How do I sharpen a single edge knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I got this pocket camping knife because I like to carry a blade mostly for opening packages and light cutting work that I may need throughout the day. I hate having something big and bulky in my pocket though. This knife seemed like the perfect solution. It is called the 22g because it only weighs 22 grams. It is made for hikers who need to pay close attention to weight. I do not think the knife itself is all that good, but it is fine for what I need it for. The problem is that bit is pretty dull ootb. Because of the design it is a single edge. I have never sharpened a single edge. How do I do it? I am using an edgepro system. Do I just sharpen one side without flipping it like usual and then remove the burr? It there anything different I should be doing?

img_998835_0_c0bc55d0d2be3a0331540d0a6143d961.png

img_998835_1_e59feca1ec8a77927d26bf4ee5c188c2.png

img_998835_2_482fc4439a68f3c850c896f01f9a3f75.png

You can either go thru all your stones and debur at the end or debur between each one. You can do it easily by hand on the same EP stones. After each stone and each time you debur, cut thru a wine cork if you have one.

I'm just hitting the sack but I can give you more detailed info tomorrow. But it's really not any different than any other edge; you do 99% of the work to one side.

Thanks Rob. That is exactly what I needed. And now I have an excuse to open a bottle of wine :)

How would I do that! Also, because of the design, would it make it more likely to cut me when in the closed position?

How would I do that! Also, because of the design, would it make it more likely to cut me when in the closed position?

Looking at your pics, the knife seems to have a full flat grind with a micro-bevel at the edge. The resolution is limited but am I correct? At any rate, do the "main" side just like you'd do any knife. Find the edge with a Sharpie and go at it as usual. If you really want to keep it "single bevel" (if it really is) then debur the back side totally flat on a stone. With a knife like that, a minor bevel on the back side will greatly enhance the durability and longevity of the edge. Flip it over and just grind the back. The exact angle isn't important so long as it's consistent, just keep the bevel small.

If I haven't been clear enough I'll address this again after a few hours sleep.:wacko::ROFLMAO:

That's certainly an interesting design, the way it folds with the blade exposed.
My EDC is a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur. It opens boxes very well ;^)

Thanks Rob. I think that makes sense.

Pacanis, I had a Swiss army knife I was carrying, but I felt like I had a pocketful of rocks. This knife weighs next to nothing and has a super thin profile. It is a trade off though because the blade itself is the dullest I own. It can slice through packing tape, eventually.

One of the benefits of it being such a crappy knife is that I am not scared to try stuff on it to make it better. I seriously doubt I could make it much worse.

One of the benefits of it being such a crappy knife is that I am not scared to try stuff on it to make it better. I seriously doubt I could make it much worse.

well, making it worse it is not hard....

here's the issue:
a "double bevel" at 15 degrees gives you a cutting edge with an included angle of 30 degrees.

going to a single/one sided bevel gives you an included angle of 15 degrees.
a slight back bevel of 1-2 degrees will increase the included angle, but . . .

the question is whether the blade material / metallurgy will 'support' a 15 degree included angle edge.

absolutely no question that a single side bevel of 15' is "sharper" than a double/both side bevel of included angle 30'. question is, for how long? or under what circumstances... if you're on the trail and only slicing ripe tomatoes, not likely to be an issue. how many pounds of ripe tomatoes do you pack? vs. how often do you shave down (dry) wood for kindling?

glitch is, when you're on the trail and don't have your sharpening equipment in the backpack.... will the 15' edge stand up or go to mush?
I'll take a double sided 30' included sharp knife on any mountain top vs. a rolled over dull single sided 15' bevel . . .

not familiar with that specific knife, some real life experimenting is required . . .

Last edited:
This is not a knife I will be using on the trail. This knife will be used for slicing through packing tape to open boxes and cutting tags off new clothes and stuff like that.

This is not a knife I will be using on the trail. This knife will be used for slicing through packing tape to open boxes and cutting tags off new clothes and stuff like that.

I use scissors and a utility knife for those tasks.

I like having something in my pocket for those or similar tasks. I am not always somewhere that I have scissors or a utility knife handy.

I know what you mean. I carry a little Swiss Army Knife for those times. It's crappy steel but very versatile with the combination of tools it provides.

I know what you mean. I carry a little Swiss Army Knife for those times. It's crappy steel but very versatile with the combination of tools it provides.

You never know when you are going to need micro scissors and a toothpick ;)

:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom