Inexpensive Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
You guys are all making me so envious. And I WILL get one of those expensive knives one of these days, maybe after Xmas 2020, hehehe. Seriously tho, till I'm able to get a few pieces, which I will do one at a time, are there any inexpensive alternatives? I've seen a few by the names you've mentioned, that were inexpensive. However, just cuz they are inexpensive, does that mean they are worthless??

Cindy, what's most important in a knife is that it be well balanced, a full tang knife, and feel like an extension of your arm. Just because a knife is inexpensive does not automatically mean that it is "cheao!" OTOH, I would recommend that you invest in ONE good knife that you custom choose for yourself by trying out lots of different ones.

go try out the ones you cannot afford first, and then look for one in your price range that feels the most like the one you liked best.

Knives are like a car, mattress or, mate....it is a long term investment. I weigh ALL my investments, like financial investments, WHAT IS MY RETURN!....

I would Rather sink my heart mind and soul into something worthwhile, then replace it 100 times. Just my $.02...

If you need a cheap knives, my family has always used Chicago Cutlery knives with great success. They get the job done for home-cooking tasks.

ChefJune said:
Cindy, go try out the ones you cannot afford first, and then look for one in your price range that feels the most like the one you liked best.

Excellent advice, thank you!!! :) You forgot the part about writing down the one that you like, the price and START SAVING!!!! LoL hehehe

I live in a small town, I like it that way, but sometimes we don't have places to get the things we want. We have a WalMarts. ROFLMAO ... :)

Hi Cindy,
I agree with Chef June, the balance and the way it fits your hand is the secret!

In fact I got a set of Hamilton Forge Santoku's; an 8", a 6" and a 3" for less than $10.00 (TARGET)
I previously got a 10" Santoku for $9.95 at "Linens and Things"

These knives have a hard Plastic handle. The shank is riveted through the handle with three rivets.

The curve of the handle fits my hand perfectly. The 3" Sandoku
is not balanced too good when used as a paring knife.

They are all sharp enough to slice a tomato 1/8" thick.

I prefer the Sandoku to a Chefs Knife in that the blade is more flat to the surface and makes a clean cut the entire length of the item you are slicing, chopping or othr wise cutting.

When they get dull I'll just buy another set.

I can buy 8 or more knives for the price of one of the popular brands.

Charlie

I probably should have mentioned that I'm right handed and I have small hands, well, short fingers. :)

Thanks everyone, you've given me a few things to think about. Might visit Linen & Things in a couple of weeks, hope they have open packages so I can get the feel of something.

You can shop on Amazon and get good buys on quite good knives also. I got my Wusthof Santoku for $29.95. I've forgotten which "model" but I had also gotten the top of the line santokus for our kids--also Wusthof. I like mine a bit better although all are VERY good.
Victorinox makes a line of knives that are heavily used in the restaurant industry because they have plastic handles. I have a number of these for my paring knives. I also gave this brand to our children for bread knives.
I have never seen the need for a block of matching knives. I use about 3 knives constantly--my 10" or 12" Henckels chef that I have had for 40 years,the santoku, and the paring knives and then assorted other chef's and slicers of differing labels. My bread knife is a serrated knife and not expensive. I have also never seen the wisdom of spending $100 for a bread knife.
So, take a look at Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond and especially Amazon. Shipping is usually free. I have a Chicago Cutlery boning knife so well loved that it has lost a good part of its blade from sharpening.
And all that everyone has said about "feel in the hand" is true, but I reserve that for when I am spending big bucks on the knife I'm going to have forever. Usually I can quite adapt to what I am using.

While I have spent more money than I like to think about on first line knives (and generally not regretted it), if you want a good, inexpensive, serviceable knife that will get the job done, look at the Victorinox Fibrox. They have a full range of shapes and sizes. An 8" or 10" chef's knife will be under $25. We used them at a restaurant where I worked, and I have to admit they're not bad at all. They take a good edge and hold it well, and I was able to use them for long periods of time without undo fatigue. FWIW.

I forgot to mention that Wusthof has recently retired their Grand Prix Line and came out with the Grand Prix II line. I happened to be knife shopping just as this was beginning and was able to pick up a $130 knife for $50 because the store wanted to make room for the new inventory. I'm guessing that most of the Grand Prix knives have been bought already, but since you live in a small town it might be worth your while to have a look at a few specialty kitchen stores in your area. And if you are comfortable purchasing knives online without testing them first then I would definitely reccommend searching online to see what deals you can find.

I have some Forschner knives that are cheap, stamped and not whole tang either. But they sure do knife work well. Very much worth the money.

thymelless

Linens & things or any other decent store for that matter should have no problem letting you get the feel for different knives. Find something you like, thank them for their time & go home & see if you can get it online cheaper. If you can, let them know, maybe they'll match the price

I might make a trip next week, still fighting a cold, don't feel like thinking. LOL The thing I don't like about Linen and Things is that the service people keep stopping and asking if I need help. Then we I DO need help, no one is around. :)

Hi Cindy and welcome to DC. I don't believe that because a knife doesn't cost a lot of money it isn't good.

Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens' Things are good places to look at various kitchen tools. I guess I have been lucky because when I visit these places I would usually find what I was looking for and if I had a guestion I got someone to help me immediately.

i'm sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. i just meant that when i go for something specific, and i'm in the right area, and i'm looking and THINKING, i don't like being disturbed hehe

I got a pretty cheap (don't mean inexpensive either :) - I mean CHEAP) from my grocery store - spend so much and get something for free. I keep them properly sharpened and they have done the job well. There's a few I have removed and replaced in the block with my favorites though.

I love my good knives - without a doubt. I guess what I'm trying to say is even the inexpensive knives work great if taken care of properly. The edge may need a little extra attention to keep sharpened but that's ok too.

again, i'm sorry, if i seem a bit snippy, i don't mean to, i've just had a cold for the past week and it starting to get to me :-(

Back
Top Bottom