Favorite knife manufacturer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite knife manufacturer?

• Total voters
My favorite looks like a Wusthof but it's made by Farberware.
It's only about 6 inches long but that's fine cause I have very
small hands.

Gotta give 2 brands since they're 2 different types of knives.

I love Kyocera's ceramic knives.

In terms of traditional knives, I use Mac knives.

I have tons of knives from miricle blades to henkels but the one knife that i love and cannot live without is a $20.00 OXO PRO serrated tomato knife.It does so many things for me .I have 4 or 5 of them. Whenever i have a coupon to a bed bath and beyond I will pick one up. I slice tomatos fruit bread its a great fit, does not slip from hand and i can slice pretty thin slices.So more money on a knife does not always mean its the best knife for someones use.

My knife gloria, which is under my pillow. Just kidding. I was just thinking of this show I saw where this woman had a "favorite knife" and she ended up killing her husband with it. Sorry that was OT.

Dont buy FURi knives, heap of crap, sorry guys. Had a set for about 4 years and just threw them away. No real 'strength' in the blade and doesn't hold its edge past the second chop.

For fine cutting and fish the KAI range of shun and pro are fantastic.

While I feel Big Al's pain regards FURI knives, I said above the egro dynamics are wonderful. the steal is fecal.< if not worse>

I only own one quality knife, a Global Santoku -- love it. Sucker is super sharp and requires little maintenance.

I've been cooking with Wusthof knives for my whole career, and have no desire to use anything else. I also learned early on that because I was tall, the 10-inch knife would suit me better for most purposes than anything shorter. Once I got accustomed to the length, I wondered what I ever did before that!

I got a Wusthof Grand prix santoku knive for my birthday and just love it. Also have several Henckels that are great and for the "other" category a Cutco paring knife that is out of this world. Also, a cheap murderous 2 lb cleaver from Egypt that can could probably cut through a cow--great in my foreign posting where you can actually get "REAL" bones to open up the marrow for great broths, etc. Outta my way here it comes.

I have several Wusthof kitchen knives that I purchased around 1968. These are what I believe are now called Wusthof's "classic" line -- I'm not sure because I've had no reason to check -- my knives are in nearly new condition, despite daily use (well, I don't really use everyone every day). I have two French Chef's knives (6" & 8"), two paring knives (3.5" and 4.5"), a boning knife, and a 9" slicer.

Maybe it's what I'm used to, but I like the balance and the feel of the handle in my hand. I've sharpened these knives myself, for several years using just a wetstone and oil as my dad taught me, then for several years with a Chef's Choice, and more recently with a Spyderco Tri-Angle 204 sharpener. The blades take a razor-shape edge, and they stay sharp for several months with nothing more than a few swipes with a steel (which doesn't sharpen the blade, it just straightens the cutting edge).

I do have one other good kitchen knife, a 240 mm Hattori Gyuto of Damascus steel, which is super sharp but a bit large for most tasks.

I have recently bought new knives.. I got a Wustoff Grand Prix II chef knife (very very nice knife).. For the rest (pairer, carving, bread) I went with Andre Vierder and again am very happy with them (not as expensive as Wustoff but still v. good)..

Bump - if I may?

When we were in the house I had a big set of Cutco that Bob got me a few years ago and the Henkels we bought when we first moved into the house. Last year I got a Calphalon santoku that I adore.

Now that we're on the boat I had to cut down on stuff. I've got my Cutco steak knives, My Henkels set, and the santoku. I miss my big Cutco chef's knife, actually all my Cutco. While we were packing I found a set of Kershaw knifes that I was given by an ex-boyfriend. I thought they'd be great for the sailboat - it's one handle in a case with various blades that can be attached.

Strangely I've got 2 sets of those stupid knives that Omaha Steaks sends out as "freebies" that really aren't too bad. Light as heck, sharp, and we keep them in the picnic basket - along with a little cutting board.

Someplace, I'm sure packed in storage, I've go a beautiful fillet knife that I got at a ships chandlery - it's the kind commercial fishermen use. I've also got a couple of huge carbon steel chef's knives with no name. They're way to big for me - but Bob likes them. I also have a couple little $1.00 paring knives from Pampered Chef - geeeeze these little demons are sharp:ohmy:.

MAC is on my list to get next time I have money to spend on a knife.

In the mean time, I voted for Wusthof knives mostly because that is what I have. Of course, I did do a lot of research before I got them. Well, the fact that my neighbor worked for the distributor and I got them for the whole sale price also played the role. I have 11 knives. Tomato knife was definitely a waste of money, Santoku I have weird relation with that knife. I either get into hating mood and do not use it for month or I fall in love all over and that is the only knife I use then. Also, I practically never use the boning knife as I have a commercial Dexter Russell quality knife that is much thinner and is simply better knife to use to filet meat or fish. Of course, here I have to add that I never use fish knife on meat or vise versa. This means that I have couple of those knives.

wusthof. well-balanced knife. i have a classic 5" santoku with a full tang. excellent $80 i submitted. (usually $100, got my knife during a sale).

Last edited:
WHAT! No Ginsu users here!

I would love a Wusthof, but I think it would be kind of a waste for a home cook. There is just me and "Old What's Her Name" so how much knife work am I going to do.

I have a nice 10" Vitorinox Fibrox Chef knife and a 6" everthing by them also. My boning knife came from a butcher friend. I don't know what or who made that but it is a real good knife.

now i have been looking at the Misonos, Hattoris and MACs... they all look exceptional knives... i am kind of weary of the Misonos since they are sharpened differently, with emphasis on one side of the blade, but they were rated as #1 choice in a poll for professional chefs taken by Food & Wine...

Back
Top Bottom