I can't cut fast with knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cut myself from time to time. One was bad enough that I almost went to the emergency room. Typically because I was careless.

What I don't understand is some folks fear of using a mandolin/V-Slicer. These machines all come with a food holder specifically designed to keep your fingers away from the blade(s). I have never cut myself on my V-Slicer cutting veggies. Just use the food holder!

I use the food holder for the appropriate foods, e.g., slicing cabbage is what I consider inappropriate for the food holder. Even with food that is appropriate, it gets to a nub that can only be safely sliced while wearing a glove, e.g., carrots.

I use the food holder for the appropriate foods, e.g., slicing cabbage is what I consider inappropriate for the food holder. Even with food that is appropriate, it gets to a nub that can only be safely sliced while wearing a glove, e.g., carrots.

Rather than using the slicer for the "nubs", I'd finish with a knife or just toss the nubs. The food holder for my slicer takes onions down to one slice, which I toss.

I cant even watch people using a mandolin, I cringe ( cause I know what it feels like), and rarely ( if ever) do they use the food holder on the cooking shows ( or at least no the ones ive viewed)

I usually end up cutting my fingers. Can anyone teach me the best method to cut veggies fast?

The fastest way is with a pinch grilp and a rocking/slicing motion with a chef's knife, or a chopping cut with a santoku, or small cleaver. The hand holding the food aganst the cutting boatd is shaped as a claw, taking care to fold the thumb behind. This takes practice, lots of practice. Do it slow at first, using the middle knuckle of you fingers as a guide for controlling the thickness of your slices. As you get comfortable with the motion, and develop muscle memory, your speed will gtadually increase. There is no way ariund it. It takes practise to develop the skill.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know this thread is old, but just wanted to mention, for those who don't like to use the "claw", I like to use a cut resistant glove on my holding hand. Much easier. They're inexpensive so you can get multiple and just throw it in the laundry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom