Is a magnetic knife bar safe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
personally, i wouldnt use anything where the knife makes direct contact with metal (especially with a harder steel)...it could scratch the knife at best, and damage the edge at worst....ive heard great things about the mag bloks, and would get one if i had a good place in my kitchen for them (and if my wife didnt think of them as the "death rack")
Mine are coated with something so there does not seem to be a metal on metal contact, but for me it wouldn't make much difference. If it effected my knives I wouldn't be using them.

Not in my kitchen. Like some cellphone carriers it will only allow a limited number of friends and will not hold some of my different ones. :chef:

I have these knives. I have several other small inexpansive knives.

Wusthof Classic
2 1/2" Paring knife (which is curved and looks like a mini boning knife)
3 1/2" Paring knife
5" Santoku
6" Cook's knife
6" Cleaver
Cuisinart
5" Santoku
2 Piece Carving set (I keep these in original box)

All have blade covers (except the cleaver which I have hanging by the hole on my wall) and I keep them in an OXO Stainless Steel Utensil Holder blade up.

Here's the exception. It is next to impossible to remove the 220x110mm Chuckabocho on the left in the normal way because of the strength of the magnetic attraction. It must be slid downward off the Mag-Blok. It doesn't damage the edge as it protrudes slightly beyond the left end of the wood.

another reason why a mag bar with exposed metal may not be the best choice....i think the noise of sliding that knife across metal would be like nails on a chalkboard to me

...i think the noise of sliding that knife across metal would be like nails on a chalkboard to me

That's really not an issue. There is no sliding. You lift it off, you put it on. My knife blades have marks on them from sharpening but none from the magnets.

That's really not an issue. There is no sliding. You lift it off, you put it on. My knife blades have marks on them from sharpening but none from the magnets.

i was just referring to the chuckabocho that buzz posted...agreed that there should be no sliding with pretty much any other knife

I am wondering the same thing. I have my knives in a couple of blocks, mostly because I have more counter space than wall space. The blocks store the knives flat, my preference because the blocks do not cut up by the knives.

Yes, I'd mentioned earlier that if you need to store them in a block, flat is best. But, unless you are paying attention to each time you put a knife in or take it out, taking care not to hit the blade against the wood (this is why flat is better, the blade doesn't rest on the block this way) it's just that much more wear on the blade. The mag bar does not put any wear at all unless you consider the non-business side of the blade. I know it seems ridiculous to some, but as much as I pay for a nice knife, I want it to last a long time and not get worn by sharpening due to extra wear.

This is more so for cheaper knives, btw, the steel is generally not a good quality. I haven't used a block for many years, so I don't know about the more quality blades.

Wear on a knife edge due to a wooden block is negligible. You can slice and chop on a wooden cutting board for hours and not damage the blade. The wood surfaces of a block would be no different. ;)

Well, if you're not using either an end grain wooden board of a Sani-Tuff rubber board then I can guarantee the result will be premature edge wear. :cool:

I'll have to try one of those Sani-Tuff boards, it sounds great. Not only wont food slip around, but it is nonporous and easy on the blades ... thanks for the info!

Wear on a knife edge due to a wooden block is negligible. You can slice and chop on a wooden cutting board for hours and not damage the blade. The wood surfaces of a block would be no different. ;)

my block has the knives lying flat, and the edges dont hit the block when i remove them....but i agree with buzz that even if they did hit the block, its not going to make any difference at all....it would be the same thing as taking one extra, very light pass on your cutting board

my worry with mag bars (not blok) that have exposed metal is that the possibility of damage is always there, especially if someone else decides to use your knife (the magnets are stronger than most people realize)....most people can safely operate a knife block...and since thats the case, why bother scratching up your pretty knife, even if it doesn't affect performance?

my worry with mag bars (not blok) that have exposed metal is that the possibility of damage is always there, especially if someone else decides to use your knife (the magnets are stronger than most people realize)....most people can safely operate a knife block...and since thats the case, why bother scratching up your pretty knife, even if it doesn't affect performance?

That's not a consideration in our kitchen, DW and I are the only 2 people using the knives and she is far more capable than I.

my concern was exposed sharp knife blades when my girls were young.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom