I am Unequipped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went and bought a drawer insert for my knives like the one pictured below. It was a little spendy, but I like the fact that it clears up valuable counter space. Another option is a magnetic wall mount, but I've always felt those are a little dangerous if you have any kids around, since the blades are exposed.
516sh%2BV5OwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I've seen those drawer holders. Not exactly what I meant by tossing your knives into a drawer. I have more counter space than drawer space, so use blocks. Sticking exposed blades to a wall sends shivers up my spine, although a lot of folks use them.

Steve--where'd you get that? I think I know the next woodworking project the DH will be asked to do...can you PM more information (size, etc.).

I was making a crown roast of pork at my sister's house, and was having trouble removing the chine bones, as they didn't have suitably sturdy knives. He and I went to the garage, put down newspaper, and went to work with the Saw's All. It worked like a champ. We still laugh about the manly way we took care of that task.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
A Sawzall is a standard tool in a packing house. Just the ticket for halving a steer.

When I was growing up and doing a lot of hunting, we cut up more than a few deer on a Dewalt radial.

I was making a crown roast of pork at my sister's house, and was having trouble removing the chine bones, as they didn't have suitably sturdy knives. He and I went to the garage, put down newspaper, and went to work with the Saw's All. It worked like a champ. We still laugh about the manly way we took care of that task.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
:LOL:We've used the band saw from time to time. A friend of mine had a 48 lb turkey one year. Her husband cut it up in the work shop using the band saw, and they have good knives--he sharpens knives (among other things) for a living.

CWS4322 said:
:LOL:We've used the band saw from time to time. A friend of mine had a 48 lb turkey one year. Her husband cut it up in the work shop using the band saw, and they have good knives--he sharpens knives (among other things) for a living.

Band saws are also standard butcher shop equipment. DH talks about using one in a butcher shop when he was about 15, no OSHA regs at that time.

Steve--where'd you get that? I think I know the next woodworking project the DH will be asked to do...can you PM more information (size, etc.).
CWS, I bought mine (two of them actually, though I haven't used the second one yet) on Amazon. Just do a search on "knife drawer insert" and several different models should come up.

I've seen those drawer holders. Not exactly what I meant by tossing your knives into a drawer. I have more counter space than drawer space, so use blocks. Sticking exposed blades to a wall sends shivers up my spine, although a lot of folks use them.

I like my knives conveniently within reach in their block, would think that opening a drawer all the time would be a bother.

Does anybody else have a rule to have only one knife in use at a time? Or two maybe?

I don't like the idea of leaving knives on the counter in the middle of cooking. I use a knife, run some hot water over it and wipe it with a towel, then put it back into the block. Not only safer but I don't have to look for a knife that I've misplaced.

I don't have a rule, but my kitchen anal retentiveness means I can't have more than one knife out at a time. I would like the insert--I don't like things on the counter except what I'm using to cook. Right now, I have to have the block on the counter. (It astounds me that I get any cooking done at all with how anal I am about keeping the kitchen counters clean...which they are not right now--the FP is out, there is a basket of chard waiting, etc., etc., etc.).

Last edited:
Maybe not a rule, just a practice, or "in the habit of." I'm a bit neatness obsessive too and having sharp knives laying about the counter bothers me. And if I unconsciously put something on top of the knife I might end up losing it for a few minutes.

My knife block, coffee maker and microwave were the three best spent use of my small kitchen counter space. I hope my next kitchen has a lot more room, even to leave the food processor out. Maybe even leave out that sous vide I covet. :)

I like the idea of the knives tucked away safely in the drawer. They also seem to stay cleaner there. When I had a knife block on the counter, I was always having to wipe grease and dust off the thing. No right or wrong, just my own preference.

I like the idea of the knives tucked away safely in the drawer. They also seem to stay cleaner there. When I had a knife block on the counter, I was always having to wipe grease and dust off the thing. No right or wrong, just my own preference.
I agree. I always seem to be bumping it over. I don't like to do "deep cleaning" and a greasy knife block always seems to collect dust, so has to undergo deep cleaning on a regular basis (before I got my Shark EuroPro steamer, deep cleaning often involved tooth brushes, cotton swabs and hours of time). The Shark EuroPro is like having a pressure washer for inside. For really grimy stuff, there is always the pressure washer! I have cleaned the oven racks and the stove burner pans with the pressure washer...but I am not an obsessively tidy person, I do have clutter in other rooms, it is just I have a thing about a clean kitchen and clean bathroom. Oh, and floors. And windows...you'd think three years' of therapy would've cured me of this...I guess not. I just restrict the rooms where I deep clean now.

I never ever put my knives away with anything on them at all. My block is as clean as it was the day I bought it. Often hot water rinse and wipe are as much as they need, but if necessary (if they're greasy) I'll use hot soapy water until there's no residue left.

My block was out of the way next to my refrigerator not my stove so the block doesn't get grease splattered on it. I would occasionally remove all the knives and run a damp cloth over the surface to remove dust or anything else.

My block's grooves go all the way through and I occasionally look to see if there's anything inside.

The only thing I see is wear on the bottom edge due to repeatedly removing/inserting the knives, which is of course to be expected.

My block's grooves go all the way through and I occasionally look to see if there's anything inside.

The only thing I see is wear on the bottom edge due to repeatedly removing/inserting the knives, which is of course to be expected.

I place my knives into the block with the sharp edge up. This keeps the edge from running on the wood, as I slide them in and out of the block. It protects both the knife edge, and the block.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I place my knives into the block with the sharp edge up. This keeps the edge from running on the wood, as I slide them in and out of the block. It protects both the knife edge, and the block.

Well, I'll admit I never thought of that! :) However it would probably take me years to retrain myself. You know, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

TL, just curious what brand you got. I've never seen a knife block configured horizontally.

There's something about edge up knives that makes me uncomfortable.
Me too. I was told never to point a sharp object or a bullet at anything I did not want to hurt. I use horizontal blocks. They are widely available. I think CKTG and Cutlery and more both have them. I have also seen them locally

tg

Well, I'll admit I never thought of that! :) However it would probably take me years to retrain myself. You know, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

TL, just curious what brand you got. I've never seen a knife block configured horizontally.
Henckel, it looks like this:

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3194.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 219
Back
Top Bottom