Hattori FH-6C Gyuto 210mm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeh, I'm not impressed yet, GB. I can shave the hair from my arm as well. I want to see the tomato drop test. After further sharpening, I get 3/4 through the tomato when it's dropped from 6 inches above the blade edge. C'mon. I know you're a pro. Show us the good stuff.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Is that you, GB? If that's really you, then I am now, officially impressed.:mrgreen:

Of course it's not like the world is gonna quit spinning in circles if I wasn't.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mine slices the edge of a finger quite nicely (llittle cut, very little, very fast reflexes while sharpening some more, this time on a newly made strop with jewelers rouge):LOL:

OK I tried the same test with a grape. There is no video of that test because it was unsuccessful. I was able to get the grape cut about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through, but I was not able to get a complete cut unless I caught the grape on the end, which does not count.

I have to say I normally cut my tomatoes while they sit on the cutting board, rarely do I fling em at the knife. :LOL:

I wonder if there is a better way to test sharpness. Hmm...

You are going to wear out your knife holding arm if you keep moving that knife back and forth Frank. Let the food do the work for you.

When you sharpen your knife, what equipment/technique are you using? I'm kind of new to the sharpening myself thing, and now that my Hattori showed up at school (but im at home now :( ), I should probably get good at this.

I do not trust myself to sharpen free hand so I use the Edgepro Apex system. It is a lot of money up front, but it is the gold standard for sharpening systems. I think it is worth every penny.

I do not trust myself to sharpen free hand so I use the Edgepro Apex system. It is a lot of money up front, but it is the gold standard for sharpening systems. I think it is worth every penny.

Hey! That's cheating! I sharpened my knife with a two and a half inch medium Smith's Arkansas Stone (600 grit). It's sharp enough to cut 3/4 way through the dropped tomato. Of course I've made a convex edge on my knife and a sharpening system just wouldn't be good for it. I'm hoping that my self-made strop and jeweler's rouge will take the knife to that final edge I'm looking for.

Gotta admit though, the video proves how good your edge is. It still deserves a well earned congrats.

I've played around with convexing on an EP, and it can be done easily with a bit of "creativity.":LOL: Try thin adhesive foam strips attached to EP blanks, with 3M PSA in various grits attached to the foam.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom