I'm looking to buy a Japanese knife set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason, I can't edit my post. Just to clarify - I'm not interested in buying anything used, so I would appreciate if anyone got any Japanese knife set tips (within my budget) - brands etc.

The forum only allows post editing for about 20 minutes. I don't know anything about Japanese knife sets, so maybe someone else will come a long who does.

My advice: if you're planning to spend that much on a knife set, go to a cutlery shop and try several different brands first. What works well for one person may not necessarily work well for your needs.

To put it another way, would you buy a car without first test driving it?

Budget: $1800 +/-

My advice: if you're planning to spend that much on a knife set, go to a cutlery shop and try several different brands first. What works well for one person may not necessarily work well for your needs.

To put it another way, would you buy a car without first test driving it?
In my experience, "cutlery shops" doesn't have a great selection of Japanese knives. So I either have to buy the knives while I'm traveling, or online. Either way, I would like to take notes if someone had any brands that I should definately try (to avoid). :)

If you scan through out Knives Forum, you may find some older discussions about different brands of Japanese knives.

IMO, buying knives for kitchen prep is like buying shoes. Even though the box has my size on it, I still have to try them on. Maybe I'll find that a German made 8" chef's knife suits me better than a Japanese one, but that Japanese paring knife is more comfortable than its German counter part. I would never buy a knife on line, unless it were the exact same model I had tried in a store.

My knives were bought without trying them and I love using them.

My feet fit in properly sized shoes as well.

My knives were bought without trying them and I love using them.

My feet fit in properly sized shoes as well.

Congratulations on having standard appendages! :LOL: ;) I tried three different sizes of the same boots through Amazon in December - none fit well. Thank goodness for free returns. I won't buy footwear or knives without trying them on first, either.

Congratulations on having standard appendages! :LOL: ;) I tried three different sizes of the same boots through Amazon in December - none fit well. Thank goodness for free returns. I won't buy footwear or knives without trying them on first, either.

What GG said.

And if one is in the market for knives that cost $2000 bucks, I can't imagine not trying them out before buying.

Budget: $1800 +/-

I've used nothing but Japanese knives for years. My ideas:

First, in the US $1800 buys a lot of knife. Unless you are looking for art, half that is plenty.

Second, I'd rethink that set thing. 99% of my knife work is done with three knives. A 240MM Gyuto, a Nakiri and a small petty similar to a paring knife. A nakiri looks similar to a small cleaver but is designed for vegetable prep. Add to that a carving knife and a good veggie peeler and you can do all kitchen tasks. I regard steak knives as tableware. Add to that that they are used against ceramics, and therefore are subject to abuse, I buy inexpensive steak knives w/serrated edges and toss them when dull.

Third, While trying before you buy is ideal, in my area that limits you to a very few brands. Well made knives are well balanced knives, and if you use a pinch grip, balance is everything, Handle doesn't make much difference. Only one finger is wrapped around the handle. Probably no more than 3 or 4 brands of Japanese are available in my area.

Forth, what about sharpening? Nearly all J knives today come sharp out of the box, and unless abused, good ones will stay sharp for a while. But sooner or later they need at least touching up. Most J's are biased at least slightly and few if any sharpeners will do them justice. The choices are to learn to sharpen or find a good professional familiar with Japanese knives. The guy at the flea market with a grinder will know nothing of Japanese knives. Check out a few of the internet knife forums for sharpening instructions and tips. You will find them also helpful with purchasing and brand reviews.

As for brands, The steel is what matters. Steels fall in general into semi stainless and high carbon steel. I have semi stainless. If you know little of knives, that's probably your best bet.

I use Kanetsune Damascus knives. VG 10 steel layered with a softer less brittle outer metal. They work very well in the kitchen. Other similar brands would be Shun and Tojiro DP. Tojiro is in my opinion a best buy. I'm very pleased with my Kanetsune knives. I have a couple of DP's. Very good at half the price of other VG 10 blades.

Availability in Europe may differ from the US. Japanese Chefs Knives (JapaneseChefsKnife.Com Top Page Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Cutlery,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com) ships direct from Seki, Japan and offers a wide variety of knives, all IMO quality knives.

I would buy if I were you, three or four VG 10 blades, a Gyuto, a Nakiri, and a petty, and storage method, A block, or a magnetic strip. You can always add more later. If you really really want a set, Shun I believe come in sets and are readily available.

1st of all... Nice budget!!! LOL

Since you are looking for a set, try - http://www.amazon.com/Enso-Hammered...F8&qid=1463441520&sr=1-5&keywords=enso+hd+set

However, be aware that these are rebadged Yaxell Zen knives, superbly sharp, edge responds to a ceramic rod well, well-balanced and handles well, well-made, the handle itself could stand to be slightly more shaped to be truly perfect. Better/sharper and prettier than Shuns, blows German knives out of the water, costs less. So...big value on a quality set.

1st of all... Nice budget!!! LOL

Since you are looking for a set, try - Amazon.com: Enso HD Hammered Damascus 20-piece Walnut Knife Block Set: Home & Kitchen

However, be aware that these are rebadged Yaxell Zen knives, superbly sharp, edge responds to a ceramic rod well, well-balanced and handles well, well-made, the handle itself could stand to be slightly more shaped to be truly perfect. Better/sharper and prettier than Shuns, blows German knives out of the water, costs less. So...big value on a quality set.

All that means nothing if they aren't comfortable in your hand.:rolleyes:

All that means nothing if they aren't comfortable in your hand.:rolleyes:

Note too that there are no reviews - they haven't sold any because nobody goes to Amazon for a $1500 knife set, particularly of a brand that's not a familiar name.

I guarantee that I'll never buy a set of knives for that kind of money, but then I'm with the general consensus that you don't buy knife "sets". You build a "set suited to your needs that fits your hand. I sure wouldn't buy all of those knives, most of which would rarely, if ever, get used (11 in that set, not counting the steak knives). I do at least 95% of my kitchen work with 3 knives.

Last edited:
My youngest son is a professional chef-line cook, who does everything from prep, to crating the master meal. I purchased for him a Chroma Type 301 Santoku knife as his first professional knife. He loved it. Hea has since purchased a salmon knife, a bread knife, a ten inch chef's knife, and a couple others, all Chroma Type 301. His latest purchase was the 10 inch chef's knife with dimples hammered onto the blade to combat food sticking to it.

Before the Chroma, he'd tried some other German knives. He states that the funky looking metal handle is the most comfortable, and useful handle he has ever used, especially with the pinch grip. Its shape allows great blade angle control, with the ability to really push down with the heel of your had.

My own 10 inch chef's knife by Chroma is the most comfortable, stable, and slip free knife I've ever used. I don't have anything to do with the company, except to love the product. For mine, and my son's hands, the knives are perfect. If a ten inch chef's knife is too large, they have them in the 8 inch size as well.

There are knife wielders here that will tell you that I'm crazy, and don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Chroma Type 301 knives. I know what I've used, and how the tools I choose work for me.

So if you do like the look or feel of these knives or not, they are worth a look.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom