Global Knives Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peluso81

Assistant Cook
Hello, this is my first time posting herealthough I have been reading alot of info here for awhile now. I have a few questions about Global knives. A few weeks ago was my fiancee's bridal shower and we got the 3 Global knives I had picked out, the oriental chef's, santoku, and paring. Although I am not a professional chef, I like to consider myself an excellent cook and know my way around the kitchen really well and I kind of also have a fetish for gourmet kitchen appliances.

Anyway, I noticed that the blades on the Global's are much sharper than the blades of my Wusthof Classic's and are alot thinner as well, and I also noticed that this evening when I was chopping fresh parsley with the santoku I was hearing what sounded like a snapping sound, and after I cleaned off the blade it looked like the blade bent alittle near the bottom. Now do any of you think that would happen due to the thinness of the blade or do you think that can be steeled and go back to normal? Also, I've read and heard different people saying that the Global's are single beveled and then others saying that they are double beveled like Wusthof's are, and I can't get a real answer out of anyone as to which way they are beveled. So does anyone know?

Oh and one other question. How do any of you sharpen your Global's? Do you use a steel sharpening steel or a ceramic steel, and if they are single beveled, would you only steel it on a certain side? Just curious because I was thinking of returing this knife if I didn't throw out the box it came in because of what happened. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to DC! I bought a Global chef's knife recently, it having been strongly recommended by Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential. Have not yet used it though. However, to address your questions, I found the following info on the web which may help:

"High tech from tip to handle, Global knives from Japan created a sensation when they burst onto the world's culinary stage as an alternative to traditional European-style cutlery. Blades are made of hard molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel and "face-ground" with a long taper rather than a short bevel so edges remain sharp longer than even the best high-carbon stainless-steel knives. Edges also are ground at a more acute angle than traditional European-style knives and arrive from the factory razor-sharp.

Global recommends using a ceramic sharpener or a diamond steel instead of a metal sharpening steel for its knives, supplemented by a synthetic whetstone, a ceramic whetstone, or a Shinkansen sharpener. Global also makes a Sharpening Guide Rail so blades can be honed on a whetstone at the proper angle. Global knives should be hand washed to protect edges. They carry a lifetime warranty against defects and breakage."

I'm sure you'll get other inputs from the helpful folks here at DC. Good luck and best wishes to you and your bride-to-be!

Thanks Chopstix for the quick reply with all the info and for the best wishes. Its too bad you haven't gotten to use your Global yet, its really razor sharp. I mean I love these knives, I just don't understand if they are suppossed to be made out of a really hard material, then why would mine bend a tiny bit near the bottom of the blade when I was chopping. I take good care of these knives, only hand washing and store them in a special drawer that I only keep my good knives in and they are all in their original boxes or sheaths so they won't get damaged and I'm the only one who handles them and I hand wash them all. Well, hopefully I can fix it by sharpening it with a whetstone or ceramic steel. Good thing I didn't buy them myself, then I would really be tens times as mad. Thanks for your help!

I'd go back to the store they came from and talk to sales people. There might by something they can do fo you. Good knife should not band after first use.

Thought you might want to know

The global knives are much thinner than your typical German made knife. The sound that you hear is either the knife edge bending or your cutting board being cut. You should be able to clean up the edge with a Diamond or Ceramic steel. Also only some of the Global knives have a single edge. Unless you have used them before I would not recommend them.

Enjoy using your Globals

D

I use a Global everyday like **** too as it is in a professional kitchen. I use ceramic (i can even sharpen it on the bottom of a plate) and diamond steel and have never had any problem. It is also much easier to sharpen than a thick blade such as a henkle or wustoff

no no no, Global knives have a convexed edge (also called an appleseed edge) and should NOT be sharpened or steeled like traditional "edge" sharpened cutlery. As soon as you "sharpen" a Global via conventional means, you destroy the convex edge and put a "normal" edge on it! Google convex, sharpening, mousepad (yes mousepad) & sandpaper to learn the proper way to sharpen convex edge knives---if you really don'r want to learn a new method of sharpening, you can put normal edges on your knives, but why buy global then? for those unfamiliar with convex edges, look at an axe---1 smooth curve from back to the edge---no bevel. That's a convex edge. Yes, I've seen Global's own recommendation on how to sharpen their knives....they're wrong.

Last edited:
Tony_AAA said:
no no no, Global knives have a convexed edge (also called an appleseed edge) and should NOT be sharpened or steeled like traditional "edge" sharpened cutlery. As soon as you "sharpen" a Global via conventional means, you destroy the convex edge and put a "normal" edge on it! Google convex, sharpening, mousepad (yes mousepad) & sandpaper to learn the proper way to sharpen convex edge knives---if you really don'r want to learn a new method of sharpening, you can put normal edges on your knives, but why buy global then? for those unfamiliar with convex edges, look at an axe---1 smooth curve from back to the edge---no bevel. That's a convex edge. Yes, I've seen Global's own recommendation on how to sharpen their knives....they're wrong.

Goodweed says that this is a must read. You may not choose to use the info, but knowledge gvies you options. I now know why my Chroma says not to use a steel to hone it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I went ahead and put the convex edge on my knife. It took me about 20 minutes or so. I have to say that my knife, which was already very easy to use, now glides through foods unlike anything I've ever used before. It cuts almost errortlessly. Plus, the convex shape is inherently stronger than is a V edge. This means that the knife edge is more durable and resists folding over due to use. I cut thawed pork shoulder, gristle and all, simply by placing the cutting edge on the meat, and drawing the knife toward me. I held the knife handle between my forefinger and thumb and tried vary carefull to exert no downward pressure. The knife cleanly sliced the meat to from top to the cutting board. It took just a bit of pressure to get through a watermellon, and just a bit more to get through acorn squash. I haven't tried it on a tomato yet. But I expect it to do well. I am very pleased with the relults.

If you can shapen a convex edge, then do it. The ease with which you will then cut through various foods will amaze you. At least that's my experience.

Thank you TonyAAA for the info. I love learning new things.:D

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No problem Goodweed, happy to help. Oh yeah, you've got to try this test for sharpness. Lay a piece of paper on a flat surface and try to "cut" a word or letter off the paper without creating a hole or lifting the paper---you are literally "shaving" the word/letter off the paper!! (without creating a hole--the shaved part is now 1/2 as thick!) Only a sharp + convexed-edged knife can do this---can't be done with a V edged knife!

Tony_AAA said:
No problem Goodweed, happy to help. Oh yeah, you've got to try this test for sharpness. Lay a piece of paper on a flat surface and try to "cut" a word or letter off the paper without creating a hole or lifting the paper---you are literally "shaving" the word/letter off the paper!! (without creating a hole--the shaved part is now 1/2 as thick!) Only a sharp + convexed-edged knife can do this---can't be done with a V edged knife!

Too cool!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom