Hattori FH-6C Gyuto 210mm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I could not resist anymore. I broke down and bought this gorgeous knife. I got the Cocobolo wood handle instead of the black linen micarta. It can be seen here.

Now the wait begins.

Uh, GB, I'm your long, lost son, whose been searching for my parents for ten years. I recently discovered that you are my parent and I need one of those Hatori knives for my birthday. If you get me one, I promise, I'll cut the grass every week, and take out the trash, and do all of my household chores, on time. And Ill make you pancakes every Saturday morning.

So, can I have one? Please, please. I promise to do my homework, please?;):mrgreen:;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

So for our knife experts out there, I have heard that honing certain J knives is not quite the same as German knives or maybe even necessary. Is this true? I have a ceramic honing rod. If I do hone then should I use that or should I get something else?

Beautiful!!! You can see the superior hand made quality in the photo! Nice going!

Oooh, you dog!:mrgreen: Congrats! Overall I prefer micarta to wood unless it's something really exotic, but those wood handled Forums look great! A ceramic hone is a good tool for the FH/KF, or any J-knife. Just use a light touch and don't hone it until it needs it. That part seems to trip up many a line cook; people seem to think they have to flail away for five minutes a day when really it takes about 3 light strokes per side, and then just occasionally.

Again, congrats! The Forum Hattori is one of the nicest knives out there that's even remotely affordable.:mrgreen:

I will be sure to take pictures and maybe even video to post here. I can't wait!

Rob, you are right about how fast they are. I got an email last night saying to expect my knife in 3-5 days. I was not expecting a turn around that quick. I figured it would be closer to a full week at the earliest.

OK, here is another question for you since you have used this knife before. Will this be one that I will want to sharpen out of the box or should I just start using it right away as is and then sharpen down the line when needed? also, what degree would you recommend? I am thinking 15.

It will perform like a champion! I had one (sold it for reasons only an insane knifenerd will understand- I needed the money for another knife!) and it was incredible.

This thread has me seriously considering a purchase. Probably something out of the HD line. My current chefs knife is a 12" Victorinox but is too large for many tasks. I'm thinking an 8 or 10 inch would be better.

OK, here is another question for you since you have used this knife before. Will this be one that I will want to sharpen out of the box or should I just start using it right away as is and then sharpen down the line when needed? also, what degree would you recommend? I am thinking 15.

Mine was pretty sharp OOTB. It wears a bevel of about 15 degrees per side. It's differentially beveled (about 60/40) but that won't affect your angles- just sharpen as usual. Yours will probably be serviceably sharp OOTB.

This thread has me seriously considering a purchase. Probably something out of the HD line. My current chefs knife is a 12" Victorinox but is too large for many tasks. I'm thinking an 8 or 10 inch would be better.

Hattori makes great knives. The HF/KF is a special breed, but all their stuff is nice.

GB I think you're going to be the one that makes me finally get this knife. Once I get my Global sold (and I'm thinking the Shun as well) I'll probably skip the Kanetsune and just get this one. Can't wait for you to get yours!

Back
Top Bottom