Found my cleaver!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Man, I've been looking for this for almost a year, since I moved back to Sioux Falls! I'd put it in a box when to move, then couldn't find it. Well, I was rummaging around trying to find a couple of my nice blue demim chef coats and found my lost kitchen box!

It's nothing special, just a medium weight jobbie I got for $40 about 10 years ago. But it's my favorite cleaver that I've ever used. And I can't find anything comparable without spending twice as much:

kaicutcleaver1zw7.jpg

caicutcleaver2uh4.jpg

Once I dug it out, I slapped it on my Edge Pro Apex and worked my up thru the stones, coarse thru fine. Now it's shaving sharp but with a fairly robust bevel.:)

The English says "Kai-Cut". I may have had it for 15 years, certainly quite a while. I don't even really know what brand it is. It does say it was made in Japan on the other side of the blade.

Nothing exotic, just a good $40 cleaver.

At first I thought it is maybe related to Kai Shun, but google has it as a separate brand "KaiCut" on many sites. As long as it does what you tell it to, right?

Buz, "hold it by the handle with the tip pointed away from you". What are you kidding? OH HO your funny!!!!!
There is no bevel on the right side, only the left. The name imprint is on the left as well --- that's if I have the tip pointing away from me.
But pray tell, how is a knife left or right? Is that like a left or right paint brush? Ha, Ha.

You don't know much about knife geometry. You have a left handed knife. Don't be so quick on the clever cleaver trigger because you obviously don't know diddly about single beveled knives. Jeeze! :glare:

You're correct, obviously. Otherwise I wouldn't be afraid of the thing. I don't even remember when or where I bought it.
It's old but looks unused. And when I bought it I know I wasn't given a left or right option.

It's surprizing that your knife is left handed. With only two (manufacturer) exceptions that I know of, left handed traditional single beveled Japanese knives usually cost 40% more than right handed. Even double beveled Japanese knives are typically ground with a right handed bias, 20/80, 30/70, etc.

As you surmised, again, I don't know knives, so with what you just mentioned, I guess I'm lucky.
But there's got to be lighter clevers than mine. But I don't know if weight = an easier job. You could probably cut down a Christmas tree with this thing.

Can you post a picture? By your description I'd guess you have a meat cleaver capable of tackling bones, but these are normally doubled beveled sharpened at 25 degrees or so per side, not unlike an axe. They require an angle like that so they don't chip and/or roll the edge under the pressure applied while chopping. I think you said it was new or like new. Any chance someone reprofiled the blade? How large is the blade, length and width, and how much does the total knife weigh? You seem to have a most unusual knife. :cool:

Buzz

You're beginning to sound obsessed! As for pictures, no. This is my first computer and only purchased it in March. I have no photo equipment yet and then would have to be taught. (You see, I am more well rounded than you thought. I don't know alot about computers either)
OOPS! You are correct. I took it out to measure and oops, it's beveled on BOTH sides.
The blade is 8" long X 3 1/4" wide at it's widest (3" at it's narrowest). The handle is round, wood, 4" long, about 1" diameter.

Obsessed? Maybe to a point. I cook and collect, both hobbies. Your knife is 203mm X 83mm and you say it's heavy. You have a meat clever meant to do reasonably heavy work, or, you have a vegetable slicer that is heavier than your other knives because of its large area. It's all relative. If you have a food scale post how many total ounces it weighs. If you can get a picture of the blade showing the Japanese kanji or Chinese writing (whatever they call it) perhaps it can be identified.

In any case, have fun with it. I do at least half of my veggie work with a 220 X 110mm Japanese veggie cleaver (Chuckabocho) and love it. It requires a bit of a learning curve but once attained it will be one of your favorite knives.

Check out Curtis Chung using one here. Edit: actually, Curtis is using two. The second with the dead flat blade is a Moritaka, same as mine. End edit.

Buzz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom