Has anyone tried the Wolfgang Puck Knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyM

Senior Cook
I own a selection of six Henckels "Professional S" series knives, and am quite happy with them. However, as my budget is not unlimited, when I went to buy cookware, I did the reasearch, and decided to buy the Wolfgang Puck brand, which I have also been quite happy with for several years.

Due to assorted computer problems, I have been offline for several months, and only have gotten back online within the last couple of days. Last night I went to the HSN site, which is the official home to the Wolgang Puck cookware, just to see what was new, and was astonished at seeing a new line of Wolfgang Puck knives.

They are high-carbon stainless, just like my beloved Henckels, the sets actually contain only knives I would use, and they seem absurdly inexpensive for what they apparently are.

It almost makes me wish I were shopping for knives again. I'm not, but I'm curious. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Kelly

I also have the Henckels Professional S and am very happy with them. I cannot tell you anything about the WP knives., sorry.

$69.98 for a 14 piece set??? I know that you can't always judge by price, but that seems almost too good to be true for any sort of real quality. I couldn't possibly buy them sight unseen... without handling them that is.:huh:

I agree that price seems like a red flag. It is very true that price is not always an indication as to quality so I am not saying that these knives are junk, but I am skeptical. Do we know if they are stamped or forged?

GB said:
I agree that price seems like a red flag. It is very true that price is not always an indication as to quality so I am not saying that these knives are junk, but I am skeptical. Do we know if they are stamped or forged?

From the photo on the HSN site, they look exactly like Henckels Professional S which are forged knives.

Since they do not say that these knives are forged ... and looking at the comparable list price of $199 - I would have to guess that these are "stamped". WP has two sets of steak knives - one doesn't specify how made for $29.90 - the other explicitly states "forged" and is $39.90. That might be a clue.

Stamped are cheaper to make than forged ... and we have had some debates in here in the past about are forged really worth the extra expense for basic kitchen cutlery. I don't know ...

The folks at HSN customer support don't know any more than what is written on their website about these knives. If anyone would like to pursue it more ... the number for Wolfgang Puck's customer service department is 1-800-275-8273 (9-4:30 EST).

Of course, you can read the reviews, and we all know how gushy everyone gets when they have a sharp set of knives to work with. I get the same way 3-4 times a year when I sit down and give mine a good sharpening with an oil stone - like having a new set of knives!

I have one Henckels 8-inch French knife that I've had for years.

Didn't follow that up with the same brand though.

~Corey123.

GB said:
It is possible that you stumbled upon something great here Kelly.

Yes, could be a good thing.

Stamped blades don't usually have bolsters. I suspect these are of the SCT variety. However, the description for the steak knife set specifically says it is forged. I'm tempted to buy the Chef/ Paring/ Cutting board set for $19.98 just to see what they're like.

At least this way I'd have a chef's knife I wouldn't have to respect and baby as much; I'd just chuck it in the dishwasher, and who cares if the handle greys? I've thought about this in the past anyway. You know, like when you are making a sandwich and all you have to do is take one slice off of an onion or something? Takes much longer to wash and dry the the knife than to make the cut. It would be nice just to make the one slice and then into the dishwasher it goes.

Kelly

KellyM said:
Yes, could be a good thing.

Stamped blades don't usually have bolsters. I suspect these are of the SCT variety. However, the description for the steak knife set specifically says it is forged. I'm tempted to buy the Chef/ Paring/ Cutting board set for $19.98 just to see what they're like.

At least this way I'd have a chef's knife I wouldn't have to respect and baby as much; I'd just chuck it in the dishwasher, and who cares if the handle greys? I've thought about this in the past anyway. You know, like when you are making a sandwich and all you have to do is take one slice off of an onion or something? Takes much longer to wash and dry the the knife than to make the cut. It would be nice just to make the one slice and then into the dishwasher it goes.

Kelly

There's more to it than discoloration of the handle, Kelly. The force of the water jets in the DW can cause the knife blade to be struct by other metal objects, nicking the edge, etc.

However, it might be worth the small investment to find out just how good the are.

Putting them through the dishwasher also cause the edge to need to be sharpened more often than if you hand washed.

If you are just taking a slice of an onion then just give it a quick rinse and wipe it dry. No need to always scrub with soap and sponge.

For $20 it is worth checking out that set.

Andy M. said:
There's more to it than discoloration of the handle, Kelly. The force of the water jets in the DW can cause the knife blade to be struct by other metal objects, nicking the edge, etc.

However, it might be worth the small investment to find out just how good the are.

Yeah, I understand that. It's just that for twenty bucks, I really wouldn't care. I'd put 'em in the top rack, anyway, out of harm's way. I mean I wouldn't be too careless with them; a knife should at least be treated like a knife, after all.

Kelly

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I also have the Henckels Professional S and am very happy with them. I cannot tell you anything about the WP knives., sorry.

Hey Andy,

I just went to the Henckels site. Turns out our "Professional S" blades are manufactured using the stamped, SCT technology. If you go to the knives section, then click on "Production", and click on the PDF file there, they proudly tell you all about it. Who'da thunk it? This makes the WP blades look as though they might be even closer to "real knives" than I thought.

Kelly

The presence, or absence, of a boslter is not an indication of if a knife is stamped or forged. Henckels has a couple of lines that have bolsters that are stamped ... I have several forged knives that don't have bolsters. The only thing that I have found that gives an indication (when reading ads) is in the description of a knife - if it is forged it will say so.

When it comes to caring for your knives .... if you want something to just make a slice and toss into the dishwasher .... get one of those $19.95 "As Seen on TV" sets from Chef Tony or Ginsu. These are made from stamped Stainless Steel - not high carbon stain resistent steel like good knives. But, they will fill the bill for "cutting one slice of onion and tossing it into the dishwasher". No need in wasting good money on a knife you don't want to care for properly - and it probably takes 30-seconds or less to wash and dry one by hand.

Even very expensive ceramic knives need to be treated with respect and not tossed in the dishwasher. For example - from the folks at Kyocera regarding their knives ... "This material, which is second in hardness only to diamond, was originally developed for industrial applications where metal components failed." There is nothing to rust or rot in their knives .... yet their cleaning and care instructions say, "Hand Wash with Mild Detergent".

I will be the first to admit that perhaps there is something in my rearing that leaves me wondering why some people think the only way to wash anything is in a dishwasher when with little, if any, more effort it can be done by hand.

my wife bought the 5 or 6 piece w.p. santoku set from hsn. she's addicted to hsn and qvc. (when she hasn't ordered something from them in a coupla weeks they talk directly to her thru the tv. :( )

i don't think they were all that expensive, around $40.

they are extremely lightweight; not much metal in the blade. they're perfect for dw as she has carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, but i thought the blade was too thin.

i will say that the hold their edge pretty well. my wife never steels or sharpens anything but her fingernails :cool:, so i was expecting them to be dull by now.
i used one of the knives the other day to make citrus supremes. even after 6 months or so of neglected use, they were still pretty sharp.

but, if you are used to henckels, i think that you'd would be disappointed with the weight and balance of the w.p. santokus.

sorry wolfie...

Michael in FtW said:
The presence, or absence, of a boslter is not an indication of if a knife is stamped or forged. Henckels has a couple of lines that have bolsters that are stamped ... I have several forged knives that don't have bolsters. The only thing that I have found that gives an indication (when reading ads) is in the description of a knife - if it is forged it will say so.

When it comes to caring for your knives .... if you want something to just make a slice and toss into the dishwasher .... get one of those $19.95 "As Seen on TV" sets from Chef Tony or Ginsu. These are made from stamped Stainless Steel - not high carbon stain resistent steel like good knives. But, they will fill the bill for "cutting one slice of onion and tossing it into the dishwasher". No need in wasting good money on a knife you don't want to care for properly - and it probably takes 30-seconds or less to wash and dry one by hand.

Even very expensive ceramic knives need to be treated with respect and not tossed in the dishwasher. For example - from the folks at Kyocera regarding their knives ... "This material, which is second in hardness only to diamond, was originally developed for industrial applications where metal components failed." There is nothing to rust or rot in their knives .... yet their cleaning and care instructions say, "Hand Wash with Mild Detergent".

I will be the first to admit that perhaps there is something in my rearing that leaves me wondering why some people think the only way to wash anything is in a dishwasher when with little, if any, more effort it can be done by hand.

Michael,

It seems we basically agree. You may have missed my point. Perhaps I was unclear, so please allow me to elaborate.

The presence of a bolster is certainly not a guarantee that a knife is forged, but it at least used to be a pretty good indicator. On a blade that is simply stamped, there is no bolster that is part of the blade. Period. However, with SCT (Separate Component Technology, or as Henckels puts it "Sintermetal Component Technology") a bolster can be added to a stamped blade.

According to Henckels' website, apparently they do not make forged knives at all anymore. They are all SCT technology, with the stamped blade and the bolster made of different metals. (Oh, say it ain't so!) It was this that led me to the comment that the WP knives were probably closer in quality to real knives than I had previously suspected, as I am pretty sure the WP knives that do not claim to be forged are made with SCT.

And yes, it is inappropriate (or at least unneccessary) for some knives to have bolsters, stamped or forged. Slicers and fillet knives come to mind. And ceramic knives need to be treated with even more respect than steel ones of any variety, because they break or chip far more easily.

All decent knives of which I know require hand-washing. My point was that I (somewhat facetiously) wanted a cheap knife I didn't need to worry about, so I could chuck it in the dishwasher, and that the WP stuff was cheap enough that I could do that. Twenty bucks for a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a (small) hardwood cutting board.

I am certainly not too lazy to wash my Henckels knives, but sometimes it just seems like too much of a production to make a cut or two, and then have to wash a knife. For instance, this afternoon I brought home a bunch of celery, and sighed because I needed to cut the end off it to stick it in a pitcher of water in the fridge. This was the only cut I needed to make, and I had just washed my chef's knife. I wished for a knife I could do this with and throw in the dishwashwer. If that's lazy, then I'm lazy.

Kelly

Ok, considering the last post was made over a year and a half ago, im not going to expect too many people to read this, but ill post anyways.

I received the 5 pc santoku set for christmas last year and must say im extremely happy with it. My sister picked it up at TJ Maxx for 15 to 20 bucks, and they are dropped forged, High carbon Stainless Steel. Now, because its carbon steel you dont want to just toss it into a dishwasher due to rust, but on the other hand, your not going to find a better value for knives. I work in kitchen at a wine bar where everything is made from scratch. These knives are used on a daily basis and are abused slightly. Well, abused as much as i can bring myself to abuse any knife, still would never use a dishwasher to wash a knife for any reason. Despite their abuse and constant use, i only have to sharpen them about 3 or 4 times a year. I know that sounds like a lot, but considering they are used 300+ days a year and for 10 to 12 hours a day, that isnt much. The home cook shouldnt need to properly sharpen these knives more than once a year, and even less if you own a diamond crusted steel. An outstanding deal all around, I would highly recommend them to anyone, even a fellow chef. Are they as good as Wustoff's? Heck no. But they are almost as good and worth more than they cost, as far as im concerned. Buy them and enjoy them.

Ok, considering the last post was made over a year and a half ago, im not going to expect too many people to read this, but ill post anyways.

Helpful comments are ALWAYS welcome and you never know when someone is searching. Thanks for the input!

I was wondering how I missed this. I considered the wolfgang puck knives, because I have a few pans from WP. What I found out is that yes the knives are stamped. They're also not really Wolfgang Puck brand per say. They're, well... cheap Chinese knives. I'm sure they can do the job, but I'm happy that I went for the forged knives that I like, HOWEVER if I had to do it all again, I would buy a complete set of forged genuine Victorinox knives. FOR SURE!

Back
Top Bottom