands on one knife if you wanted to, but you can also spend 1 or 2 hundred and get an excellent blade.

The latestt rend is Japanese knives. Look through the knife forum here and you will see many brand names to look at that are reasonable in price. My first foray into Japanese knives was a Tojiro. I do not recall how much I spent, but it was under $200. It was probably closer to the $100 side. I love the knife. It gets very sharp (I have sharpened it at 10 degrees on both sides) and it holds its edge much longer than my Wustof knives (which I do like for what they are).

Once we know more about you and what and how you cook then we will be able to give you more specific recommendations on both knives and cookware, if you want.

my apologies for tkaing te thread off topic. I have a friend with an Apex and he hates the suction cups. I wish they would have used the same kind of base from the Pro on the Apex. I would have bought it then. The idea of the base moving around on me would drive me nuts.

I made a thread on this forum about knives thanks for the advice and if you want to post please feel free in it.

Hey don't worry about the thread moving off topic. It is all related as far as I am concerned :)

Had I know then what I know now I would have splurged on the Pro model. I guess when it is time to upgrade I will know better.

Well I don't know if they are letting me out, but I am certainly escaping. We are taking my daughter (who turns 5 today) to Disney. There will be plenty of sun I hope!

As a Floridian and a "Disney Nut" who loves Bahama Breeze for their seafood chowder and the blackbean soup, we used to visit three times a year and had resident passes. If you can't get into the BB near Disney, drive up to Altamonte Springs on your way home and eat at the mall there. We love Fulton's Crab House in downtown Disney at lunch for their calimari (its from the bell instead of the tentacles) I'd love to be your guide. Our nest visit is in April as DVC members

As a rule I don't really care for onion rings, but I get them at Bahama Breeze. Matter of fact I never really cared for them until I had them there. One order is enough for the whole family, trust me! Can't remember what else I got there, probably shrimp and something. Everything I've had was good though.

Two votes for Bahama Breeze. Looks like I will have to put that on my list. Thanks guys.

I can see why the Apex is designed as it is, and it's a good design IMO. Using the same base would have made the two products nearly the same and would have defeated the purpose- it would cost just as much and be much larger. Portability is a key virtue of the Apex model. Folded down and taken apart it would fit in my work knife case! Personally I never take it down but I know at least 2 pro sharpeners that use them for their work, and one works off the back of a Harley.

The Apex will stay stuck down pretty well if you use a bit of water and stick it on something like a cookie sheet. But I also have to say, if it's moving around a lot on you you're probably using too much force. I think you'll find if you employ a light touch your Apex will settle down.

That said, I'm finally selling my Apex...and buying a Pro!:brows: I love the Apex but my dad is looking to buy one, so I thought I'd make him a good deal and step up to the top model. Who knows, I may end up doing scissor sharpening someday too. I'm sort of at a "semi-pro" sharpening level right now. Mostly I've been doing it for free but I'm taking in enough knives that I've had to charge enough to cover my costs, if not my time. Since doing that tip regrind I've got even more people asking for sharpening. My dad retired from his f/t work and sharpens professionally now, and within a year he & Mom are moving to my town, and he would like me to join him. That's just one more reason to buy a Pro Model. Between it and my belt grinder I can do most things, and Dad can take care of the chain saws, ice augers, etc.

The latest trend is Japanese knives. Look through the knife forum here and you will see many brand names to look at that are reasonable in price. My first foray into Japanese knives was a Tojiro. I do not recall how much I spent, but it was under $200. It was probably closer to the $100 side. I love the knife. It gets very sharp (I have sharpened it at 10 degrees on both sides) and it holds its edge much longer than my Wustof knives (which I do like for what they are).

A Tojiro is an excellent knife. Even though I have knives costing multiples of it's price I still take it to work every day. In fact, I just got a new Tojiro Western Deba. I should post a picture- it's a beast of a knife! Over twice as thick as a regular Tojo gyuto. You feel like it would cut a brick in half!:ROFLMAO:

I will have to try using a lighter touch next time. I do not think I am using much too heavy of a touch, but it is possible I am going a little too heavy. it is not that the base is sliding around though, but more that the cups just pop off on their own. At least that is my impression. Maybe it is because I am going to heavy after all.

Rob, you are a major reason I got my Torijo. You had talked about them a lot and I really liked what you were saying. You did not steer me wrong. I love this knife. It is my go to knife now.

I'm glad you like it! They're very good knives for the money. The only reason I'd ever get rid out mine would be to pass it on to someone who needed a good first knife. Barring that I'll keep it forever!:ROFLMAO:

I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I am saving this thread so that I will remember to try it next time I grab the EP.

I finally had a chance to try the Vaseline. It was a very good thought, but it did not work. I am pretty sure it would have helped keep the cups suctioned much better than the water, but the problem is that it acted like a lubricant. The cups stick, but they slid all over the table like it was an ice skating rink.

On the plus side, I have learned, as I kind of already knew, that I was using much too heavy a touch. I lightened up significantly and also slowed down a bit and that has helped a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom