I bought a baby Santoku...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
...and I love it! It has about a 4" blade. It has now come to my husband's attention - I have a knife fetish - oh well.:ROFLMAO:

As soon as I can find the computer cord to my camera I'll post a pic alongside the "mother".

Edited to say it's a Kitchen Aid knife

Last edited:
These are most of my knives

The top knife in this pic is a knife from Japan - I'm sure what the Santoku's were modeled after - it's about 40 years old. The other two is the regular Santoku and then the baby - isn't it cute?
img_138949_0_d5b8c096bf8a2cc90c0fa533e899fc2d.jpg

img_138949_1_7584d8b81439f141761d922b8a5de1d9.jpg

Last edited:
that's a lot of knives, elf! mind tossing a few my way? not literally, lol!:LOL:
i love your santokus.
i just started a thread about them cause i'm getting one tomorrow.

Reminder to self--don't make elf mad!!

I have small hands so I like the thought of using the baby santoku. It's probably a lot easier to manage!

It's REALLY small PA - The blade isn't practical for a lot of things. You can find a Sankatu made with a smaller handle - I think Chicago Cutlery has a fairly small one. Went looking with a friend and there was one that was just waay too small - might have been that one. He ended up buying a solid one - handle and blade is one piece.

And to think - I actually used to "throw" knives - but those are weighted differently - These you would just have to "wing" and hope for the best :mrgreen:

kitchenelf said:
It's REALLY small PA - The blade isn't practical for a lot of things. You can find a Sankatu made with a smaller handle - I think Chicago Cutlery has a fairly small one.

A santoku is on my wish list so I'll keep that in mind. What sorts of things do you plan on using your baby one for?

GB said:
Elf you can only use that knife to slice baby corn :-p
:-p:mrgreen:

PA - I've used it for tomatoes (I've got it ultra sharp) - I used it for slicinig then dicing peppers - there's lots of things to use it for but if you want a Santaku get the big one first.

The friend was me. I needed a new chef knife after breaking the tang on mine while cutting onions. I ended up getting a Santoku, pairing knife combination from Chicago Cutlery, It is all metal solid tang. It has nice weight and it sits very nice in my hand. I think that is the most important part of buying a knife. You want it to be something that you like to hold for long periods of time.phil

Um, KitchenElf, didn't you say you were going to give me your address and leave the backdoor unlocked? ROFL

NICE knives ... What is that cleaver that looks like it has a knob on the top?

The top one looks like my Japanese cleaver.
When I think of "small hands" I think more of the size of the handle and not the blade.
LOVE LOVE my santoku. Since getting it a couple of years ago it is my favorite chopping/mincing knife. And mine is not an expensive one--a Wusthof from Amazon. I got all our children the expensive Wusthof and while the blade is appreciably heavier, mine does a great job.

Back
Top Bottom