Got a couple new knives today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Okay, one came yesterday and the other today, but I just got a chance to try them out. The first was an impulse buy, a 270mm Hiromoto AS. I've been wanting one and a fellow at another forum was selling it for a price I couldn't refuse. I'll take a pic of my own knife when I get a chance, but for now I'll post a pic from JCK (my own knife was purchased used and is sharper plus has a beautiful patina on the edge):

The other is on that I've been impatiently waiting for for a couple months- an Ichimonji TKC! This beauty has been back-ordered
for awhile with only one US dealer. The steel is a some type of semi-stainless high speed tool steel. It might just unseat my reigning favorite stainless, the 240mm Akifusa. Certainly the Ichi is a bit thinner. A shot from the vendor:

chefknivestogo_2094_7810418

The Hiromoto is basically a 270mm razor blade! The selling did a nice job on it, and the Aogami Super hagane is legendary for its ability to take an edge. The Ichimonji isn't very sharp at all OOTB, but that's pretty typical for J-knives. Aside from mass market brands sold primarily to the West most Japanese knives aren't very sharp when purchases. No problem, I'll sharpen the TKC up to 10k on my Choceras before I take it work to try it.:)

a young woman from my granddaughter's church needs so many demos for her training to sell cutco. she came here yesterday. i was really impressed with the knives. she kept saying life guarantee. i told her at my age, that is not a selling point. anyway the prices of these knives is just to high. really interested in kitchen sheers. 90 bucks. no sale. i am sure some people have that kinda money. i am not that person.

Lately I've been attempting to keep my purchases capped at about $200 per knife. There are a few I really want that are more than that, we'll see...the guys at KF are getting a group buy together for Nenox knives, and the thought of an S-1 is really tempting.

Still haven't had a chance to sharpen the Ichi but I can report some impressions. First off, the fit & finish of this one is immaculate! Compared to the Akifusa is just feels expensive. The fit between the tang and the scales is absolutely perfect, not a single edge you can feel. The blade is a tiny bit taller at the heel, too, and the handle is a bit more comfortably shaped. The latter isn't a big deal if you use a pinch grip but the smidge of extra height is very nice. It has a tad more "belly" than the Akifusa but not by much, and is still very "French" in the overall shape. And did I mention this knife is thin? We're talkin' Kate Moss thin!:LOL: It makes most of my other gyutos look like axes!:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom